UNT Athletic Budget

gangrene

Can someone who is in the know (or at least thinks he/she is) explain just where the money goes?? Where has our NO Bowl payout ($750K) and "ass-whipping" money gone the last four years? The athletic department insisted on making up the LSU game because of the $500K payout or else concessions would have been necessary to recoup the funds. I don't doubt that statement but where exactly is it going?? How much money did we waste developing those new logos? How much of the money generated by football goes toward the other sports?

What other ways can we generate income without asking the alumni to ante up $1,000-2,500 every year?

A considerable amount of money may have indeed went into the logo........but I don't think much (if any) came from the athletic budget.

What other ways can we generate income without asking the alumni to ante up $1,000-2,500 every year?

Well, no matter how much money the other "big" schools make, they still ask their alumni for their contribution.

Where did the money go? Every other sport that we never attend. Alumni contributions are the only way for us to grow. We have seen a comeback in student pride over the last few years. I am hoping that in a few more years when the group that graduated from 2000-2005 will begin recieving some paychecks that pay them enough that they can spare some for their school's athletic department.

An excerpt from a recent DRC article states "North Texas is to receive a $500,000 guarantee from LSU for playing the game. UNT's athletic budget for the fiscal year ending today is $12.2 million."

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...ef.bb30223.html

That $12.2 million is an increase from $7.4 million in 2000-01 according to another DRC article from 9/8/05. That particular article was recently posted by "MeanGreen 61" so I won't repost it.

Now am I to believe that all $5 million went to the new athletics facility or has the cost of travel increased that much in 5 years? The coaches sure as hell aren't seeing any drastic pay increases.

According to the Board of Regents Order from 2003,

Whereas, it is the desire of the Board of Regents to use the Unspent and Unencumbered

Proceeds for eligible costs, as permitted in the Fourth Supplement, toward the construction of the “Shell” phase of an Athletic Facility, and Whereas,, the total cost of the project is estimated to be $6,800,000, with the initial “Shell” phase of the project costing approximately $4,300,000 and the final “Finish-Out” phase of the project costing approximately $2,500,000

An excerpt from a recent DRC article states "North Texas is to receive a $500,000 guarantee from LSU for playing the game. UNT's athletic budget for the fiscal year ending today is $12.2 million."

That $12.2 million is an increase from $7.4 million in 2000-01 according to another DRC article from 9/8/05.  That particular article was recently posted by "MeanGreen 61" so I won't repost it.

Now am I to believe that all $5 million went to the new athletics facility or has the cost of travel increased that much in 5 years?  The coaches sure as hell aren't seeing any drastic pay increases.

Whereas, it is the desire of the Board of Regents to use the Unspent and Unencumbered

Proceeds for eligible costs, as permitted in the Fourth Supplement, toward the construction of the “Shell” phase of an Athletic Facility, and Whereas,, the total cost of the project is estimated to be $6,800,000, with the initial “Shell” phase of the project costing approximately $4,300,000 and the final “Finish-Out” phase of the project costing approximately $2,500,000

Coaching raises, softball, new coaches, increased staff, increased cost of scholarships due to increases in "tuition and fees", increases in costs of travel, increases in all kinds of other costs, etc. It all gets eaten up somewhere.

That $12.2 million is an increase from $7.4 million in 2000-01 according to another DRC article from 9/8/05.  That particular article was recently posted by "MeanGreen 61" so I won't repost it.

Now am I to believe that all $5 million went to the new athletics facility or has the cost of travel increased that much in 5 years?  The coaches sure as hell aren't seeing any drastic pay increases.

That $12.2 million number is just barely more than the BCS schools get each years for the bowl agreement. And they wonder why non-BCS schools seem to be less and less competitive against the the "big schools". mad.gif

A considerable amount of money may have indeed went into the logo........but I don't think much (if any) came from the athletic budget. 

Well, no matter how much money the other "big" schools make, they still ask their alumni for their contribution.

Alumni contributions are the only way for us to grow.  We have seen a comeback in student pride over the last few years.  I am hoping that in a few more years when the group that graduated from 2000-2005 will begin recieving some paychecks that pay them enough that they can spare some for their school's athletic department.

Well said! We need an alumni base that is happy to give as much as they can. No one should be reluctant to financially support the University, like we are doing the school some kind of favor. Financial support is about legacy, and the value of a degree. I am happy to give what I can in appreciation for the good fortunes MY UNT degree has brought me. If the alumni step up and meets the financial needs of the athletic program, our desire for a winning program can be achieved.

"ASK NOT WHAT THE MEAN GREEN CAN DO FOR YOU; ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE MEAN GREEN!

Edited by Black Scholes