Score another one for the little guy...

And surprisingly enough George Mason has only been a university for 34 years. My Bracket is now offically dead since I had UCONN winning the whole tournament, oh well.

I had UConn all the way too, but I couldn't help but be rooting for George Mason.

Colonial Conference members have several big wins in post season play.

Third place Hofstra defeated George Mason 58-49 in the Colonial Tournament. They had NIT wins over Nebraska 73-62 and St. Joseph's of the Atlantic 10 77-75 before losing to Colonial Conference mate 4th place Old Dominion.

Old Dominion had previously scored NIT wins over Colorado 79-61 and Manhattan 70-66. They play Michigan Tuesday at Madison Square Garden in NIT semi-finals.

NC Wilmington tied with George Mason for the regular season Championship and then won the Colonial Conference Tournament and an automatic NCAA bid. They lost to George Washington in the first round 88-85 (OT).

George Mason is an interesting school. We think of them as small, but their student body is around 30,000.

For a long time, the Virginia state government did not really support this type of college. In other words, admission to any state school was tough. In fact, UVA did not admit women until the 70s if I recall.

Then, it was decided to grow three schools for the large metro areas in Va: Old Dominion for the Norfolk/Va Beach area, Va Commonwealth for Richmond and GMU for metro Washington. All three have done very well in both academics and athletics although none play football.

The Virginians are in a basketball frenzy: as I posted earlier, Va Wesleyan won the Div III tourney, Va Union placed second in the Div II playoffs and now there is GMU coming out of nowhere. Who would have thungt it!!