An Idea To Increase Attendence And Reconnect Alums

---TxTech has one game a year in which they invite the marching Band alums to return to campus and participate in some activities. My wife is a Tech band alum and what they do is meet about 2:00 and practice a simple routine (with their instruments) which becomes part (or all) of the opening ceremony for that evenings game. They march out and do the pre-game with is rather simple compared to a half-time show. This reconnects the alums with the university plus they often get to see some of their friends that they were in band with years ago. The 1999 North Texas game (9-18-99) was a band-alum game and my wife had planed to do it but woke up with a head-ache and we did not go... Wish we had, NT won 21-14. Tech alums out here were ready to lynch S.Dykes after that game but later calmed down until UT beat the "devil" out of them (58-7).... He was fired and Leach appeared the next year.

---This is usually done early in the year when the weather is still good plus it may interest the alums in returning for the rest of the seasons' games. We seem to have several here in GMG that were in the NT marching band and I will bet they would like to do this. Of course these alums also bring family, husbands, kids, etc. to the game as well which increase the attendance as well. It also helps connect those kids to the university to be on campus, explore the place, and see "mommy or dad" march. We could use some more loyality and spirit at NT. Kids also love to wear college T-shirts etc. as well.

---When I was a kid, I was in Boy Scouts and Baylor had one game a year that we were allowed in for free if we were in uniform. My first two college games to see were Baylor games ( I still remember the opponents, Rice once and Villanova once). It was a way to introduce us to a college campus and years later I actually considered going there when I graduated (thank goodness I didn't) This offer was extended quite some distance because I lived about 100 miles from Baylor but we went. This a lot better idea than just allowing every kid in sight in because we had some supervision and weren't a bunch a outlaws anyway.

---In both cases the games chosen for Band-Alum Day and Boy Scout Day were games that were not going to be sell outs anyway because the opponent was far away, small etc. Usually but not always Tech uses a non-conference game. In our case we have conference foes that bring few fans. I am sure it would help the attendance on those days.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Some things to think about. I'm not saying I don't like the idea. But these are the first things that come to mind:

- The way a lot of the alumn left the band that I was in, you'd have to pay them to suit up and march in the Texas heat again. Most members are in it because it's a MuED requisite, not because they love it as much as I did...or Debbie. In fact, it got pretty tense in a "talk to the Dean" day I recall where a few Brigaders stood up and wanted him to explain why they had to do 3 seasons of such a grueling schedule for only 1 credit hour each semester.

- How many would actually show up? They do alumni band for homecoming here @ UTEP and you'll see anywhere from 20 - 40 people show up any given year.

- I like the idea (free games for me!), but I'd like to hear some more opinions about it.

How about this idea: a high school night for the Green Brigade...

- invite a high school band from the area to sit in the stands and play with the GB. The teens would absolutely eat it up.

- you wouldn't be restricted to just one week. You could pick as many games as you can stand the kids, and choose from any of the bands not just in Denton but in the metroplex. LOTS of options and plenty of recruiting going on there for the music dept.

- alumni band might bring in, what, 50 people? A high school band would bring in 150 - 200 kids + families that might have never come to a game otherwise.

- I never understood why this wasn't done. It seems the idea was thrown around a few times but no one ever followed through. Maybe Mr. Williams has already heard it and had to put it on hold for various reasons.

-gm

Edited by greenminer

---TxTech has one game a year in which they invite the marching Band alums to return to campus and participate in some activities. My wife is a Tech band alum and what they do is meet about 2:00 and practice a simple routine (with their instruments) which becomes part (or all) of the opening ceremony for that evenings game. They march out and do the pre-game with is rather simple compared to a half-time show. This reconnects the alums with the university plus they often get to see some of their friends that they were in band with years ago. The 1999 North Texas game (9-18-99) was a band-alum game and my wife had planed to do it but woke up with a head-ache and we did not go... Wish we had, NT won 21-14. Tech alums out here were ready to lynch S.Dykes after that game but later calmed down until UT beat the "devil" out of them (58-7).... He was fired and Leach appeared the next year.

---This is usually done early in the year when the weather is still good plus it may interest the alums in returning for the rest of the seasons' games. We seem to have several here in GMG that were in the NT marching band and I will bet they would like to do this. Of course these alums also bring family, husbands, kids, etc. to the game as well which increase the attendance as well. It also helps connect those kids to the university to be on campus, explore the place, and see "mommy or dad" march. We could use some more loyality and spirit at NT. Kids also love to wear college T-shirts etc. as well.

