DRC..Softballs first recruiting crop

OldTimer

Wood signs with UNT

Former Sanger pitcher to be part of first softball team

11/20/2002

By Tim MacMahon / Staff Writer

Former Sanger standout pitcher Amber Wood is one of 13 members of the North Texas softball program?s initial signing class, which was announced Tuesday.

Wood, a 5-10 righthander who earned all-state honors while leading the Lady Indians to a Class 3A state title in 2000, said she signed with UNT because she wanted to play with coach Stacy Segal, her former coach at Navarro College.

"I thought she was an excellent coach," said Wood, who set the Navarro College record with 120 strikeouts as a freshman. "UNT is just starting up a program, and I think she?ll put together an awesome program. I?m really excited."

Wood, who turned down a scholarship offer from Stephen F. Austin, said the fact that UNT is located a short drive from her hometown didn?t play much of a factor in her decision, though she is pleased her parents will be able to see her play.

"Maybe I can get a home-cooked meal every once in a while," she said.

Wood is one of five junior-college players in the recruiting class. The others are middle infielder Kelei Walker of Navarro, left-handed pitcher Mandy Hacker of Blinn Junior College and third baseman/catcher Ana Vega and shortstop Brittiniy Chapman of Central Arizona Junior College.

Eight high school players also signed with the Mean Green, four each from the states of Oklahoma and Texas. Signees from north of the Red River include outfielder Crosby Dyke, first baseman Heather Bostic and utility players Susan Waters and Maureen Kelly. The four high school players from the state of Texas to sign with UNT are pitcher/utility player Katy Maxey, first baseman/outfielder Monica Garcia, outfielder JoAnn Jones and catcher Christen Jones.

"We have received commitments from everyone we have wanted," said Segal, who was hired in August. "I am very excited about this class. These young ladies have the opportunity to initiate a collegiate softball program, which is one thing that not everyone has the opportunity to do."

TIM MACMAHON can be reached at 940-381-9572.

• 3 weeks later...

I graduated from Sanger and was gone when Amber & Co. won it all. The Sanger program is young and I think the championship season was only their third or so.

It has been competitive every season though.

I have never seen a softball game though, so I will definetly have to check it out.

Hello Harry-

Our schedule will be EXTREMELY COMPETITIVE! I anticipate that we will compete against many of the Top 25 teams in the nation.  Upon completion, I will post. 

GO MEAN GREEN!

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation Coach!!

I look forward to the start of the softball program and will be bringing, hopefully, a future Lady Eagle ball player to a few games. The best of luck as you build a program we can all be proud of. Do you know where your home games will be played?

Stan-

Im very familiar with the apartment complex across the street from the BearKat stadium. My former teams have played there numerous times. It is GREAT to know that there are MANY different apts. located within walking distance of our soon to be new stadium.... SEE YOU AT THE BALLPARK!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

ss

Dear UNTLifer-

What a great name!!! Would love to have you and your daughter attend our games. Maybe a future bat girl??? The program is off to a fantastic start having a wonderful early signing period. Recently, we just received two more verbal committments!!!

Our home games will more than likely be played at North Lakes Park. In 2004-2005 our stadium will be complete at Liberty Christian School.

SEE YOU AT THE BALLPARK!

GO MEAN GREEN!

ss

Dear UNTLifer-

What a great name!!!  Would love to have you and your daughter attend our games. Maybe a future bat girl??? The program is off to a fantastic start having a wonderful early signing period.  Recently, we just received two more verbal committments!!!

Our home games will more than likely be played at North Lakes Park. In 2004-2005 our stadium will be complete at Liberty Christian School.

SEE YOU AT THE BALLPARK!

GO MEAN GREEN!

ss

Well, actually it is my 11 year old neice, but I'm sure we will be coming to watch a few games. The best of luck starting our newest athletic program.