We (world) need to quit wasting time and take action. Start with an overwhelming invasion. Think D-Day Style. Do this before he has a chance to completly arm his missles (both conventional and dirty) and before he can fortify his beachheads, if he hasn't already done so.

We (world) need to quit wasting time and take action.  Start with an overwhelming invasion.  Think D-Day Style.  Do this before he has a chance to completly arm his missles (both conventional and dirty) and before he can fortify his beachheads, if he hasn't already done so.

Uhm, no. The US military is stretched too thin as it is and I don't know how many countries would really want in on another fistfight between countries. There are already countries that don't like what NK is doing, but diplomacy is the right move right now.

And a D-Day style invasion is an obsolete strategy, btw.

Orel still has a deal with ESPN.

Call Torre IMMEDIATELY!

OOOk, I guess I should mention I wasnt talking about using actuall D-Day Strategy. I was using it to "illustrate" that we should attack by land, air, and sea. Maybe I should have used "blitzkreig" instead. I think there are several countries that are willing to go through with it. The UN and even france is moving into Afghanistan, so we will start phasing those forces out.

As for diplomacy, no its not working. NK has already made it clear that it will do whatever the hell it wants. The longer we wait, they more likely it will be that he achieves nuclear capabilities.

OOOk, I guess I should mention I wasnt talking about using actuall D-Day Strategy.  I was using it to "illustrate" that we should attack by land, air, and sea.  Maybe I should have used "blitzkreig" instead.  I think there are several countries that are willing to go through with it.  The UN and even france is moving into Afghanistan, so we will start phasing those forces out. 

As for diplomacy, no its not working.  NK has already made it clear that it will do whatever the hell it wants.  The longer we wait, they more likely it will be that he achieves nuclear capabilities.

NK is very dangerous....and unstable

Uhm, no. The US military is stretched too thin as it is and I don't know how many countries would really want in on another fistfight between countries. There are already countries that don't like what NK is doing, but diplomacy is the right move right now.

And a D-Day style invasion is an obsolete strategy, btw.

This will not be a popular topic, but in todays state of world affairs, I fully believe it is time to re-instate the draft. We cannot depend on our so called "allies" to help us with countries like Iran and North Korea and an all volunteer Army, along with reserves is not the way to protect the USA. We have a porous border and there is no telling who is coming across.

I was a draftee myself, having pulled a 13 month stint in Viet Nam, another unpopular war/conflict. My country called, I went. A draft might also help straighten out some of the disfunctional youth we have in this country.

This has nothing to do with Iraq.  What you are saying is that you don't mind North Korea and Iran having the capabilities to manufacturer and launch nuclear bombs?

I said nothing of the sort. In fact, I think we should have handled those two members of the "axis of evil" first, but that is irrelevant. N Korea and (even moreso) Iran, pose significant threats to our safety- but this is nothing new. Im in favor of any well thought out action taken to curb the threats posed by those country. Neither should be nuclear. But I am not in favor of more military action unless we go in there 100%, not this half-ass pseudo war business we see in Iraq. And while Iran and N Korea may have nothing to do with Iraq, I think our current involvement Iraq has everything to do with how we handle those two.

My comment (might have been an overreaction but) was directed at the blanketed statement on the generation of young people that are perceived to be dysfunctional- or at least- more than they were when you were a child and the insinuation that getting drafted to go fight a war would somehow "put them on the right track". The reality of it is, the parents of babyboomers thought the youth of their day were also dysfunction, misguided, whatever, and yet (for better or worse) they have helped shaped our country into the what it is today- and it's a place I really dig. cool.gif

Furthermore, I havent met many people that had a lot of positive things to say about Vietnam, their experiences there, etc. Maybe you have. None of the people I know that served there even want to talk about it. I respect you for the time you spent there, honoring your commitment to our country, and being willing to make the ultimate sacrifice- make no mistake of that. If I had to, I would do the same.

Im 25, so take that for what its worth. Maybe in 30 years I will say the same thing. Assuming this country is here in 30 years, which at the rate we are going- who knows.

I'll be glad to discuss any of this further via PM, as I realize this board is not a medium for political debate, discussion, etc.

Edited by Eagle1855

We are closer in our thoughts than you realize. For this country to be here in 30 years, I just believe we need a strong military. You can develop all the technology you can dream of, and we are the best at it. But it still takes a force to carry out the missions.

Viet Nam unpopular? I sure as hell didn't want to go there. I was one of the lucky ones to come home unscathed, no drug habits, and my head screwed on correctly.

My reference to disfunctional youths is a product of our society and what seems to be an uncareing, immoral, and unpatriotic group. Should I paint the entire group this way? Of course not.