Pounding on the Football Team

untbowler

I know I have been harsh on the football team, mainly due to the high expectations raised by the last 4 years.

Seeing how we have been hounding the football for poor play, should we also not hold the other teams accountable as well.

Men's B-Ball: This should be a breakout year for Jones he is now in his 4th season and his first set of recruits should be matured by now.

Women's B-Ball: Slinker seems to continually get great recruiting classes but success seems limited, yes they went to the NIT a few years ago but lost by 30 to a .500 Washington club. She has been around for a long-time and maybe it is time to light a fire and have a great season, they are picked #1 in their Division this year.

Women's V-Ball: They are very, very young this year, do not think there are any Seniors starting, next year should be a breakout

Soccer: No complaints here, the only UNT team to make it to big dance in the recent past.

Golf: Unfortunately tough to follow, seems like middle of the pack

Softball: Team in infancy, but when formed RV expected to compete from start, somewhat lackluster results in first 2 years, but very young.

Track & Field: The coaches seem to have some great athletes with several making regionals, think Sun Belt crowns not out of question.

Swimming and Diving: 0-2 this year, not sure of past results or championships

Tennis: Best finish 6th in conference, no Seniors in Starting line-up, but could have better results. Good HC, and a great Asst. Coach to help the ladies grow.

I guess overall we are so critical of DD and his results, but in order for the program to grow we need to start winning championships in every sport and right now only Soccer sticks out far above the rest. Coaching and recruiting will allow UNT to rise to the top of the Belt overall but all sports need to step-up not just Football and their annual trip to So. Louisiana.

Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

To me, the difference is that after football and men's b ball, the rest of the sports are invisible. How many women's b ball games have you been to ? Who's your favorite swimming/diving athlete ? I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is.

I also think Tina has something other coaches don't. I used to think it was a photo of Dr. Hurley in his jammies. I don't think there is a coach at NT that has been around nearly as long. Her win/loss record is not good, yet I've never heard her face any pressure to win.

GO MEAN GREEN

To me, the difference is that after football and men's b ball, the rest of the sports are invisible.  How many women's b ball games have you been to ?  Who's your favorite swimming/diving athlete ?  I'm not saying it's right, just the way it is. 

I also think Tina has something other coaches don't.  I used to think it was a photo of Dr. Hurley in his jammies.  I don't think there is a coach at NT  that has been around nearly as long.  Her win/loss record is not good, yet I've never heard her face any pressure to win.

GO MEAN GREEN

I have to disagree with you somewhat, all the sports have to be visible in order for the Athletics Department to get notice. Do you think Stanford feels their Women's Tennis Team is invisible? Do you think La. Tech feels their Women's B-Ball team is invisible?

We have to recognize that all the sports need our support, if one of the other sports gains national attention they can bring in better recruits, who in turn might tell their friends who play another sport to show up at UNT and that can help all programs.

You are correct though on the Slinker tenure though. biggrin.gif

One thing I can say about Tina Slinker though... she supports other sports, or at least the girl's soccer team. She was at the last game against Denver, and spent the entire game watching and asking questions about how soccer is played. Not that I can recognize many other coaches, but I didn't see JJ there (DD is excused b/c he was out of town).

Coach Jones is an outstanding man and the kind of guy you would want at the helm of your basketball program. Having said that, he also needs to put a competitive team on the floor NOW. It is time to do that. He really had some hard luck with some of the players, particularly Hopkins' health and the short time he had to work with Johnson, but this is the year his team needs to accomplish something or I'm afraid he will be in hot water. I for one do not want to see that, I support him.

Coach Slinker has been very successful, in my opinion. If you have trips to the big dance as a yardstick, no, she has not been successful. If your standard is being competitive and consistently representing the university well, I say yes, she has been successful.

I'll add that I'm a big fan of JJ as well. He's incredibly personable and does a fantastic job representing the university. I hadn't had the opportunity to see Tina Slinker much before, but I left the game with a much higher opinion of her - and the girl's soccer team.

Off topic slightly, but people should really go out to support those girls. They're fantastic, hard workers, and provide excellent games.

Certainly there are some exceptions, but for the most part, after football and men's basketball, I stand by what I said. The only time "other" sports will be mentioned on TV sport show is in a "feature" segment.

All sports, especially NT sports should be supported, but the reality is that support falls off quickly after the aforementioned sports. Poor attendance is not only the fact, it's expected. Imagine if 8,000 came to the next volleyball or softball game. I enjoy going to the softball games, but for the most part, they are undersupported. Not rightly so, but undersupported none the less.

GO MEAN GREEN

Certainly there are some exceptions, but for the most part, after football and men's basketball, I stand by what I said.  The only time "other" sports will be mentioned on TV sport show is in a "feature" segment. 

