SBC OOC

eulesseagle

ASU........1-2 with the win over ARMY

MTSU......1-3 with the win over Tenn. Tech.

FAU........0-4

UNT........1-3 with the win over SMU

LaLa.......3-2..with wins over N.C. A&T, E.Mich and Houston

Troy.......1-4 with the win over Alabama State

LaMo......1-2 with the win over Alcorn State

FIU........0-3

8 OOC wins

23 OOC defeats

----25%----

Good wins over Army, SMU, E.Mich & Houston.

D-1AA wins over Tenn. Tech, N.C A&t, Alabama State and Alcorn State.

The good thing is that in years past we were 0fer or maybe 1 win - MTSU over Vandy and we were losing to the 1AAs.

A couple of weeks ago a Honolulu radio host was dogging bad programs around the country. He mentioned how terrible Illinois (before they beat MSU), and Indiana were this year and others. He went on to comment that they wouldn't be able to win the Sun Belt this year. This is a market that doesn't have any love for the SBC so I actually took that as a compliment. The perception of the Belt is gradually improving and that win by U Laf over the other UH was huge! H-town just played with Miami last week.

Good job GREEN! Arkie State's win was good for them and this is going to be a fun race. Hopefully we can be in it or impact it!

GMG

Nearly half the 1A teams play 1AA's. The games are counted as wins or losses.

My point was that a WIN over a 0-5 NC A&T DIV 1 AA school does not truly represent a OOC win for any school in the SBC. If the SBC wants to gain any respect at all it must continue to beat the like of a Houston or SMU.

Nearly half the 1A teams play 1AA's. The games are counted as wins or losses.

My point was that a WIN over a 0-5 NC A&T DIV 1 AA school does not truly represent a OOC win for any school in the SBC. If the SBC wants to gain any respect at all it must continue to beat the like of a Houston or SMU.

of course it would help if certain teams would beat teams like Akron, La, Tech, capitalize off of a stopping of Baylor, beat Tulsa, etc...

I was wondering about SBC OOC play this season so I am pleased to see this post. My impression from this board was that SBC teams seldom win OOC games. I noticed a fair amount where being won this season.. and numerous OOC games with big programs were very good games though they were loses (e.g. Florida State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, South Florida, etc). I hope we can add Louisiana Tech to this list too. So, correct me if I am wrong, but the SBC is much more competitive this year?

SBC Conference is being more competive , though we still have the blowouts we have had just as many games that came down to the wire.

If my memory is correct , If Arkansas St. can knockoff Memphis next week, The Sun Belt would be 4-4 vs. Teams from C-USA .. That would be a great stepping stone for the SBC I think.

I'm not a fan of playing 1AA teams.  They do nothing for the program or to teach our team anything.  We already play the bottom of D1A for 8 games a season which some people say D1AA teams could beat.  We might as well schedule teams in the 30-70 ranked range so we have something to judge our program by.

Im glad RV feels the same way. I asked him a few years ago if he would consider scheduling Texas State ( I was under the impression that they were on the verge to jump to DI) He said he was not a fan of IAA opp. and would not consider it until they made the jump.

If UNT scheduled Alcorn  St. .. In what way would that benefit us at all ??? If we won , you'd say no big deal just something to put n the W column. But if we lost , DD would be out of town before that sunday morning.

It's sad to say, but still true, that if you substituted NT for Acorn State and SMU or TCU or Rice or U of H for us, their fans would say the exact same thing. That is our scheduling problem in a nutshell.

I'm hoping WKU will make the jump to 1A soon. That gives the SBC 9 1A schools and 12 Division 1 schools for basketball. At least I think it does - I might be wrong on the basketball end.

But, 9 schools gives us 4 home conference games. You add one Texas or OU or LSU for a money game on the road. Then one 1AA for a certain win at home. That leaves two games, both a home and home contest against an SMU, Rice, Tulsa, TCU, Houston, a Mac school and a WAC school. You can't play all every year, but you can certainly set it up where it will work out to six home and six away games.

And, from what the athletic department has told me, we can fund things based on this if we average just 18K a game. That's fund football and the other sports.

This is really not that hard, we could do this!!!

Edited by VideoEagle

I'm hoping WKU will make the jump to 1A soon. That gives the SBC 9 1A schools and 12 Division 1 schools for basketball. At least I think it does - I might be wrong on the basketball end.

Does WKU vote on Football DI Tommorrow ??

But, 9 schools gives us 4 home conference games. You add one Texas or OU or LSU for a money game on the road. Then one 1AA for a certain win at home.

This season , I dont think you can say " a certain win".. I dont care what IAA school we played

This season , I dont think you can say " a certain win".. I dont care what IAA school we played

I could come up with some 1AA schools, but your point is quite correct. There are no "certain wins" at our level.

That said, I wish we'd started with a 1AA Prairie View A&M or a Samford at home instead of Texas in Austin. It just gives us the more opportunity to win our first game. It is not a certainty.

But I think you get the theory. The theory is sound. Well, at least workable.

I think I remember RV talking about if we averaged close to a 30,000 in Fouts every year, there would be no reason to schedule teams like Texas, LSU, and OU.

Something to think about since we're on the subject.

But I think you get the theory. The theory is sound. Well, at least workable.

Yes , and I understand. I dont think think RV would ever go for it though. I think once we establish ourselves as somewhat a mid-major power ..say a ranked #40-60 then your plan would be good. At this point tho a loss to a IAA would really sink the program

There are three sorts of games for us in the Sun Belt.

MUST WIN, NEED TO WIN, GRAVY

Any I-AA game is a must win. No one cares UNLESS you lose.

Any I-A game against someone outside the six BCS leagues in a need to win, really need a .500 record in those game or better to show we are at their level.

Games against the BCS schools are gravy. Nice to have but not essential.

Right now the Sun Belt is 4-0 in must win games. That's good because as long as the number on the right is a zero we are doing what we need to do.

We are 0-18 in gravy games. We've had some close calls but just haven't pulled it off.

In the need to win games the Belt is 4-5.

Not where we want to be but getting there. We have one must win game left and two need to win games left.

I think I remember RV talking about if we averaged close to a 30,000 in Fouts every year, there would be no reason to schedule teams like Texas, LSU, and OU.

Something to think about since we're on the subject.

Beleive he made a comment that 25,000 attendance at Fouts was equal to playing a money game.