Arkansas Swaps Dates For Kentucky, North Texas Games

mgsteve

myrtle beach online

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Arkansas has swapped the dates of the Kentucky and North Texas games on this year's football schedule, a move the university made at the request of the Southeastern Conference.

Arkansas now will play Kentucky on Sept. 22 and North Texas on Sept. 29, both in Fayetteville. Kentucky officials had asked to move the Arkansas game because they were worried about the Wildcats having to make two road trips within a five-day stretch.

Arkansas opens its season Sept. 1 with a home game against Troy. Other non-conference opponents for the Razorbacks include Chattanooga and Florida International.

The Razorbacks begin SEC play Sept. 15 at Alabama

Arkansas now will play Kentucky on Sept. 22 and North Texas on Sept. 29, both in Fayetteville. Kentucky officials had asked to move the Arkansas game because they were worried about the Wildcats having to make two road trips within a five-day stretch.

Awwww, boo-hoo!

Edited by UNTFan23

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - Arkansas has swapped the dates of the Kentucky and North Texas games on this year's football schedule, a move the university made at the request of the Southeastern Conference.

Arkansas opens its season Sept. 1 with a home game against Troy. Other non-conference opponents for the Razorbacks include Chattanooga and Florida International.

Maybe Arkansas should look at moving into the Sun Belt. I mean, it's an up-and-coming league, they'd be competitive almost immediately, and they would have a natural (competitive) geographic rival in Ark State.

Awwww, boo-hoo!

---Sometimes we tend to forget these players are students and very few will make a career of sports... Also tired and beat-up players are more injury prone. If it was no problem to us it was the best thing to do. Unfortunately there are some athletes that forget this too and don't prepare themselves very well for their future after their playing days are over. Let us hope others are sympathic to us when we ask for a break. Being a hardnose probably means they would not schedule us again either.

---This is also a reason to not being a WAC member, too much and difficult travel and the amount of class time missed because of it. Our athletes are not professionals and very few will ever be. It is a bigger problem with basketball players that have "weekday" games.

--Personally I think it might be to our advantage to have our game after they have begun conference play. They would likely be more concerned about conference games and might not prepare for us as well. The weather later in September is usually better also.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Maybe Arkansas should look at moving into the Sun Belt. I mean, it's an up-and-coming league, they'd be competitive almost immediately, and they would have a natural (competitive) geographic rival in Ark State.

Big thing here in Arkansas with Broyles leaving his post is that Arkansas may now actually play ASU or UCA in football sometime in tge future as Broyles would not allow the games to take place.

Let me get this straight......... Arkansas' out-of-conference opponents are NT, FIU, Troy and UT-Chattanooga......... Wow........ I know the SEC is tough, but come on, talk about gaping holes in a top tier program's strength of schedule!

I would like to see U of A start playing ASU, but UCA is a bit too much of a stretch.

----They do this partly to assure themselves of enough wins season to be bowl eligible. This may be ridiculious but by doing this, we and other places get money to help maintain our programs. Be careful to not bite the hand that feeds us. At one time it was very difficult to get them to schedule us at all but now they will, partially because of the current BCS rules and bowl eligible rule. With this type of schedule it is tough for them to justify a top 10 ranking when they get close to the top unless they really blow those lower teams out. It is also why lower BCS teams want no part of us, they are afraid they might lose and not be bowl elgible.... remember SMU last year... one victory short...... and we defeated them. I do think it is crazy to schedule I-AA teams at least by those BCS "powerhouses".

--- Florida (#1) had Florida State, Southern Miss, plus blowouts of UCF and Western Carolina on their schedule last year. Texas (1 in 2005) had Ohio State, plus blowouts of Rice and LaLa on their schedules.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Let me get this straight......... Arkansas' out-of-conference opponents are NT, FIU, Troy and UT-Chattanooga......... Wow........ I know the SEC is tough, but come on, talk about gaping holes in a top tier program's strength of schedule!

I would like to see U of A start playing ASU, but UCA is a bit too much of a stretch.

UCA is not to much of a stretch since they are playing a 1-AA in UT-C, UCA in their first year as a 1-AA finished in Top 25 so they are rapidly improving program.

----They do this partly to assure themselves of enough wins season to be bowl eligible. This may be ridiculious but by doing this, we and other places get money to help maintain our programs. Be careful to not bite the hand that feeds us. At one time it was very difficult to get them to schedule us at all but now they will, partially because of the current BCS rules and bowl eligible rule. With this type of schedule it is tough for them to justify a top 10 ranking when they get close to the top unless they really blow those lower teams out. It is also why lower BCS teams want no part of us, they are afraid they might lose and not be bowl elgible.... remember SMU last year... one victory short...... and we defeated them. I do think it is crazy to schedule I-AA teams at least by those BCS "powerhouses".

--- Florida (#1) had Florida State, Southern Miss, plus blowouts of UCF and Western Carolina on their schedule last year. Texas (1 in 2005) had Ohio State, plus blowouts of Rice and LaLa on their schedules.

NT provided the blow out for UT in 2006, but it still couldn't offset a loss to K-State. I know we need the $$$$$ from these games, but in the past several years they are a waste of the fans' time and money to make these trips. I've made my share, but will stongly consider not doing it again.

BEAT SMU in DALLAS TOO!!!!

Yeah, that's a VERY weak non-conference schedule. I know they have a home-and-home schedule with Texas in '08 and '09 and I think they're working out the details for a home-and-home with TCU some time in the next five years, but it seems like they only intend to play one decent non-conference opponent each year. Our old pal, DD, should be happy to know that Utah State will be making the trek to Fayetteville for one of those dreaded 'money games' in '08.