All sports, especially NT sports should be supported, but the reality is that support falls off quickly after the aforementioned sports.  Poor attendance is not only the fact, it's expected.  Imagine if 8,000 came to the next volleyball or softball  game.  I enjoy going to the softball games, but for the most part, they are undersupported.  Not rightly so, but undersupported none the less. 

GO MEAN GREEN

That's why ya'll need baseball. When are you guys getting a team? I would think Texas has a plethora of prep baseball talent, so ya'll would be competitive quickly.

Our baseball team gets not a lot, but quite a bit of pub here locally, esp. when we make the NCAA Regionals.

I know I have been harsh on the football team, mainly due to the high expectations raised by the last 4 years.

Seeing how we have been hounding the football for poor play, should we also not hold the other teams accountable as well.

Men's B-Ball: This should be a breakout year for Jones he is now in his 4th season and his first set of recruits should be matured by now.

Women's B-Ball: Slinker seems to continually get great recruiting classes but success seems limited, yes they went to the NIT a few years ago but lost by 30 to a .500 Washington club. She has been around for a long-time and maybe it is time to light a fire and have a great season, they are picked #1 in their Division this year.

Women's V-Ball: They are very, very young this year, do not think there are any Seniors starting, next year should be a breakout

Soccer: No complaints here, the only UNT team to make it to big dance in the recent past.

Golf: Unfortunately tough to follow, seems like middle of the pack

Softball: Team in infancy, but when formed RV expected to compete from start, somewhat lackluster results in first 2 years, but very young.

Track & Field: The coaches seem to have some great athletes with several making regionals, think Sun Belt crowns not out of question.

Swimming and Diving: 0-2 this year, not sure of past results or championships

Tennis: Best finish 6th in conference, no Seniors in Starting line-up, but could have better results. Good HC, and a great Asst. Coach to help the ladies grow.

I guess overall we are so critical of DD and his results, but in order for the program to grow we need to start winning championships in every sport and right now only Soccer sticks out far above the rest. Coaching and recruiting will allow UNT to rise to the top of the Belt overall but all sports need to step-up not just Football and their annual trip to So. Louisiana.

Just my 2 cents. wink.gif

I personally feel that each coach is a representative of the university and each

coach should be held responsible for not only the won-lost record but how their

program is perceived locally, state wide, and nationally. Each program should

be progressing each year. Over the years we have seen our football team

go from a top 25 program, during the last year for Fry to a 1-10 program under

Bob Tyler. The golf program went from the top school in the nation with 4 NCAA

titles to an "also ran". Coaches need to also be out in the communities promoting

their programs and building a fan base. Here are my thoughts after following

NT for 40+ years:

1. The football program needs a big thinking coach who is a positive energetic

personality that can excite the metroplex with teams that can beat other

schools rather than just Sun Belt teams.

2. I feel that basketball is the most professional quality staff we have. Thank

God they office away from the football coaches.

3. The women's BB program is way overdue for a change. If Tina doesn't win

and go to the NCAA this year she should be gone. Hope I'm wrong but I have

no confidence in her ability as a Div. 1 coach.

4. The Volleyball, softball, swimming, and tennis I can accept as long as some

progress is being made.

5. Soccer. Possibly the best program we have (I just don't understand the rules

and don't really like the sport) The coach is really a quality coach.

6. The men's an women's golf programs are in the process of rebuilding and I

feel will become respectable and a good reflection on the school. Probably

national championships are a long way off if ever, but after 30 years of

Herb Farrell taking the program down the tubes, it is looking better.

I just don't want to level off when we are geographically blessed and the only

Div. 1 complete athletic program in the metroplex and still not be able to compete

with a couple of church supported schools one third our size.

The budget never seems to be a problem with universities except when they are

trying to raise money from the fans. Come on Rik don't let us down. Put the

coaches on the hot seat and demand results!

There is no doubt that soccer is our best sport right now.

I do not understand the game, but I greatly enjoyed watching the women this last weekend. 802 fans listed by the AD, which I noticed was second to A&M (distant 2nd) in attendance for all regional women's soccer games over this past weekend.

I just enjoyed watching my school COMPETE, and do it so well that they actually won.

WHAT A CONCEPT, WHAT A FEELING!

Its funny most of you don't understand soccer. The basic rules are about half as complicated as gridiron football, and it doesn't involve as much strategy. Brad Sham (you know his as the Cowboys play-by-play guy) learned the game with a trip to the library one afternoon when he was called upon to do a Dallas Tornado that night 30 years ago. He's been the play-by-play guy for the Burn/FC Dallas since day 1 too.