---When I was a kid, I was in Boy Scouts and Baylor had one game a year that we were allowed in for free if we were in uniform. My first two college games to see were Baylor games ( I still remember the opponents, Rice once and Villanova once). It was a way to introduce us to a college campus and years later I actually considered going there when I graduated (thank goodness I didn't) This offer was extended quite some distance because I lived about 100 miles from Baylor but we went. This a lot better idea than just allowing every kid in sight in because we had some supervision and weren't a bunch a outlaws anyway.

---In both cases the games chosen for Band-Alum Day and Boy Scout Day were games that were not going to be sell outs anyway because the opponent was far away, small etc. Usually but not always Tech uses a non-conference game. In our case we have conference foes that bring few fans. I am sure it would help the attendance on those days.

Good gosh, my first college football game to attend was Villanova at Baylor on Boy Scout day many decades ago. Small World

We attended U of AR games during an alumni reunion/tribute. I believe they do this alumni tribute every year. Former band members, cheer, pom and mascots are present. Band members dress in street attire, (some in their old uniforms), cheer, pom and mascots dress in their uniforms from their period. (Surprisingly the cheer and pom girls could still fit into their uniforms.)

The band members march before the game. During the game the alumni band members sit in a section together.

The mascots, cheer/ pom girls & guys perform alongside the current squads during the game.

Also, they have former athletes present. Before the game, former athletes are accessible for autographs. At halftime they are introduced on the field and a short bio is given on each one.

It was really fun to watch the alumni relive their college experience.

Good gosh, my first college football game to attend was Villanova at Baylor on Boy Scout day many decades ago. Small World

Probably about 1957?

--No kidding.... I remember someone posting here about their favorite basketball game (Louisville with Wes Unselt against NT in 1964 ) and commenting about someone holding sign near the basket that read [ Nobody is going to stuff our Willie (Davis) into a Basket] a buddy of mine made the sign and I was holding the other end. Unselt had made that comment to the press the previous week. You never know what will happen in the future with seemingly minor things..

---Other goofies... My wife and I were in NY about 5-6 years ago and a woman walked up to my wife in a hotel and called her by her maiden name. She had been in her Latin class 32 years earlier in Midland, Texas. The lady now lived in Seattle and had not seen her since HS..

---Another- I walkied into a McDonalds in Fort Smith Ark. about 11:30 at night about 4 years ago and the attendent called me by name ... I had no idea who he was plus I live in West Texas. It turns out I did not know him but he knew my son and had seen me at a church in Midland several years earlier..

---While walking down the street of Madrid, Spain my wife met a kid from Midland HS coming from the opposite direction... It is a small world.

University of Texas does this. From UTexas.edu

One weekend each football season is designated Alumni Band Weekend. Alumni Band members return to Austin to enjoy reunion events and meetings, but most important, they have the opportunity to pick up their instruments, practice their steps and return to the field.

My dad and a few of my friends were in the Longhorn marching band. None of them participate.

I am not sure that I like the alumni performing. I went to an aTm game several years ago when they had alumni performing with the band. Well one of the alumni members passed out and never came to and died that night.

But I do like the idea of having a HS Band day. I have seen this done many times. Invite bands from all over the metroplex fill up the endzone. Even if they get in for free the concessions sells would have to be great. Not to mention the parents coming to see their baby walk out on the field at halftime.

--- He died marching onto the field and playing the school song, national anthem or whatever??? It is a complete wonder he did not die walking to the stadium from his car if he was that bad of condition. Band day did not kill him, he was in no shape to even attend a football game if that did him in. I have known of and even seen people die while attending HS football games as a result of a heart attack ( one was my hometown's fire chief) ... I don't think that means football games in general should cancelled.

---Not every ex-band member participates (especially every year) obviously . No field is large enough to hold all of the alums anyway... but it doesn't mean none would not like to do it. It still a good way for many to reconnect with their university if they would like to do it. It would improve attendance some, and let the alums know that they have not been forgotten by their university except at fund raising time ( got another call this week from NT fundraisers, I often wonder if girls call men and guys call women... because I always get calls from chit-chatsy girls...no objection from me, however ...LOL ).

Some things to think about. I'm not saying I don't like the idea. But these are the first things that come to mind:

- The way a lot of the alumn left the band that I was in, you'd have to pay them to suit up and march in the Texas heat again. Most members are in it because it's a MuED requisite, not because they love it as much as I did...or Debbie. In fact, it got pretty tense in a "talk to the Dean" day I recall where a few Brigaders stood up and wanted him to explain why they had to do 3 seasons of such a grueling schedule for only 1 credit hour each semester.- How many would actually show up? They do alumni band for homecoming here @ UTEP and you'll see anywhere from 20 - 40 people show up any given year.

