Carroll / Allen HS FB Game

UNTFan23

I think it is so STUPID , the Texas HS playoff system , that they break up the classifications in 2 groups now. You may have 2 undeafted powerhouses ( SLC and Cedar Hill ) that are both in 5A and only about 30 miles apart and they will NOT be playing each other for 1 true state champion. I don't know which I hate more TX HS Playoffs or the BCS.

Had too change up the playoff system. Way too many teams. Too many good teams were getting left out.

I can't explain how a school gets put into one catagory or another. There are times a team goes Division 1 and the next yeard Division 2. Has to do with enrollment or something like that.

But when I went to high school in Denton, only one school from each conference went to the playoffs. They expanded it within 5 years or so I think. Maybe longer. I don't follow HS sports as close.

Had too change up the playoff system. Way too many teams. Too many good teams were getting left out.

I can't explain how a school gets put into one catagory or another. There are times a team goes Division 1 and the next yeard Division 2. Has to do with enrollment or something like that.

But when I went to high school in Denton, only one school from each conference went to the playoffs. They expanded it within 5 years or so I think. Maybe longer. I don't follow HS sports as close.

3 teams from every district at every classifaction goes to the State playoffs. When I was a senior it was 2 and that was perfect. Now they break it into 2 Divisions at each level , it's too many teams now.

Div I is for the top teams in each district as far as enrollment is concerned and Div II is for the 2 other teams in that district with lesser enrollments.

This is NOT a pee wee league and everyone should NOT get a trophy. One class , One Champion. Is it really that hard to figure out ??

Edited by NT03

It’s based on the enrollments of the schools. In the new 5A format with 4 teams the two schools with the largest enrolments go Division I and the other two go Division II. That is why a team can go from Division to Division in different years.

3 teams from every district at every classifaction goes to the State playoffs.

In class 5A, four teams made the football playoffs. Three teams in A-4A, This is the first year the UIL has had two divisions in Class A.

I agree there are too many teams in the playoffs. When I was in High School only 1 team from every district. You could go 9-1 and sit home for the playoffs. That's when football was great.

In class 5A, four teams made the football playoffs. Three teams in A-4A, This is the first year the UIL has had two divisions in Class A.

I agree there are too many teams in the playoffs. When I was in High School only 1 team from every district. You could go 9-1 and sit home for the playoffs. That's when football was great.

Your right , I forgot about the 4th team now in 5A. They even have 2 Divisions set up for 6man.. So In all we have 12 State Champions, that's just too many.

More teams get in, many districts have more teams, and there are many more high schools overall. The difference in enrollment within the classifications is big as well. The division system is an attempt to even that out, though we went D1 this year and played a team almost twice our size. It's not perfect, but I don't think it ever can be.

When I ran track in high school, the top two got of district and went to regionals. When I was a soph, I set two school records and one of the times would have made it to state in another region. I didn't get out of district in either (two broze medals). Now I coach track and the top three go to regionals, and I think that is the way it should be. If you can earn a medal at district, you deserve the chance to move on. I am not bitter about what happend to me, I am glad for the kids that are earning this opportunity now.