How Many Of The New Class Will Start?

SouthBendGreen

Two questions that I'm very interested in. I would love to hear the opinions of those on the board. Who do you think starts as a true frosh? And how many total will see playing time?

I'm assuming at least 2 of the WRs will start and all will probably play?

Thoughts?

I think you are right: 2-3 starting receivers are an obvious choice. Outside of that, I think Vizza will get a good long look at starter given his familiarity with the system. You are going to be hard pressed to keep Penson off the field with his skills.

But I think the real immediate impact guy who won't be lining up at WR this next year to be in the defensive secondary. I expect Greg Garden to compete at SS as he has great speed and a reputation to lay some serious wood to ball carriers.

Coach Dodge told all the new NT players to "come prepaired to start" and Coach Dodge told all the current players that "all positions are open".

The best player at their position will play regardless if the player is a freshman or senior.

I beleive all 6 incoming WR's will play for sure.

Others-

I am interested in Jesse Desoto, DT, 6-2, 278lbs, who was a 3 year starter at DT in HS.

Big kid, strong, team leader, and has a intense "football motor" from what I have read about him.

I beleive he will earn playing time.

The LB's are very good, but, I would like for the LB's to become adjusted to the college

level speed and experience. The same for the great DB, Kelvin Ealey.

RB's-- Cam Montgomery is going to surprise everyone--this guy is a great player! He will play for sure! Micah Mosley will play also.

QB Giovanni Vizza, possible--just out of HS, completes 2 a days, then start against OU--I don't think so.

I see all the WR's, both RB's, and DT earning playing time.

I think you are right: 2-3 starting receivers are an obvious choice. Outside of that, I think Vizza will get a good long look at starter given his familiarity with the system. You are going to be hard pressed to keep Penson off the field with his skills.

But I think the real immediate impact guy who won't be lining up at WR this next year to be in the defensive secondary. I expect Greg Garden to compete at SS as he has great speed and a reputation to lay some serious wood to ball carriers.

Garden is going to have to sit out a year before he is eligible. He's a transfer!

I think TD is going to want to get "his guys" on the field as soon as possible, especially on offense. I'd be very surprised if Vizza wasn't the starter by the 3rd game. Montgomery will see time right away, especially if Jamario continues to struggle, moreso if he can catch. I can see 4 new receivers getting game time along with Brandon Jackson, and maybe Johnson at center. On defense, Penson for sure, and maybe one of the DL's.

I expect Greg Garden to compete at SS as he has great speed and a reputation to lay some serious wood to ball carriers.

That doesn't sound as good as I'm sure it must have sounded in your mind. In fact, it conjures up some pretty disgusting images. Maybe I've just been reading too many of Quoner's posts??