1976 Texas v. North Texas Game

Green Jackal

Here is my favorite comment from a UT fan about that game.

The other thing I recall about the game - NT had a 3rd and veeeery long, deep in their own end, and as they came out of the huddle, the QB stopped to tie his shoe, a good 10 yards or more behind the line. They snapped it long to him, and he quick-kicked. Completely unexpected, got a great roll, and put Texas way back. There was a flag on the play though, and it came back, so 3rd and even longer. They huddled up deep again, and the QB stopped to tie his shoe again, and the whole crowd groaned, thinking how stupid it was to try to catch us by surprise again... except this time, it was snapped, the safeties ran deep to cover the punt, and the QB threw it, for a first down. Got a huge roar of approval from the crowd. We (Texas) did win 17-14, not exactly impressive.

And THAT folks was what it was like watching a Hayden Fry coached team.

Here is my favorite comment from a UT fan about that game.

The other thing I recall about the game - NT had a 3rd and veeeery long, deep in their own end, and as they came out of the huddle, the QB stopped to tie his shoe, a good 10 yards or more behind the line. They snapped it long to him, and he quick-kicked. Completely unexpected, got a great roll, and put Texas way back. There was a flag on the play though, and it came back, so 3rd and even longer. They huddled up deep again, and the QB stopped to tie his shoe again, and the whole crowd groaned, thinking how stupid it was to try to catch us by surprise again... except this time, it was snapped, the safeties ran deep to cover the punt, and the QB threw it, for a first down. Got a huge roar of approval from the crowd. We (Texas) did win 17-14, not exactly impressive.

And THAT folks was what it was like watching a Hayden Fry coached team.

The difference in that game was Earl Campbell. In the second half (when UT realized they had a real game on their hands), the began giving it to Earl again and again. He finally wore us down, ending up with over 200 yards on the ground. If not for Earl, we would have won.

Reminds me of the LSU-UNT ball game that I attended in Baton Rouge in '95. We came out for an entire series and lined up everybody wide except 3 lineman and the QB in the shotgun. It wasn't very successful, but the Tigers fans were loving it and were cheering for our boldness and ingenuity. Good feeling.

GMG!

--I Listened on radio... and we lead a lot of the time..... The reason we even played them was that Tennessee had backed out of their deal ( after we defeated them) and we managed to replace them with Texas.... A very good game ..

Fry and co. were interesting... they were never boring.... win or lose and they won a lot.

Without Earl available, North Texas would have won... His long run near the end (right offensive side? was the difference. I saw it a lot of times on news highlights and those coaches shows that existed then.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66