MUTS can Andy Mac

MeanGreen61

Middle Tennessee fires McCollum

By Adam Sparks

DNJ staff writer

MTSU head football coach Andy McCollum has been fired from the position effective immediately, the Daily News Journal has learned.

He was notified of the coaching change by MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro today.

The Blue Raiders, who lost 24-3 at North Carolina State Saturday, have two games remaining on their schedule. According to sources close to the program, McCollum was given the option by Massaro to coach the final two games of the season and accepted. MTSU plays at Troy Saturday before closing the season at Florida International on Dec. 3.

McCollum, who is amid a fourth straight losing season in his seven-year tenure, is set to meet with the MTSU football team tonight to address his firing.

Massaro declined comment pending an official statement from the athletic department Monday.

McCollum, who has one year remaining on his contract, has an overall record of 33-44.

After MTSU jumped to Division I-A in 1999, McCollum had back-to-back winning seasons in 2000 (6-5) and 2001 (8-3), claiming a share of the Sun Belt championship in the latter year. Each winning season also earned him the TSWA Coach of the Year award.

However, the Blue Raiders went 16-28 over the last four seasons, including a 12-14 conference mark. MTSU is 3-6 this season and 2-3 in the Sun Belt.

Meanwhile, the Blue Raiders have lost four straight home openers in front of large crowds, leading to a slump in home attendance.

McCollum was hired as MTSU’s 13th head football coach on Dec. 8, 1998. He was an assistant at MTSU from 1982-88 under former head coach and athletic director Boots Donnelly. He also was an assistant at UTEP (1989-93), Baylor (1989-93) and Tennessee (1995, seven weeks).

He was gone after the loss to NT in the opener. The only question was would he finish out the season.

Maybe Dickey will leave his difficult situation for a better one at MTSU?

No surprise here. The coach just couldn't get his team over the hump; and the AD obvisouly felt the team had a higher ceiling....where have I heard this before?

I would imagine they wouldn't be making a coaching change if they had won 4 straight conference titles and been to 4 straight bowl games.

You think??

I would imagine they wouldn't be making a coaching change if they had won 4 straight conference titles and been to 4 straight bowl games. 

You think??

If so then I would assume the phone has been ringing off the wall in Denton with the offer to replace Mac with you know who?

That would sort of answer your question wouldn't it? Hmmm, interesting!

Rick

Today's DRC said that Andy Mac would be allowed to coach the final two games of this season. That is a better deal than I believed would happen when I read that his termination would be "effective immediately". I believed that MT was going to send him away with two games left in the season. That would not have been good.