Tulsa Announcers

chrisfisher

I had to turn off the Mean Green radio broadcast while watching the Internet broadcast b/c they are so out of sync. So, I am stuck listening to Tulsa broadcasters. They have zero respect for our team. They even seem surprised it isn't 60-0 already. They even said "Woody is not a good passing QB." C*ck suckers.

I guess thats what is to be expected after last years rollover by our defense. Its time to make them pay for the lack of respect! Beat `em in the end half.

I didn't see the offsides either that kept their drive going before half was over after they failed the 4th conv. I'm watching it and it looked like a bad call.

I suppose one of my all time memories of college football was on a Fall afternoon back in the mid-1960's when I was a teen and it involved our opponent of last night, ie, the Tulsa Golden Hurricane...

Anyhoo............my late father and I were down on Bastrop Bayou (not far from the Gulf) fishing for speckled trout, red fish, sheephead (uh, yuk--too boney to eat) or whatever fish wanted to partake of the stinky shrimp bait on the end of our lines that day.

Earlier my father and I had loaded up our "fishing car", ie, "the old jalopy" (since mom didn't like us taking the family car on any fishing trip) rolleyes.gif but we loaded it down with a days worth of fishing gear, summer sausage (a favorite when we went fishing), some saltine crackers to go along with the summer sausage and a cooler full of, well, uh, ice tea. (Hey, my dad was chairman of the board of deacons at the local Baptist church back then--what can I say)? blink.gif

Anyway, to follow our Fishing Day tradition down on the Gulf Coast, I always stuck inside the jalopy a Zenith transistor radio so as we fished we could also listen to Southwest Conference icon one Mr. Kern Tips broacast the SWC Game of the Week (sponsored by the Humble Oil Refinery--remember "Put a Tiger in Your Tank" and............."Hold That Tiger"?) or we would listen in on who "my" team as a teen was and that would be the University of Houston "eat em' up" Cougars of Coach Bill Yeoman.

So as our fishing expedition off Bastrop Bayou progressed, I had the radio turned on to KPRC (I believe was the UH radio station back then) to listen to long time Astros radio guy Gene Elston who doubled as the UH play by play man as he broadcasts the UH vs TULSA GOLDEN HURRICANE football game. To say the least, it was a most memorable day for both the UH Cougars, the Tulsa 'Canes as well as my father and me as we seemed to be catching as many fish as the Cougars were scoring touchdowns that crisp Fall afternoon over in the H-Town Astrodome.

OK, ALREADY, I'LL SHORTEN THIS STORY: wink.gif

On this UH Cougar football team that included future country singer great Larry Gatlin (as he was recruited by UH out of Odessa HS); anyway, the UH Cougars (and their vaunted Houston Veer offense) ran up over 100 points on the little ol' tu golden hurricane that day and (if memory serves me well) I believe the UH defense even kept Tulsa U under 2 or 3 touchdowns. It was a collegiate football massacre of biblical proportions.

Wish I had some moral to the story or a............"And now..........you know the rest of the story" but I don't.................yet thats what happened to the tu golden hurricane that day. Some might just happen to wonder how much respect the Tulsa radio boys had for that Texas college football team that day in the Astrodome, ie, the Cougars of the University of Houston. smile.gif

We Will Have Brighter Days Ahead in Mean Green Country......

PS and what the heck I do have a moral to the story: Call up your father today and tell him you love him, because one day you won't have that luxury. Peace to all...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'm pretty sure it was a C-USA crew for our game with SMU. Is there some sort of deal now where the visiting conference provides the officials?

Plumm, that was probably your best post in a while....good reading.

On to the Tulsa announcers. OMG they were absolutely horrible. We do not know how lucky we are to have George and Hank.

The play-by-play guy referred to Woody as "Mitchell" all night long. The "color guy" had absolutely no respect for NT (or anyone else for that matter). Basically kept saying now's the time for Tulsa (Tulsa! podunk, piece of crap Tulsa!) to restore order to the universe and re-establish Tulsa's rightful position above the lowly Mean Green who really don't belong on the same field with the mighty Golden Hurricane. It was funny to hear him tighten up a little as the game dragged on in the 1st half and NT held on to the 3-0 lead late. He also kept thinking that Antoine Bush (5-11" 176) was a linebacker and how they just completely overmatched us in size and speed. They were painful to listen to. Unfortunately there was such a gap between the video feed and George and Hank, you were almost forced to listen to them.

What's the difference between Tulsa and Yogurt? Yogurt has an active, growing culture. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Keith