NO MONITOR?

UNTflyer

While multiple events lead to the Mean Green losing tonight, having the monitor on the table is a terrible hind sight that lead to our ultimate inability to review the play that made the game.

You would think that for a Div. 1 school we would have a monitor for such an occasion...as long as we have a monitor on the table for the next game, we can say we learned our lesson..if not, shame on us.

Sure, it was a bad call at the end. But our first half play was even worse. The bottom line is that we didn't take this game away from UTA. That is what REALLY screwed us. We often started slow last season, even in our wins. I hope that is not how we play this season.

I still feel very confident about this team. Ben Bell and Keith Woodson are just getting warmed up with this team. Calvin and Kendrick, enough said. Quincy Williams had a great scoring night. He carried us while in a offensive slump. I hope Quincy continues to step up. In fact, I stated a week ago that he is a key player that needs to become dominate force for us. Rich Young and Sturns are also picking up their game. I wish I would have seen Harold Stewart more tonight.

Folks, we absolutely have the talent to go very far this season. I hope the Mean Green can put it all together.

The "jumbotron" couldn't get the replay of the final shot playing until about 5-10 minutes after the game ended. My brother, an aggie fan and thus big 12 fan who relies on the impact of technology in college sports, asked, "why the hell didn't your jumbotron technician get the final shot up immediately, right after it happened. Everyone knows that the fans booing as it plays influences the officials, and you lose home court advantage if you don't?" No further comment necessary.

The "jumbotron" couldn't get the replay of the final shot playing until about 5-10 minutes after the game ended. My brother, an aggie fan and thus big 12 fan who relies on the impact of technology in college sports, asked, "why the hell didn't your jumbotron technician get the final shot up immediately, right after it happened. Everyone knows that the fans booing as it plays influences the officials, and you lose home court advantage if you don't?"  No further comment necessary.

I sat behind the scorer's table and the refs went over to the table at JJ's request at the end of the game to ask if they had a court-side monitor, which they don't (dingbats). The scorer pointed up to the large video boards and the ref shook his head "no" like they were not allowed to use that, then they walked off the court. Anyone know the rule, if there is an official one, on using large video replays as opposed to a monitor?

Still, it should not have come down to needing a video replay to win/lose a game. We didn't defense the interior in the first half, took too many 3-pointers with no rebounds, and UTA had a 30-6 advantage in free throws. UTA is very athletic like us and won it's first 3 games by 30+ points each.

The refs were willing to review the play.  The went to the scoring table and asked if there was a monitor... the scorekeeper shook his head and pointed to the jumbotron.  The ref kinda shrugged and walked off the court to a chorus of boos.

Rules say they can't review from a jumbotron. That's what the ref was saying to them.

Look at tonight as trading a tough loss for a chance to gain the technology Old Dominion has enjoyed since 1998.

Section 5. Officials Use of Replay/Television Equipment

Art. 1. Officials may use courtside replay equipment, videotape or television

monitoring only in situations involving:

a. Determining if a fight occurred and the individuals who participated

or left the bench area;

b. Assessing whether correctable errors 2-10.1.c, .d, or .e need to be

rectified;

c. Preventing or rectifying a scoring or timing mistake by the scorer

or timer involving the game clock or shot clock;

d. Determining if the game clock or shot clock expired at or near

the end of a period (see Rule 2-5.2); or

e. Correcting a timing mistake in the half or extra period in which it

occurred due to a malfunctioning game clock or shot clock.

A.R. 3. Team B coach asks for a correctable error because he or she thinks there was an error by the shot-clock operator. A school representative is sitting in the bleachers with a camcorder. May the official consult the camcorder?

RULING: No. A camcorder that is not at a courtside table is not a courtside monitor; however, if the camcorder and all necessary equipment were on an official courtside table, the camcorder could be consulted.

A.R. 4. In the same situation as in A.R. 3, a team manager is filming the team video from an elevated position. The official requests that the manager bring the tape to the scorers’ table so that the official can play it in the videocassette player and television that are on the scorers’ table. Is this legal? RULING: No. The entire unit, including the tape, must be at a courtside table. If the tape had been filmed from the courtside table and the videocassette player and television were on that table, it would have been legal to consult the tape.