Scrimmage of interest tonight on Ch. 27 KDFI

If I remember correctly there is some sort of basketball tourney on tonight.  Some kind of "Final Four" or something like that.  I may watch that instead. 

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!

What the hell are you thinking?!!! Don't you know that the University of Texas is having a scrimmage? You have to watch them because they have the word "Texas" in their school name and that means they're representative of all Texans! Geez, it's a school from our state and that means they should have your unwavering support.

Did I leave anything out untplaymaker et al?

What the hell are you thinking?!!!  Don't you know that the University of Texas is having a scrimmage?  You have to watch them because they have the word "Texas" in their school name and that means they're representative of all Texans!  Geez, it's a school from our state and that means they should have your unwavering support. 

Did I leave anything out untplaymaker et al?

No kidding on the "Texas in your name" thing. We know for a fact that all of our OOC opponents think we are related to the longhorns... Even the fans at the freakin Arkansas game were giving us the "upside-down" horns handsign? I guess we ARE horns-related if everyone else in the country thinks we are? We should watch this scrimmage, and yell for the Bums-in-Burnt-Orange so at least the Arkansas fans dont come across as total morons...

Honestly, I still wont be watching. I personally think that Arkansas image thing has already been settled... and without Vince Young, UT has three big-time lossess last year and NO National title.

Yay... How exciting will these guys be to watch now?

GMG!!! dry.gif

So I had to watch it b/c I was there earning a paycheck. They did not look that good, on offense anyway. There is significant drop off at the qb position (as expected). Very few passes were on target. Special teams looked good and the defense was playing pretty well, but they did not execute on offense. That zone read thing did not work with qb's who can't run.

BTW I was trying to watch the final four at the same time. What a snooze fest! I just hope the championship game is worthwhile.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

I imagine more of you will have more to add this week but I noticed similar the same things EagleD did. Mack stated that they were not going to show anything anyways because it was televised so they stuck to their base system. tU also didn't have a couple of their studs suited up including a reciever, can't remember his name. I didn't expect them to look sharp on offense, few spring games are ever entertaining on offense. One thing for sure, tU will not have more experience at the QB position than us. Also, more than likely, as delicate as they were being on the two QB's, chances are neither will have sustained a true, hard hit by game time in September. I wished our defense would find a Craig Jones head hunter again because I see opportunity written all over this game. I would in the very least like to see our defense play with attitude again.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I imagine more of you will have more to add this week but I noticed similar the same things EagleD did.  Mack stated that they were not going to show anything anyways because it was televised so they stuck to their base system.

Watched about 1/2 of it. Thought that Finley looked great. He will definitely have big shoes to fill at TE. Very vanilla stuff, offense wise. Worried about UT's secondary, although they will be ok, I'm sure.

One thing for sure, tU will not have more experience at the QB position than us.

For sure. This may be a big mark in UNT's favor. UNT will definitely need to come out and hit UT in the mouth, and bring it all game long. If they do, and can keep it up for 4 quarters, anything can happen. Big opportunity for the MG, because UT will be depending on the defense to win this game for them. No reason for UNT to play it safe. Bring it all, bet the farm, and let it roll. wink.gif

UNT will definitely need to come out and hit UT in the mouth, and bring it all game long.  If they do, and can keep it up for 4 quarters, anything can happen.  Big opportunity for the MG, because UT will be depending on the defense to win this game for them.  No reason for UNT to play it safe.  Bring it all, bet the farm, and let it roll.  wink.gif

My thoughts exactly. I didnt watch the game, didnt even know it was going on, but I would imagine with a freshmen QB, there is no reason why we shouldnt be showing them all kinds of different blitz's and try to disrupt timing as much as possible maybe forcing some trunovers.

I think UT's defense will still be stout, so moving the ball will be still be quite a feat... and if history is any indicator, it will be actually be more like a nightmare as we havent even been able to get as much as a field goal the last 2 times we played. Our O-line will have to play out of their minds for us to have a chance.

you guys are seriously nuts if you think NT has a chance in hell to stay within 40 pts of UT. Even though they have a rookie QB, there is no question that these two guys are studs and are light years aheads of UNT's. all they have to do is manage the game and they will be national title contenders again. they have the best back field in the nation, top young receivers, and according to ESPN one of the best D's in the country. oh yeah...#2 recruiting class in the country. they will be pre-season top 5 with many people claiming they have MORE talent overall this year.....keep dreaming guys...this will be a laugher. UNT cant even play with sunbelt teams...

UT- 57

UNT- 3

you guys are seriously nuts if you think NT has a chance in hell to stay within 40 pts of UT. Even though they have a rookie QB, there is no question that these two guys are studs and are light years aheads of UNT's. all they have to do is manage the game and they will be national title contenders again. they have the best back field in the nation, top young receivers, and according to ESPN one of the best D's in the country. oh yeah...#2 recruiting class in the country. they will be pre-season top 5 with many people claiming they have MORE talent overall this year.....keep dreaming guys...this will be a laugher. UNT cant even play with sunbelt teams...

UT- 57

UNT- 3

Texas does have superior talent, but from what I saw of qb play they won't have much of a passing attack. I know it's early, and the qb's can develop (although Mack's reputation at developing qb passing abilities is questionable...at best) but Texas will be one dimensional next year. It is a heck of a dimension, though. I don't think we'll win, but it should be a little closer than in '04.

