What Mean Green Record Will Not Be Broken

Eagle-96

I purposely left out the 97 points against Dallas Baptist because that would run away with the poll.

1. 11 sacks in one game is unreal. I don't know how any player can be that dominant in a game. Hardman did it on homecoming 1969 against Tulsa. The NCAA record for a game is listed as 5 which apparently means that sacks were not a recognized statistic by the NCAA in 1969.

2. DD is nowhere close to the total that Mitchell had. DD is 5th on the NT all-time list and he will be long gone before he approaches 122.

3. Jamario is a special player and I could have chosen any number of his records. I just think that his 6 200 yard games(NCAA record) as a freshman will be hardest to beat. 1801 yards as a freshman was a close 2nd.

4. Andy's record could be broken, but the player would have to play in every game starting his freshman year(12 games per year) and we would also have to appear in at least 2 bowl games during that span.

5. 2.6 points per game allowed is a monstor stat plain and simple.

Edited by Eagle-96

---Odis Mitchel's wins. Coaches don't stay put long anymore, especially at schools that aren't top tier such as Bowden at Florida State.... plus coaches that are very successful for a rather long period are sought after by higher paying schools. On the flip side in todays world alums are not happy with 6-7 wins per year either so those guys could not hang around long enough to get that many wins either.

RE----The sacks---- I guess it helped a lot that Joe Greene was playing beside him (Cedric Hardeman) and how does anyone stop both of them.... impossible task. Wonder how many Joe G. got that day.....poor QB.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

RE----The sacks---- I guess it helped a lot that Joe Greene was playing beside him  (Cedric Hardeman) and how does anyone stop both of them.... impossible task.  Wonder how many  Joe G. got that day.....poor QB.

We owe Greene's talents to "Old Speedy":

The hard-charging possessor of 66 quarterback sacks, Greene still insists that he's a "pussycat," that his dishing out pain was an acquired skill, not the stuff of a natural-born intimidator. "All players have to learn how to be cold-blooded--an aggressive streak comes from education and motivation. He has to evolve, be cultivated."

Greene's own education began with "Old Speedy," one of his Dunbar High classmates while growing up in Temple, Texas. This older boy regularly bullied Greene, humiliated him in fights, and one night, crept into Greene's house and stole $5 from his mother, Cleo. "I can still hear him say, 'Yeah, I took it. What are you going to do about it?' " recalls Greene.

At the time, Cleo was struggling to take care of four children (Greene's father had abandoned the family), and she pleaded with her son to stay out of trouble. But Speedy's taunts enraged Greene, and overcoming his fear of the bully, he took matters into his own hands.

"I mopped the floor with him, I gave him a really good beating," insists Greene, zealously. "That fight, when I was in the ninth grade, got me over the hump. I went from average football player to good player. I was able to find myself as a man after that fight."

Brawling with football opponents became a constant for Greene, who concedes, "I guess I could've been really nasty in a losing situation."

Apart from his aggressive nature, the six-foot-four Greene possessed the dedication, savvy, and raging spirit every college football coach covets. An agile pass rusher able to slash through blockers, he was scouted by numerous schools before winding up at North Texas State University in 1965. Wearing green uniforms, the football squad was dubbed the Mean Green. The team was even more ferocious during Greene's years, going 23-5-1. But Greene acquired more than a reputation for flattening quarterbacks. Attending numerous Cowboys games in nearby Dallas, he discovered a hero who would serve as a model for his future style of play.

"Getting off the ball, bam, the explosive quickness and charge, that's what fascinated me about the Cowboys' Bob Lilly," marvels Greene. "This guy came at you, so quick off the snap. I tailored my whole game to be like him."

2 of those will never be broken.

2.6 points/game will take a really good defense. I doubt any team at any level could do that today.

6 200 yard games by a Freshmen...freshmen usually get redshirted in the first year. Those that are good enough to play, it is hard for a senior RB Heisman Trophy candidate to get 200/gm all season.