Thank you Dickey

emmitt01

When Hayden Fry was here there were 26 bowls. We still didn't get invited.

And when Fry was around, UNT wasn't in a wussy conference that created its own bowl game for the (approximate) 110'th on down ranked team in NCAA D1-A, ie, its football champion, to host, either. What is more shocking than this schools apparent lack of knowledge with hiring is the fact that so many seem just content with this Bottom 10 existence without even putting up a fight, or rather, sending out some letters and emails to key UNT people responsible for this ongoing charade.

Another thing, probably not a good idea to bring Hayden Fry's name up in comparing anything thats now going on at UNT now because you that might accidently start an unfair comparison between Hayden Fry and Darrell Dickey and most anyone would know among those 2 who would outcoach the other 100 times out of 100 games.

The difference with Fry, though, is that he knew who he would need to schedule (and occassionally) beat for our program to make some noticable gains at UNT (and it wasn't schools at the level of the present SBC/Bottom 10, either).

Hayden Fry was a public relations-oriented guy, too, just too bad UNT enrollment was about 2/3'rds smaller back then and Denton Country had about 99,000 pop. instead of today's 560,000. Fry would also be smart enough not to spend about 4 years of his radio post games shows as an opportunity to take pot shots at NT alums, fans or the very ones who write his paychecks, either.

And when Fry was around, UNT wasn't in a wussy conference that created its own bowl game for the (approximate) 110'th on down ranked team in NCAA D1-A, ie, its football champion,  to host, either.  What is more shocking than this schools apparent lack of knowledge with hiring is the fact that so many seem just content with this Bottom 10 existence without even putting up a fight, or rather, sending out some letters and emails to key UNT people responsible for this ongoing charade.

Another thing, probably not a good idea to bring Hayden Fry's name up in comparing anything thats now going on at UNT now because you that might accidently start an unfair comparison between Hayden Fry and Darrell Dickey and most anyone would know among those 2 who would outcoach the other 100 times out of 100 games.

The difference with Fry, though, is that he knew who he would need to schedule (and occassionally) beat for our program to make some noticable gains  at UNT (and it wasn't schools at the level of the present SBC/Bottom 10, either). 

Hayden Fry was a public relations-oriented guy, too, just too bad UNT enrollment was about 2/3'rds smaller back then and Denton Country had about 99,000 pop. instead of today's 560,000.  Fry would also be smart enough not to spend about 4 years of his radio post games shows as an opportunity to take pot shots at NT alums, fans or the very ones who write his paychecks, either.

And when Fry was around, UNT wasn't in a wussy conference that created its own bowl game for the (approximate) 110'th on down ranked team in NCAA D1-A, ie, its football champion,  to host, either.  What is more shocking than this schools apparent lack of knowledge with hiring is the fact that so many seem just content with this Bottom 10 existence without even putting up a fight, or rather, sending out some letters and emails to key UNT people responsible for this ongoing charade.

The difference with Fry, though, is that he knew who he would need to schedule (and occassionally) beat for our program to make some noticable gains  at UNT (and it wasn't schools at the level of the present SBC/Bottom 10, either). 

Hayden Fry was a public relations-oriented guy, too, just too bad UNT enrollment was about 2/3'rds smaller back then and Denton Country had about 99,000 pop. instead of today's 560,000.  Fry would also be smart enough not to spend about 4 years of his radio post games shows as an opportunity to take pot shots at NT alums, fans or the very ones who write his paychecks, either.

Gee, where to begin. How about with Hayden, who is never one to either mince words, talked both on TV and to fans about how well Dickey is doing.

As for having a lower level conference start it's own bowl game. I guess we should eliminate the Boise, Las Vegas, Motor City and Holiday bowls since they were all started by what were at the time the lowest ranked confereces. Shreveport started a bowl specifically because there were teams in the region that could not get invited to any other bowl!

I guess I'm listen to different post game and coaches shows since the one's I'm hearing Darrell frequent compliments the fans who are hanging in there despite the losses. He also says he is responsible for the losses this season, but only a few of us seem to hear this. He was very specific about that tonight but I wonder how many filtered it out this time.

And I was at a number of post game interviews with Hayden back in the day. I vividly remember how "The team let him down" after a lose to Miss State in 78. Don't forget that we really just went 9-2 in 77 - we only went 10-1 because those Miss State folks had to forfeit the 76 and 77 games to us.

We had a horrible season. No one is saying we did not. We've also been to four straight bowl games. In case you're forgetting, that's more in a row than we had been to before, period! We sucked this year. But we still have lost all of our conference games since 2001 by a total of 23 points. We went 2-9 with a team that had a total of 10 seniors to lead it.

Now is when we need to rally, not desert. I'm one of those who is going out and loudly encouraging my friends to join the Mean Green Club and up our donations. The Mean Green needs it now more than ever.

Gee, where to begin. How about with Hayden, who is never one to either mince words, talked both on TV and to fans about how well Dickey is doing.

As for having a lower level conference start it's own bowl game. I guess we should eliminate the Boise, Las Vegas, Motor City and Holiday bowls since they were all started by what were at the time the lowest ranked confereces. Shreveport started a bowl specifically because there were teams in the region that could not get invited to any other bowl!

I guess I'm listen to different post game and coaches shows since the one's I'm hearing Darrell frequent compliments the fans who are hanging in there despite the losses. He also says he is responsible for the losses this season, but only a few of us seem to hear this. He was very specific about that tonight but I wonder how many filtered it out this time.

And I was at a number of post game interviews with Hayden back in the day. I vividly remember how "The team let him down" after a lose to Miss State in 78. Don't forget that we really just went 9-2 in 77 - we only went 10-1 because those Miss State folks had to forfeit the 76 and 77 games to us.

We had a horrible season. No one is saying we did not. We've also been to four straight bowl games. In case you're forgetting, that's more in a row than we had been to before, period! We sucked this year. But we still have lost all of our conference games since 2001 by a total of 23 points. We went 2-9 with a team that had a total of 10 seniors to lead it.   

Now is when we need to rally, not desert. I'm one of those who is going out and loudly encouraging my friends to join the Mean Green Club and up our donations. The Mean Green needs it now more than ever.

No need to say more... I agree completely. Before you guys start going over board on this lousy season, remember who was missing, and who (we hope) will be back. Next season will be a different story. Hang in there with the Ole Ball Coach, and lets get this thing ready for the spring.

GMG!!!

Hang in there with the Ole Ball Coach, and lets get this thing ready for the spring.

You calling Dickey "the Ole Ball Coach" is BLASPHEMY. The Ole Ball Coach is a nickname coined for one of the greatest offensive minds in College football, Steve Spurrier. You have condemned yourself to football hell, for mentioning Spurrier and Dickey in the same breath.

Hayden Fry does not know the inner workings of this program. ie, coach not going to practice for the past three weeks. He showed up some, but how many D-1 coaches do you think miss any of practice? This team underachieved. Take away the personal fouls yesterday and we won that game. Did anybody notice that Coach Dickey actually got one this week?

Hayden Fry does not know the inner workings of this program.  ie, coach not going to practice for the past three weeks.  He showed up some, but how many D-1 coaches do you think miss any of practice?  This team underachieved.  Take away the personal fouls yesterday and we won that game.  Did anybody notice that Coach Dickey actually got one this week?

Not disputing your claim that Dickey missed several practices, but could he have been on the road recruiting some talent? God I hope so.