Bring In Todd Dodge for Head Coach! Now!

Green Grenade II

Coach Dodge will put butts in seats, will SELL THE PROGRAM! Recruiting will vastly improve. Pluses all the way! This would be a win for Coach Dodge, and a big-time win for The University of North Texas!

Bring him in for an interview, open up the checkbook and sign him! He will work for no more than we've paid Coach Dickey. Give him a five year contract, and watch the buzz all over the media and the entire State of Texas.

We need to make a positive statement of where we want to go as an Athletic Program....no better way to do it!!! RV will be looked at as a genius if he can pull this off! Go! RV....get it done!!!!!!

I'm not sure about Dodge. He's been outstandingly successful at one high school, though he coached at more than one.

I remember a high school coach who's offense won a 5A championship for Judson, then he moved on to Marshal and won a 5A championship with his offense there. Against Judson, no less!

NT hired Parker and it never worked very well. Of course, his OC was none other the Todd Dodge.

Edited by VideoEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not sure about Dodge. He's been outstandingly successful at one high school, though he coached at more than one.

I remember a high school coach who's offense won a 5A championship for Judson, then he moved on to Marshal and won a 5A championship with his offense there. Against Judson, no less!

NT hired Parker and it never worked very well. Of course, his OC was none other the Todd Dodge.

The offense under Dennis Parker, wasn't the problem as much as the defense. Todd Dodge was far from perfecting his craft back in '93 but his numbers weren't that bad. In 1993 North Texas scored 328 points. The only Dickey team to exceed that was the 2003 team which scored 358.

---Parker came from a HS ? I think Corky Nelson come from Tyler..... He had Earl Campbell as a player at Tyler didn't he when he had his best years. Almost any coach would have done well with him... as one coach mentioned to me... "Earl was a man playing with a group of kids".

---Personally I see Dodge very differently.... he has had many good teams and not just based on one player. I think he would do well...... I normally I think most HS coaches don't make the transition very will... I think he would.... he has actuallly coached at a college level some and I have heard of him since he was in HS. Always he has been in winning situations.

---Spike Dykes had been a HS at Midland Lee and at Tech as an assistant one year prior to taking over TxTech, he only lasted 14 years and had a winning record with only 3 losing (barely) seasons against very good competiton . We would settle for that. He was let go after teh Techsans got tired of 6-7 wins and losing to UT and OU. In his final year he lost to us and was blown apart by UT... that did him in....Now they have the more exciting "shoot and run" era of Rick Leach... He may lose a few but they are definitely entertaining even when losing.

I always thought it was usual that Spike's son stayed on Leach's staff after his father Spike was let go as head coach.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Parker came from a HS ?  I think Corky Nelson come from Tyler..... He had Earl Campbell as a player at Tyler didn't he when he had his best years.  Almost any coach would have done well with him... as one coach mentioned to me... "Earl was a man playing with a group of kids".

---Personally I see Dodge very differently.... he has had many good teams and not just based on one player.  I think he would do well...... I normally I think most HS coaches don't make the transition very will... I think he would.... he has actuallly coached at a college level some and I have heard of him since he was in HS.  Always he has been in winning situations.

---Spike Dykes had been a HS at Midland Lee and at Tech as an assistant  one year prior to taking over TxTech, he only lasted 14 years and had a winning record with only 3 losing (barely) seasons against very good competiton .  We would settle for that.  He was let go after teh Techsans got tired of 6-7 wins and losing to UT and OU.  In his final year he lost to us and was blown apart by UT... that did him in....Now they have the more exciting "shoot and run" era of Rick Leach... He may lose a few but they are definitely entertaining even when losing.

I always thought it was usual that Spike's son stayed on Leach's staff after his father Spike was let go as head coach.

Corky was DC at Baylor before he was hired as HC at North Texas. His defense helped Baylor go to it's last Cotton Bowl appearance.

Corky was the head coach at Tyler after he left North Texas.... where he was the DL coach under Rod Rust.

While he was HC at Tyler, he made the decision to move Earl Campbell from linebacker to RB. Earl had played LB for all his HS career and felt that playing LB was his best shot at going to college. Earl was very distressed at this move, but agreed to it anyway. The rest, as they say, is history.

While he was coaching at North Texas, Corky recruited Rex Johnson out of Junior College. Rex had been playing LB and earned some all-conference honors at that position. Even though Rex Johnson was 6'1" X 235 (a good size for a LB) Corky moved him to nose tackle, where he eventually earned 1-AA all-american honors.

Corky had several years coaching in the college ranks before coming to North Texas. IMHO he was almost genius in his ability to assess players and put them where they could do the most good.

Does anyone remember how much Nebraska struggled the first year they switched?

I hope people have some patience, regardless of who gets the job, and realize it may take time to get thier system implemented, and get the players who fit that system.

Also add NMSU. I think that as long as we are seeing a brand new system being implemented that the fanbase in general will allow for some growing pains.

The thing that has worn on the fans over the last 3-4 years is not seeing any significant growth offensively or defensively for that matter.

also see Syracuse currently

I feel as though we have the talent on the team that personel won't be a problem. There may be a learning curve on a new system, but with the WRs that are returning and Phillip's arm a spread should be implementable, well, if Etheridge didn't screw our O-Line up too bad and they can learn to block again.

Does anyone remember how much Nebraska struggled the first year they switched?

I hope people have some patience, regardless of who gets the job, and realize it may take time to get thier system implemented, and get the players who fit that system.

It is easier to switch from a running offense to a passing offense than the other way around. Wide receivers grow on trees. We probably already have the WRs on the roster now to be successful in the spread.

Rice made the switch this year and after a brief adjustment has won five of their last six games. Wow!

I trust RV will bring in the right coach, Dykes, Nix, Dodge, whoever. I just hope that coach runs the type of pass-heavy offense that a team of UNT's resources needs to be successful playing in Division 1-A.

It is easier to switch from a running offense to a passing offense than the other way around. Wide receivers grow on trees. We probably already have the WRs on the roster now to be successful in the spread.

We might get lucky and have a quick transition. But, I’m expecting 3 years to be winning consistently and 4 to be favored for a championship no matter who the coach is.

If it’s Dodge, I can already hear recruiters from other schools, “You can go play for the high school guy, but if you’re going to college, would it make more sense to play for a team with a college coach?”

Edited by VideoEagle