Customer in Idaho

NT91

I was talking to a customer located in Idaho this A.M.

During our conversation he commented that North Texas is not doing well this year.

Mind you he was the one that brought up NT. I told him I went to NT and that we can win the SB if we win out the season. He told me that they (Idaho) could never beat NT, and that we had a great pair of backs. He also told me that he was an SMU alum from way back.

He told me that they (Idaho) could never beat NT

There was a four year period where we couldn't beat Idaho and that killed me to no end. That's why the victory in 2001 was so sweet.

1997 30-17 Idaho

1998 41-23 Idaho (they beat USM in the Boise Bowl and this was a good Idaho team.

1999 28-10 Idaho

2000 16-14 Idaho (killer last second drive and field goal at Fouts)

2001 50-27 UNT (monkey off our back)

Anybody remember what was so bizarre about the 1998 season and what happened in Idaho's last game that might have created a crazy scenario for UNT and the Big West?

Edited by meanrob

Anybody remember what was so bizarre about the 1998 season and what happened in Idaho's last game that might have created a crazy scenario for UNT and the Big West?

Was that the year we almost won the Big West Conference with a 3-8 record and went to a Bowl? I believe there were only 5 conference games and we finished like 3-2 and owned tiebreakers, until a fluke happened in another game? Sounds like this year. ohmy.gif

Was that the year we almost won the Big West Conference with a 3-8 record and went to a Bowl?  I believe there were only 5 conference games and we finished like 3-2 and owned tiebreakers, until a fluke happened in another game?  Sounds like this year.  ohmy.gif

That year we beat Nevada in the monsoon, Boise St on the road, and new mexico st in the season finally. We would have won conference if ,in Logan, Ut, one of our players got called for holding on an extra point, which our kicker ended up missing. After exchanging punts, we end up pinning Utah St inside their own one with about 2 minutes left. We drop a game clinching int, and Utah St drives down and kicks the game winning field goal, which was obviously no good, and we lose by one point.

Anyone remember that game?

Idaho beat Boise by 1 point. Had Boise won that game it would have sent the conference into a three way tie between Idaho, Boise and North Texas, all sitting with a 3-2 conference record. I suppose then that, had that happened and since even though Idaho would have tied with Boise in overall record at 7-4, and even though Boise held the head-to-head over Idaho, that Idaho would have still gone to the bowl over Boise and NT since Idaho held the head to head against North Texas, and they had more wins against 1-A opponents than Boise did? I can't remember the specifics of that game between Idaho and Boise though? As it stood, Idaho finished the season 9-3 with the win over USM in the bowl game.

We would have won conference if ,in Logan, Ut, one of our players got called for holding on an extra point, which our kicker ended up missing. After exchanging punts, we end up pinning Utah St inside their own one with about 2 minutes left. We drop a game clinching int, and Utah St drives down and kicks the game winning field goal, which was obviously no good, and we lose by one point.

As far as I can remember, had we beaten Utah State that 1998 season, we would have tied Idaho for wins in conference at 4-1, but Idaho would have still held the head-to-head over us and still advanced to the bowl? As it turned out, we tied with Nevada in conference record wise(3-2), but took second place overall since we held the head-to-head over the Wolf Pack.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

As I remember if Idaho had lost we would have won the conference because three teams would had tied at 3-2 and for some reason we held the tie-breakers.

That game went into overtime and Idaho took a chance and went for two after they had answered Boise's TD in overtime. Wild game.

That USU game was a killer that year. Half of the highlight video for that year came from that game and somehow we managed to lose it, even though some crazy stuff happened, like the last field goal really looking like it was no good.

The monsoon game was fun too, I was tired of being Nevada's whipping boy.

If I ever became AD I would wait until it looked like we would have a really good team and try to get a game with Nevada. Then I'd give the boys the biggest pep-talk ever given and tell the coach to do his best to score 100. It would be better if it was on the road because then I'd flip off the whole stadium and finally the taste of 77-0 would be removed.