Ok, let's settle a few things

emmitt01

---Smart man (to decline), personally I would consider you fourth generation Texan since your great-grandfather apparently died in Texas.  The KKK was more active in the eastern part of state and not so much in the western (frontier) part. 

---My father's side were German immigrants but on my mother's side, her mother's came from the Confederacy and her father's family came from the California Gold Rush (49er). They settled on land that was part of the Chisolm trail....You could still a little evidence of it when I was a kid.   Doesn't really sound like I am  a yankee from NYC, does it.  LOL

Hmmm, didn't know about that rule.

Well, my great-great Grandfather also died in Texas (we think) and is buried in the Palestine City Cemetary. He's originally from New York. My great-Grandfather is buried at the Troop cemetary...even though he lived in Tyler. And he was born in Illinois, or Michigan, depending on which document you read.

Edited by SilverEagle

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, didn't know about that rule.

Well, my great-great Grandfather also died in Texas (we think) and  is buried in the Palestine City Cemetary. He's originally from New York. My great-Grandfather is buried at the Troop cemetary...even though he lived in Tyler. And he was born in Illinois, or Michigan, depending on which document you read.

I have always heard it used as the first generation American or Texan as the one that came here. ...but their children (if born here) are considered first generation "native" Texan or American which also makes them a second generation Texan or American. Guess different places or people do it differently.... who knows. In any case I ain't no New York City kid as implied by someone.... I could not be any more Texan other than having all my family here during the Texas Republic. ..haha

Since we usually call Davy Crocket a "naturalized Texan" for being here all of three weeks, I'd say you can count whom ever moved here as the first Generation.

One of my great-great Grandfathers signed the Texas Declaration of Independence - A. B. Hardin. They drew it up in a bar and I suspect that is why he was there!

---Sorry, afraid not, my family showed up on the Texas Frontier in the 1870's, even one member was scalped by Indians.  Some members were even denied the right to vote by the Republican reconstruction in Texas.  My Grandfather lost a lot of Texas land due the Republican economic and banking policies during the 20's which caused the Depression.  I am not quite a Yellow-Dog Democrat but getting a lot closer due the the policies regarding schools by the present GOP-led legislature at the moment.  The GOP in the past have been the RATS ( the polite term you used ) and seem to be getting there again. 

---Are you a 5th generation Texan as I am ??? and are you enjoying all the tuition increases and educational policies we have had as a result of the past two GOP-led  regular sessions.  They passed no school budget  (a first in Texas) which caused many schools to open without needed supplies. I seem to remember them approving a Law School for North Texas and then not funding it.  Yep, they are really great guys (Delay et. al.) --and that is why Stayhorn has left the party.

I meant nothing to you Mr T, after all, I know your family...next time I will just call the people who support California over Texas athletes communist wink.gif