We Win

El Paso Eagle

Very exciting game. We came out red hot and looked like we were going to blow NMSU out, but after Simpson and Hines went out for a breather NMSU jumped back in it. We had another stretch in the second half when we were playing lights out, but then cooled off and let NMSU make the score a little closer. In certain stretches we looked like we could beat anyone in the Belt, and then at other stretches we looked like we could get beat by any team in the Belt. A little more consistency and we easily could have won by twice or three times the final margain of difference.

Simpson continued to show that he is the best post player we have. He plays defense like a mad man, and not just on his guy. His help defense is great, and he made a couple of incredible blocks tonight. He made NMSU's 6'11" post a complete non factor while in the game. Hopkins shot the ball better, and Watson was knocking them down in the first half. I believe that if we are going to win the Sun Belt tournament we will need Watson to be on the whole tourny. Sturns came in and hit a couple of big 3s in a row that pretty much sealed the deal when NMSU was trying to get back into it.

Exclude Shawnson Johnson, and Simpson's peformance tonight was as good as I have seen by a Mean Green center in a long time, maybe since I have been following the team. If he can play like that, we have a chance against anyone.

Isaac Hines was simply awesome once again. He is so steady with the ball against any pressure, and tough inside.

We did the two big things that were discussed in the thread from before the game today, we were aggressive on the boards and shot well. The defense really stepped up too, NMSU was held to 2-19 from three.

Classy move by the team to come around and slap hands with the fans.

Link to boxscore.

44-28 advantage in rebounds is outstanding. 19 turnovers is not good however. Even after a win there is always room for improvement.

Attendance of 3,500 is great. Many of them were there for the charity game beforehand, but that is still a good attendance figure. Hopefully many of those people had a fun time and will come back out and attend some more games. NMSU brought a surprising number of people. Hopefully they will bring a lot to the conference tournament too.

Isaac Hines was simply awesome once again.  He is so steady with the ball against any pressure, and tough inside.

I believe that Hank said tonight, that Isaac only has 27 turnovers for the season. For a point guard, that is 20 games into the season.....that is phenomenal.

I'll be honest...Pit Crew wasn't on their game tonight. Half of us are sick as hell and the rest are recovering from the Bob Schneider concert last night.

Still a fun game, a few scary moments when the Aggies were building momentum...

Loved when the bank president in the halftime shootout was wearing a Long-whorns jacket and we gave him hell for it.

Loved when the bank president in the halftime shootout was wearing a Long-whorns jacket and we gave him hell for it.

I loved that too. If we are gonna call where we play the Pit, it needs to be a rough place to shoot for anybody in opposing colors, including bank presidents.

It was real nice to see them just come out running like they did last night....Simpson second dunk on the night was ridiculous...he caught the ball about a step and a half to far under the basket...jumped straight up and pulled it way back and threw it down with some force....That kid is gettin it....he is playing big...I would like to see Him and Barnett on the floor at the same time....Call me a Barnett Buddy for Life if u want but JB is one of the better floor defensemen we have....I know many of you watch games and see stuff happen that looks like it is his fault but if u know how the zone works we run you would know he is doing his job....Enough on that....

Jaydub we were alittle off last night...but my voice is GONE! Had fun ribbing the Two Firsts Name Guy last night....They were good sports about it....well all of them expect Mike Mitchell...he told us where to go a few times but others were talking back....Its getting Fun!!!

Lets hope that game last night brought this team back together and we are heading towards a big run to finish this year!

I loved that too. If we are gonna call where we play the Pit, it needs to be a rough place to shoot for anybody in opposing colors, including bank presidents.

Why would he even think of coming to a UNT game, knowing he'd be on the court, in a Whorn jacket? Ban 'em! tongue.gif

Why would he even think of coming to a UNT game, knowing he'd be on the court, in a Whorn jacket?   Ban 'em!  tongue.gif

Oh, this guy even gave us the "Hook'em Horns" when we started booing him.

Mandy McKinley and the Pit staff scrambled to get him a Mean Green shirt to put over his Whorns jacket. I don't know what bank he's from, and it's not like I plan on changing banks or anything...but hey, the guy lost a potential customer in me with his elitist attitude and his nasty ass orange jacket.

Oh, yeah...he made NONE of his shots.

Edited by JayDub

I wish I knew who he was and what bank; I would make it well known to his boss WHY I was taking my business elsewhere! tongue.gif

I can't remember which bank it was, but I know it wasn't Point Bank or Bank One. The Bank One guy won I believe, and the Point Bank guy had Point Bank written all over him and his Point Bank Cape.... rolleyes.gif