North Texas

NM Green

I am walking down Waikiki Beach this morning wearing my toothpaste green "North Texas" shirt. This dude sees me coming and makes a face of disgust. He says "I lost a lot of money on your team." We passed each other and he turns around and says, "Can't you all even score?" I smiled and said "at home!"

moral of the story - NEVER take UNT on the road to cover because in an OOC game Dickey is going to treat a road OOC game as a scrimmage to get players playing time for conference play. I am convinced he does not care to win these games. He knew SMU was our Fiesta Bowl this year and mission accomplished. Playing competitive in conference (I can't even say "winning the conference") would be the icing on a good year. Next year it's win at SMU a tougher task.

For the first time ever I didn't find myself glued to the radio to listen to the game. I stayed busy cleaning my office with the internet on, but did not hang on every play. I have the same level of energy towards Mean Green football going into Akron. Just feel like a burned out fan after last season. The NATION needs a spark!

gmg

I am walking down Waikiki Beach this morning wearing my toothpaste green "North Texas" shirt.  This dude sees me coming and makes a face of disgust.  He says "I lost a lot of money on your team."  We passed each other and he turns around and says, "Can't you all even score?"  I smiled and said "at home!" 

moral of the story - NEVER take UNT on the road to cover because in an OOC game Dickey is going to treat a road OOC game as a scrimmage to get players playing time for conference play.  I am convinced he does not care to win these games.  He knew SMU was our Fiesta Bowl this year and mission accomplished.  Playing competitive in conference (I can't even say "winning the conference") would be the icing on a good year.  Next year it's win at SMU a tougher task. 

For the first time ever I didn't find myself glued to the radio to listen to the game.  I stayed busy cleaning my office with the internet on, but did not hang on every play.  I have the same level of energy towards Mean Green football going into Akron.  Just feel like a burned out fan after last season.  The NATION needs a spark!

gmg

Good post NMGreen. Sadly, I concure.

I have the same level of energy towards Mean Green football going into Akron.  Just feel like a burned out fan after last season.  The NATION needs a spark!

gmg

Funny you posted this. I was about to post something similar. I have to say I respect the veterans on this board. They have put up with games like Tulsa for years. I've only been at UNT for 1 year. I don't know how they do it. Sunday I was angry and sarcastic (just read my posts), and today I feel like I lost a best friend. Man, this sucks. I guess I haven't learned from DD's previous OOC track record (in my naivety I think we can win OOC games), though I am quickly become more educated from this board.

Also, I can't wait to go to Stats class tomorrow. I was talking up the team pretty heavy after SMU. I can't even get my doctoral student peers to cheer for our team. Why would they? They come from schools with athletically rich backgrounds like LSU, UT, Michigan, etc. I don’t blame them either as I don’t know if I could renounce my old bachelor’s college with the crap I saw against Tulsa in the 2nd half. Who wants to join a losing team? Oh well, I know I’ll still be glued to radio come Saturday again.

Guest JohnDenver

Oh well, I know I’ll still be glued to radio come Saturday again.

Man, that is ALL that matters! Welcome to the club!

I count down the days till I can light the smoker, dry rub the meats and open a cold beer... The OOC games are hard, but I refill my empty UNT spirit glass at the home games... then at least I can see old friends and talk about life while eating great food and drinking good beer. If we happen to see a good game that day, well, it makes it even better.

People do care believe it or not.

People know who North Texas is.

I actually think the toothpaste green is working - the smu game was fantastic - the stadium was TOOTHPASTE GREEN! I don't care what color green we use, just wear your gear, and wear it as often as possible.

I wore that same North Texas shirt to the Hawaii vs UNLV game on Saturday night. You can give me a beer and put me in Aloha Stadium but you can't take the Mean Green out or off me!

This guy was a local who just loved to bet on sports I gathered. However, with all the Texan vacationers I often get smiles, "go mean green" and comments from people on the streets. Heck I get that from OU fans too, because familiarity is good when wandering the beach thousands of miles from Texas during football season.

ambush akron

GMG

For the first time ever I didn't find myself glued to the radio to listen to the game.  I stayed busy cleaning my office with the internet on, but did not hang on every play.  I have the same level of energy towards Mean Green football going into Akron.  Just feel like a burned out fan after last season.  The NATION needs a spark!

gmg

Similar feelings. Time for a MAJOR change!

Not everyone supports their alma mater - even the winners.

I ws having car repair at Sewell Lexus Saturday morning. When prepalring to pay up the one of the girls there asked the other if she was listening to the game. The reply was it would not start untiul 4:30,

I asked what game - TCU vs TTech.

I asked who are you for - TCU (one said even though I went to Tech).