Is it just me or

HoustonEagle

In between brokering energy trades (otherwise known as work). I like to read some gomeangreen.com. Seems lately the board has been pretty quiet. Do any of you feel like there is less enthusiasm going into this season? Or is it just me?

BTW: September delivery (not to mention the entire forward curve) is trading at its all time highs for Power, Nat. Gas, and Crude. Once again gasoline inventories did not meet analyst estimates in today's EIA report. Why do I tell you this? Well, If you are trying to decide between the Suburban or the Sedan may I suggest you take another look at the Sedan. High energy prices are here to stay.

Ok, I will quit rambling.

Go Mean Green.

Edited by HoustonEagle

BTW: September delivery (not to mention the entire forward curve) is trading at its all time highs for Power, Nat. Gas, and Crude.  Once again gasoline inventories did not meet analyst estimates in today's EIA report.  Why do I tell you this?  Well, If you are trying to decide between the Suburban or the Sedan may I suggest you take another look at the Sedan.  High energy prices are here to stay.

dry.gifmad.gifdry.gifmad.gif

I think last year's beat down cooled a lot jets when it comes to hyping the team to a BCS power. I just wish we didn't have to play those types of games anymore, and schedule someone we could actually defeat ... like Buffalo, UCF, or pick'em directional Michigan U.

I think last year's beat down cooled a lot jets when it comes to hyping the team to a BCS power.  I just wish we didn't have to play those types of games anymore, and schedule someone we could actually defeat ... like Buffalo, UCF, or pick'em directional Michigan U.

I agree to a point. Unfortunately, we need the money, so we have to play a couple of money games. I just wish it was with the bottom haf of the top 25 as opposed to the top. That may be hard to do when you are scheduling several years out. Also I think our kids want to play some top competition in front of a big audience. Some big names on the schedule has to help with recuiting. But, again why do we always seem to be playing top 10 compeition?

Why is it slow? We can't bash Dickey yet because the LSU game is not here and gone. Don't worry, there will be plenty to talk about in 8 or 9 days. Speculation about if we going to even be good enough to beat the MUTS, etc... But after the 65-0 thrashing we took at UT last year, nobody wants to put their heart into this game - so our season starts with most of our fans the next week at the MUTS.

BTW, the guy that owns the gas station up the road from me told me that gas will peak at $2.99 a gallon by the end of the summer - and probably drop a little in the Fall before going back to that price of about $3.00 a gallon - where it will stay. So I would agree, if you are looking at a car - find one that gets at least 25 MPG and above. As it is, the places only charging $2.59 are basically breaking even right now. They are hoping to make their money on the cokes, chips, and ciggies... and breaking even on the gas. The guys that are charging more then that most likely had the a remodel done by their mother gas company (i.e. Texaco/Mobil/Exxon/etc..) and get charged more per gallon to finance out the remodeling costs... OR they are just trying to make a profit still. Most have just conceded that gas will be a "push" and make their money off of the convenient store items.

BTW, the guy that owns the gas station up the road from me told me that gas will peak at $2.99 a gallon by the end of the summer - and probably drop a little in the Fall before going back to that price of about $3.00 a gallon - where it will stay.

ohmy.gif

getting....closer.....to....jumping....off...a....cliff...

But after the 65-0 thrashing we took at UT last year, nobody wants to put their heart into this game - so our season starts with most of our fans the next week at the MUTS.

My thoughts exactly. If we pull an upset, great. It is very unlikely we will because of the style of ball Dickey employs. It is hard to upset a team like LSU without a tricked up offense. Not having a tricked up offense for high caliber BCS teams is ok by me as long as it works for the Sun Belt, La. Tech's and Tulsa's of the world.

I think Dickey is very shrewd in what he is doing. I am aware of our lack of OOC success. I still believe we are recruiting better athletes and truly building a better PROGRAM. It takes time and I see progress. I think we have seen success in recruiting because of our success in the Sun Belt. Throw in the improvement in facilities (which will be another 4 year process) and we will see what that has done for us. I absolutely loved this last recruiting class.

Do I think we will see the same style of football being played in another 3 years? No. Why? We will continue to improve as a program and have the athletes to better execute an offense that 1) Still dominates the Belt or competitive in CUSA and 2) competes better with some BCS teams.

There are those that point to the success that Hayden Fry had but that was 30 years ago and the landscape of college football has changed drastically. What applied then does not necessarily apply now.

So I ask you this: Are we better off than four years ago?

Yes, we are better off than we were four years ago.

To recruit the QB's that come from a high school passing offense, we are going to have to change our offense first. Until then we will continue to gather the attention of the QB's from running schools that have potential and need grooming and tutelage in the mechanics of throwing the ball.

Edited by UNTLifer

Yes, we are better off than we were four years ago.

To recruit the QB's that come from a high school passing offense, we are going to have to change our offense first. Until then we will continue to gather the attention of the QB's from running schools that have potential and need grooming and tutelage in the mechanics of throwing the ball.

Sometimes that isnt all bad, lets just look at the TWO best QB's in the state right now. Vince Young and Reggie McNeal, both came from programs that used the QB to run the ball, and both were considered project when it came to passing the ball, I dont know but i doubt either Texas or Texes A&M would complain with their current situation.

But after the 65-0 thrashing we took at UT last year, nobody wants to put their heart into this game - so our season starts with most of our fans the next week at the MUTS.

Absolutely well said.

As for getting a great QB recruit in here with a run-based offense, I pretty much agree that it is a self-sustaining issue for us. But it's also a which-comes-first-chicken-or-egg issue too..... if we do happen to get a great passer, surely our offense would adapt to make the most of his talents.

Sometimes that isnt all bad, lets just look at the TWO best QB's in the state right now.  Vince Young and Reggie McNeal, both came from programs that used the QB to run the ball, and both were considered project when it came to passing the ball, I dont know but i doubt either Texas or Texes A&M would complain with their current situation.

True, but of course UT and A&M throw the ball more than 12 times a game.

Let's use this example based on an offense having 60 plays a game.

I'm a HS QB being recruited by two schools. School one throws the ball twelve times a game and runs it 48, while school two throws the ball 25 times a game and runs it 35. My first choice is always school one. I want to win, but I also want to play my position. Handing the ball off 85% of the time is not enticing to me.

I'm not advocating throwing it around like TTech, just balance out the offense.

Remind me, how many conference championships has our running-based offense won under Dickey? Oh yea, FOUR!

How many did NT win in the previous years? Less than 4? More than 4? I really don't know, but I do know that running the ball = Winning Conference championships.