Mid Major Top 25

class84

I must reply.

1.  NT's schedule is not that tough.

2.  Most of our transfers came from larger schools, Davis (Arkansas), Wooden (Arizona State), Johnson (LSU) and Fleming (Oklahoma St.) to name a few.

Thank you for pointing out the facts. If Arkansas, LSU, or ASu are not Big Time programs then I must be a one dumb sports fan.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must reply.

1.  NT's schedule is not that tough.

2.  Most of our transfers came from larger schools, Davis (Arkansas), Wooden (Arizona State), Johnson (LSU) and Fleming (Oklahoma St.) to name a few.

If you read the next sentence I go on to say that reason is because they come from a lower level of basketball or THEY SAT OUT A YEAR.

Thank you for pointing out the facts. If Arkansas, LSU, or ASu are not Big Time programs then  I must be a one dumb sports fan.

Arkansas and, to a much lesser extent, Oklahoma State are big time basketball. LSU and ASU have had some flashes (LSU in the Final Four last year), but are a lot closer to "mid-major" historically than they are anything else.

LSU and ASU have had some flashes (LSU in the Final Four last year), but are a lot closer to "mid-major" historically than they are anything else.

LSU has been to a few Final Fours and were typically ranked during the Dale Brown year's. Arizona State plays in the PAC-10 with Arizona and UCLA which I would equate to much better competition than SFA and Nichols St.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call those teams mid-majors. Real basketball schools are schools like Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, Notre Dame, North Carolina, etc. Saying Arizona State is a big basketball school because it's in the Pac 10 is like saying Baylor is a big football school because it's in the Big 12.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Tell me about it!

Any school in the big Conferances is considered above a mid-major no matter how much they suck.

If you play in the; SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12,or Big East you are not a mid-major and have no excuse what so ever losing to mid-majors.

I am tired of these experts on TV who say that mid-major upsets are not upsets. If you feel that way they need to give some respect Butler should be # 2 in the nation.

Saying Arizona State is a big basketball school because it's in the Pac 10 is like saying Baylor is a big football school because it's in the Big 12.

You are correct. ASU has been to the NCAA's many times and Baylor's football team has...umm...oh no, that analysis doesn't work.

mid major top 25

Record

Previous

1. Butler (15) 9-0 734 NR 

2. Wichita State (11) 5-0 731 5 

3. Gonzaga (5) 8-1 686 2 

4. Missouri State 6-1 608 11 

5. Western Kentucky 7-1 590 10 

6. Winthrop 6-2 532 9 

7. Creighton 3-1 523 1 

8. Akron 4-1 512 8 

9. Southern Illinois 6-1 463 4 

10. Hofstra 4-3 431 3 

11. Marist 6-2 389 17 

12. Loyola (Chicago) 6-2 303 13 

13. Oral Roberts 3-3 258 14 

14. Robert Morris 5-1 241 NR 

15. Old Dominion 6-2 234 21 

16. Loyola Marymount 6-3 231 16 

17. Holy Cross 6-2 187 NR 

18. Northern Iowa 6-1 186 NR 

19. Bucknell 3-5 149 6 

20. Drexel 4-2 141 15 

21. North Texas 5-2 132 NR 

22. North Dakota State 5-2 117 NR 

23. Eastern Kentucky 5-2 112 NR 

24. George Mason 3-3 101 7 

25. UC Santa Barbara 5-2 96 N

Boy I only thought College Football had some stupid polls....this one is definately WORTHLESS.

Everybody in the basketball world puts stock into it. Behind the Coaches poll and the AP poll this is the next in line. It counts out the big conferances but if you are in them and not good enough to get in the AP polls then oh well. 

Please tell me you are kidding? I have been watching college basketball for 20+ years and this is the first I have ever seen of this poll.....how stupid is this poll?

I guess next you want one of these for mid-major football too?

So then your assertion is that Arizona State is on the level of Duke or Kansas?

No, but how many schools are? My assertion is that a school from a major conference that has historically won more than they've lost and qualified for the NCAA's is not a "mid-major."