Joey Byerly not eligible for 2005 Season!

talking about after all when I ran into him at the horse races. I cant believe some of you thought he wouldnt know the inside scoop, he is still very involved with the program. For all the summer school researchers, keep doing whatever research you do and let us know when the under water basket weaving course lets out.

Go Mean Green!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

andrewrozell Posted: Jul 11 2005, 06:32 PM

I just ran into the Johnny at Subway and talked to him about Byerly. He told me that Byerly is ineligible and that Meager is slow to get to full strength. He joked and asked if I had any years left and I told him I couldn't throw... he responded and said that I didn't need an arm, just be able to hand off. Poor guy. After talking to him while in line, he is really a good guy and it sucks that he can't have a QB. He did however reassure me that he will be here two more years for sure!

on a side note he also said the team won't practice much on the turf before Tulsa...

thoughts & opinions?

--------------------

GLORY TO THE GREEN!

Guest e-bone

It seems that the only way that ANYONE would know if Byerly was ineligible would be if they knew he was not going to his classes this summer and not taking tests or anything. Otherwise it is impossible to know before the grades actually came out, unless Scott Hall is his professor in the classes he takes.

Am I missing something here?

It seems that the only way that ANYONE would know if Byerly was ineligible would be if they knew he was not going to his classes this summer and not taking tests or anything. Otherwise it is impossible to know before the grades actually came out, unless Scott Hall is his professor in the classes he takes.

Am I missing something here?

Well, he does have an engineering degree.. wink.gif

And... he did stay at a holiday inn express...

Edited by Stan R

It is more complicated than just taking summer school. The classes he needs to become eligible may not be offered (not sure, just a possibility). There are some tricks that can be played with changing degree planns & other creative thinking. The point is, it may not be only grade point average holding him back. Also, I believe the NCAA has some restrictions on taking to many B.S. courses in the summer just to boost GPA. Not to long ago, when I played, we would know which players that had no chance to become eligible at the end of spring. North Texas would not announce it until they had to. Some sort of politics. If he could just take 3 or 4 B.S. classes (basket weaving, golf, etc...) to boost GPA, than his eligibility would be of no queston. Obviously, there is more to his situation that we all know. Point is, the players normally know whats up way before it is released to the media.

does anyone else think this is a good thing? it will force the coaches to choose a starter from the beginning. the team will not have to "pick a favorite" or anything and they will just be able to focus on how they will be able to succeed with the individual who IS going to be the starter. i don't really care if byerly is eligible or ineligible, but just that the coaches know by now (which with summer I grades out already, they'll have a pretty good idea) and can move on.

Coaches will have to have a starter and I would bet it's Cullen Mills for LSU. Knows the system, good HS credentials, just hasn't got game opportunity. Better to throw him to the Tigers ( LSU will be a VERY UGLY game) than a gimpy Meager and if Cullen is still standing after LSU then Meager should be healed by MTSU and it's a 2 horse race for 2005. Where there is smoke there is fire and with players saying Byerly is gone you can pretty well write him off for 2005.

Coaches will have to have a starter and I would bet it's Cullen Mills for LSU. Knows the system, good HS credentials, just hasn't got game opportunity. Better to throw him to the Tigers ( LSU will be a VERY UGLY game) than a gimpy Meager and if Cullen is still standing after LSU then Meager should be healed by MTSU and it's a 2 horse race for 2005. Where there is smoke there is fire and with players saying Byerly is gone you can pretty well write him off for 2005.

From the media guide - Cullen Mills, 6'3, 218. Red-shirted in 2002. No game action in 2003.

Honorable mention all-state QB junior & senior year. As a junior threw for 2,147 yards and 17 TDs while leading a first year varsity school to the playoffs & a 10 win season. As a senior threw for 1,995 yards and 20 TDs. Lettered in basketball, baseball & golf.