Dawson makes big impression at UNT

MeanGreen61

Dawson makes big impression at UNT

Linebacker filling in well for Graves

08:57 PM CDT on Thursday, September 14, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

When Phillip Graves came hobbling off the field with a knee injury during preseason practice a few weeks ago, the situation had all the makings of a disaster for North Texas.

Graves is arguably the Mean Green’s best defensive player and is on the watch list for the Butkus Award that goes to the nation’s top linebacker.

UNT has missed Graves in its first two games of the season.

Germaine Dawson has just made that longing a little less painful.

UNT plugged the former walk-on in for the Preseason All-Sun Belt Conference selection and watched him develop into a force in his own right. Dawson enters the Mean Green’s game against Tulsa on Saturday ranked second among UNT players in tackles with 13 and first in pass breakups with three.

“Germaine is an active player,” UNT defensive coordinator Fred Bleil said. “He can go outside and play against a wide receiver and also play in the box. His skills are really very similar to Graves’. Once we plugged him into the lineup he has gotten better and better.”

Dawson’s list of highlights is surprisingly long considering he has started just two games. The most impressive of the plays Dawson has made came last week in the Mean Green’s win over Dallas-area rival SMU at Fouts Field.

Dawson had Justin Willis in his grasp when the former Ryan quarterback threw a pass that was tipped and intercepted by defensive lineman Sky Pruitt. The sophomore later sacked backup quarterback Corey Slater to help kill another drive.

“It felt so good to get that sack,” Dawson said. “I had a chance earlier, but he got out of my grasp. … I was not going to let him go a second time.”

When Dawson first arrived at UNT, he didn’t appear destined to play a key role on the Mean Green’s defense. The former Rockdale standout was a second-team Class 3A all-state selection as a senior, but was undersized for a linebacker at 6-1, 207.

Both UNT and Baylor recruited Dawson, but neither offered a scholarship.

The Bears coaching staff wanted Dawson to accept a partial academic scholarship with the understanding that he would receive a full athletic scholarship in January. UNT offered Dawson a chance to walk on.

“North Texas had won four conference championships, but Baylor hadn’t had a lot of success,” Dawson said. “When I got accepted to North Texas I decided to come here.”

The decision has paid off for Dawson, who played on special teams and backed up Graves as a freshman.

“I knew I was going to get some playing time this season, but with Phillip being a senior and how good a player he is, I didn’t really think I would do more than relieve him if he got tired,” Dawson said.

That plan changed when Graves strained the medial collateral ligament in his knee.

UNT had a host of experienced inside linebackers it could have moved to rover spot for its season opener against the Longhorns, but plugged in Dawson instead.

The Mean Green got their first indication that playing Dawson might not be such a bad idea against Texas. Dawson finished with eight tackles and broke up three passes against the defending national champions.

“The Texas game everywhere I looked it was No. 53 on the tackle,” UNT defensive lineman Sky Pruitt said. “It’s extremely exciting to have someone step in and start making plays. For guys like Phillip and I who are in our last year, to see guys step in and play up to par is pretty awesome. You need guys like that if you are going to be successful.”

Dawson credited his success in part to Graves, a player he looks up to and seeks out for advice on the sideline.

UNT will need Dawson to continue his recent surge for at least a few more weeks.

Dickey said he wants to be careful bringing back Graves because the team captain’s knee problems could linger if he returns too quickly.

Thanks to Dawson, playing without Graves for a little while longer does not appear as if it will be as costly.

“Germaine is a young guy, but he has the skills and an attitude that he is not going to let his age or size be a disadvantage,” fellow linebacker Willie Ransom said. “He watches a lot of film and really wants to be a student of the game. He acts older than he is.”

Germaine’s germination

North Texas sophomore linebacker Germaine Dawson has filled in nicely for Butkus Award candidate Phillip Graves the last two weeks. The following is a look back at the former Rockdale standout’s first two outings of the season.

Game Tackles Highlight

Texas Eight Broke up three passes

SMU Five Posted first career sack

Edited by MeanGreen61

Maybe this will, if not silence, at least quiet one of the biggest B.S. questions thrown around on this board.

Who cares about winning the Sun Belt?

RECRUITS. Guys like Dawson, who has stepped in not just admirably, but EXCEPTIONALLY for arguably our best defensive player. He passed up a Big 12 offer that was perhaps better than what we offered him. Even if it's a rationalization rather than a reason for coming here, he at least says that the conference championships were a factor.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

RECRUITS. Guys like Dawson, who has stepped in not just admirably, but EXCEPTIONALLY for arguably our best defensive player. He passed up a Big 12 offer that was perhaps better than what we offered him. Even if it's a rationalization rather than a reason for coming here, he at least says that the conference championships were a factor.

Or, if he could walk on at one of 2 universities and one is at least twice as experience as the other; it makes the decision easier. It could have been what he could afford, since he was paying his own way.