UT- 57

UNT- 3

Remind me.... tU had one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes in the nation for about 6-7 years now. How many national titles have they won?

Recruiting classes mean jack. What's important is how they play on the field - whether they can play together, whether they can execute the plays, etc. You can have a 1600 (now I guess that's 2400) on the SATs and wind up a bum on the street. Potential is nothing but potential until you get results.

Also, I hardly think managing the North Texas game will automatically make them national contenders. And while everyone has their own opinions about the coaching, in the off season at least, you've got to support your players and be upbeat. We have several real assets on our team, and I think if they can band together and play with some real resolve, we can scare tU, if not beat them. I remember in 2001 when we kept them scoreless in the second half and lost the game by less than 30.

Remind me.... tU had one of the best (if not the best) recruiting classes in the nation for about 6-7 years now. How many national titles have they won?

Recruiting classes mean jack. What's important is how they play on the field - whether they can play together, whether they can execute the plays, etc. You can have a 1600 (now I guess that's 2400) on the SATs and wind up a bum on the street. Potential is nothing but potential until you get results.

Also, I hardly think managing the North Texas game will automatically make them national contenders. And while everyone has their own opinions about the coaching, in the off season at least, you've got to support your players and be upbeat. We have several real assets on our team, and I think if they can band together and play with some real resolve, we can scare tU, if not beat them. I remember in 2001 when we kept them scoreless in the second half and lost the game by less than 30.

You don't have to be a national title contender to beat us by 50 - you don't even need to be a conference title contender...

Sorry your comment got deleted Stan. Hope you can make it up the mountain with me next time.

I agree with everything in the second half of your post, but I disagree with this.

Recruiting classes do mean jack. UT is the winningest program over the past 8 years with an 83-19 record (ahead of Miami, BSU, OU, and FSU). You think having one of the best recruiting classes in the nation for those 6-7 years had anything to do with that?

And although its certainly possible that someone who aces the SAT could end up on the street, the incidence of such occurance is certainly far lower than someone who is mentally handicapped or mentally ill.

That being said, I still maintain what I said in my first post. This is as good a chance as we have had in years. Long shot, sure. But I will still be there in green cheering my ass off.

I'll take "The Draw Play" for 800, Alex

Close '55.

Answer: With tU showing an 8 man front, and Cobbs with a broken hand and wearing a cast from the nuckles up past his wrist, we run this:

N 1-10 N20 Patrick Cobbs rush over right guard for loss of 1 yard to the NT19

(Robinson, Brian;Hall, Eric).

N 2-11 N19 Patrick Cobbs rush over left tackle for 1 yard to the NT20 (Hall,

Eric;Johnson, Derric).

N 3-10 N20 Patrick Cobbs rush up middle for 1 yard to the NT21 (Huff, Michael).

N 4-9 N21 Brad Kadlubar punt 32 yards to the UT47, downed, PENALTY NT kick catching

interference (M Knowlton) 15 yards to the NT38, 1st and 10, UT ball on

NT38.

Amazing isn't it?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Close '55. 

Answer:  With tU showing an 8 man front, and Cobbs with a broken hand  and wearing a cast from the nuckles up past his wrist, we run this:

N 1-10 N20   Patrick Cobbs rush over right guard for loss of 1 yard to the NT19

N 2-11 N19   Patrick Cobbs rush over left tackle for 1 yard to the NT20 (Hall,

Eric;Johnson, Derric).

N 3-10 N20   Patrick Cobbs rush up middle for 1 yard to the NT21 (Huff, Michael).

N 4-9  N21   Brad Kadlubar punt 32 yards to the UT47, downed, PENALTY NT kick catching

NT38.

Amazing isn't it?

Rick

and this year will be different because? dry.gif

Edited by LoveMG

I'm not sure why anyone is giddy over the fact that they'll have an inexperienced QB next fall. Last I checked, our run defense was atrocious. Unless we make some major strides before 9/2, UT is going to be running the DD offense against us.

I'll be interested to see how much of the 3-4 we run against UT and their massive oline...esp. if we're only using it with Gilmore on the field.

Close '55. 

Answer:  With tU showing an 8 man front, and Cobbs with a broken hand  and wearing a cast from the nuckles up past his wrist, we run this:

N 1-10 N20   Patrick Cobbs rush over right guard for loss of 1 yard to the NT19

N 2-11 N19   Patrick Cobbs rush over left tackle for 1 yard to the NT20 (Hall,

Eric;Johnson, Derric).

N 3-10 N20   Patrick Cobbs rush up middle for 1 yard to the NT21 (Huff, Michael).

N 4-9  N21   Brad Kadlubar punt 32 yards to the UT47, downed, PENALTY NT kick catching

NT38.

Amazing isn't it?

Rick

If this is how we play the game this year, we will lose by 60+ points again.

Notice on 3rd and 10, we run up the middle and Michael Huff, the SAFETY makes the tackle on a one yard play. Yeah, Id say they felt the passing game was of little concern.

Of course, who can forget the next play after this sequence. Painful.

Edited by Eagle1855