- I like the idea (free games for me!), but I'd like to hear some more opinions about it.

-gm

For years I've suspected that this was the case. Especially considering the level of spirit participation (or the lack thereof) by most of the GB members....most notably before the newest director took over. Through the decades of going to North Texas games, I've always pointed with pride to the Green Brigade who had no peers as a musical organization. Unfortunately (and especially during the Dr. Winslow era) they had no school spirit either.

Maybe inviting a High School band to one of the games would be the best idea.

---Oh shoot me then.

---The Wife said she got some PE credit for marching band at Tech (who knows what they do now) they have had the Alum band for years and THEY don't make them work all that hard. Practice a little bit so they know to start and finish the routine and march out play the school song etc. and march back... we are not talking a big halftime program. Oh yeah she was not a music major.... she was a foreign language major and just was a member of the "Going Band of Raiderland " for fun. They did not try to kill the members in the process.

---Oh shoot me then.

---The Wife said she got some PE credit for marching band at Tech (who knows what they do now, maybe music major get music credit, my daughter got fine arts credit when she was in a choir at a local JC) they have had the Alum band for years and THEY don't make them work all that hard. Practice a little bit so they know to start and finish the routine and march out play the school song etc. and march back... we are not talking a big halftime program. Oh yeah she was not a music major.... she was a foreign language major and just was a member of the "Going Band of Raiderland " for fun. They did not try to kill the members in the process.

---I think you are missing one of the major points ..... the Alum helps reconnects Alums with the university ,,,, a visiting HS band does nothing for that. My wife regularly gets a newsletter from the Tech band (2-3 a year).

---I think you are missing one of the major points ..... the Alum helps reconnects Alums with the university ,,,, a visiting HS band does nothing for that. My wife regularly gets a newsletter from the Tech band (2-3 a year).

I agree it's great for reconnecting with the alumns, which is needed. But don't completely discount a high school night. That might bring in future alumns.

I agree it's great for reconnecting with the alumns, which is needed. But don't completely discount a high school night. That might bring in future alumns.

This is an awesome idea. As a current member of GB, I'll pass this on to NW. I don't have a lot of influence, but I can at least show that I think it's a cool idea.

It is a complete wonder he did not die walking to the stadium from his car if he was that bad of condition. Band day did not kill him, he was in no shape to even attend a football game if that did him in.

We will have to agree to disagree here. The alumni did not have to do much but it was extremely hot. And there was a very poorly organized program which kept the members on the field way to long. The heat cought everyone by surprise. And I truly mean by surprise. It was very cool the night before and the temp sky rocketed the next morning. I have never seen as many people in the stands being treated for heat related problems. I would hate to see that happen here.

Maybe we can be a little more intelligent and have the game at night in October or November.

And I do agree with you about connecting the alumni back to the university.... That is a huge positive

We will have to agree to disagree here. The alumni did not have to do much but it was extremely hot. And there was a very poorly organized program which kept the members on the field way to long. The heat cought everyone by surprise. And I truly mean by surprise. It was very cool the night before and the temp sky rocketed the next morning. I have never seen as many people in the stands being treated for heat related problems. I would hate to see that happen here.

Maybe we can be a little more intelligent and have the game at night in October or November.

And I do agree with you about connecting the alumni back to the university.... That is a huge positive

---I think Tech does do it in the evening with a brief PM meeting and practice, nothing very complicated. Absolutely nothing is fool-proof nor is any age. I had a HS girl pass out at my graduation practice (could not stand that long, probably walking to the car was considered exercise by her) in fact I know of a HS band member that passed out during a football half time program when I was in HS .... The temperature had dropped during the game from about 60 to mid 20's by half-time and the kid just wasn't dessed very warm and was not tough enough to take it either. I would have hate to think how he would have done feeding cattle out here in West Texas when it was that temperature or worse... I was plus I hauled hay when it was 105 (120 in the barn). That game was about the first of November. No date is absolutely sure of good weather. People just have to know their limits and not do things they should not do plus be prepared... drink water and have on the right clothes. Nothing is fool proof... One bad incident doesn't mean the whole idea is bad. Things just happen with everything, even walking outside to get the mail then just sitting in an easy chair watching football. My friend had won a local tennis tournament the weekend before that, health did not seem to be an issue, but was.