My Starting Line-up

GangGreen

Yeah, I'd like to see Barnett and Simpson on the court, at the same time, too.

My only possible change to your line-up:

Ty Thomas has played great lately, while C Wat has slumped. I might insert Ty into the starting line-up just to shake things up. (JJ did start Ty in New Orleans--because Calvin had a bum ankle....and Ty played very well).

Point - Hines

Wing - Hopkins

Wing - Watson

Forward - Williams

Forward - Simpson

This is what JJ has been going with lately, but I put in Williams over Jones. I think Mike Jones is very talented, but here is my logic. He is constantly in foul trouble, as in almost every game. You know that the opposing teams know he is foul prone and go right at him. That may seem like a potential benefit for NT because of his quickness in stealing the ball, but he is playing out of position at the 4, and he helps them out by taking the gamble too often and at the wrong times and commiting the silly fouls. He is much more comfortable facing the basket on offense as well. So this is not necessarily a "benching" of him, it's a move back to a more natural position and save his minutes for times when offense is needed instead of turning to a Ron Harris at those times because Jones is in foul trouble.

As far as putting Williams and Simpson in over Barnett down low, that is not a slight to Barnett. I think Williams and especially Simpson have shown so much more than most of us thought they had while Barnett was out. Simpson is the best defender in the post on this team, and Williams is talented and the offense continues to run smoothly when it goes to him because he sees the floor so well. Barnett would be needed for big minutes late in the halves when the opposing posts might be wearing down, he can bring some energy and make things happen on defense. Also, Williams is a freshman and gets into foul trouble himself, so Barnett and even Harris could see more minutes in that scenario.

I will take it one step further and go with my primary reserves at each position:

PG - Mitchell

SG - Thomas/Sturns

SF - Jones/Sturns

PF - Barnett/Harris

C - Barnett

If you have read my posts in the past, I was very down on MM, and how could you not be last season with that shooting? This season, he is MUCH more in control and still playing great on the ball defense. I used to be scared of him bringing the ball up, but he seems like a safer option there than Sturns at this point. That is why I have Sturns at the wing, I just think right now that's where he needs to be. He is overwhelmed often at the point, and he needs more practice time there before receiving critical minutes there in league play. Putting him at the wing would still utilize his amazing athletic ability and defense. Thomas has improved his shooting touch light years this season, and is a better defensive option at the off guard than Watson or Hopkins, ideal for man to man pressure.

Good topic!

Edited by Coach

Oh, I'm excited as hell about him. I also think that he could become a great point with his size and ability. But right now, we have Hines there and he is a rock. Like I said, I like Mitchell's defense there too, and he is in more control.

Sturns seemed to take a step back from the scrimmages early in the season, but has since taken more steps toward making a consistent contribution. I just feel that right now, in Sun Belt play, games crucial to the team's seeding and postseason chances, he is best to get most of his minutes at a wing position, because we need him out there to make plays. I'm not opposed to seeing him get time at the point, but not critical or lengthy minutes at this point in his development.

Making the jump to D1 is tough enough, and so is changing positions, but the toughest one to master is point guard, and I honestly think he will get there, right now the majority of his minutes would benefit the team more on a wing position.

This is all IMHO of course, but it's fun to talk about. There aren't honest to goodness actual football/basketball threads very often.

Edited by Coach

I agree that Sturns has had mucho trouble at the point. I think the wing is just a better place for him at this point in his career. Unfortunatly we have to have someone bring the ball up when Hines is out, so he will see some minutes there whether we like it or not.

I was incredibly high on Williams about a month ago. Then what happened?! He suddenly didn't seem very comfortable out there and Johnny cut down his minutes quickly after that. As of late, Simpson appears to be the best man we have down low.

We have the ol' 3 headed monster at center. 1.Williams 2. Simpson 3. Barnett

I think that Sturns, after playing well in the first few games got a little too full of himself. Looks like he assumed it would just be that easy night in and night out, and he has realized that he has to continue to grow if he wants to be a positve contributor to this team. I think that tomorrow night you will see a lot of Simpson and Barnett on the floor at the same time. Watson probably won't get a start tomorrow night, and I wouldn't be suprised if Jones didn't start either.

LL is a smaller team, that attacks the basket, and loves to get offensive boards. JJ might try to outpower them with size and get the best rebounders on the floor at the same time. LL likes to get out and run the break too, so if you try to go big and don't control the glass then they will run all over you.

Coach, I agree that moving Jones to the 3 would be a much better fit for him. But, Williams instead of Barnett?

Quincy is shooting 19% from the floor inleague play. Justin is at 62% for the season. Our guards and wingmen have been shooting so poorly, some sort of threat on the inside could open up better shots for them.

Hopkins is shooting 32% in conference. wacko.gif

Point - Hines

Wing - Hopkins

Wing - Watson

Forward - Williams

Forward - Simpson

This is what JJ has been going with lately, but I put in Williams over Jones.  I think Mike Jones is very talented, but here is my logic.  He is constantly in foul trouble, as in almost every game.  You know that the opposing teams know he is foul prone and go right at him.  That may seem like a potential benefit for NT because of his quickness in stealing the ball, but he is playing out of position at the 4, and he helps them out by taking the gamble too often and at the wrong times and commiting the silly fouls.  He is much more comfortable facing the basket on offense as well.  So this is not necessarily a "benching" of him, it's a move back to a more natural position and save his minutes for times when offense is needed instead of turning to a Ron Harris at those times because Jones is in foul trouble.

That is how I feel too. Jones was excellent last year when he was able to face the basket. He is a streaky shooter from the outside, but whenever he is on there is no way some 6'3" guy can stop him. Jones can also come in at the 4 when we are looking to press and want to play more uptempo.

Simpson has shown he is a force on defense, but also can score the ball in the post too. Quincy is very talented and is good on offense, and he can play defense and block some shots as well.

Barnett is good off the bench because when the other team is tired the last thing they want is someone as big as Barnett coming in to pound them. Last season when he came off the bench he brought good energy, and I think that is a good role for him. I like this team when has an athletic group on the court and pushes the ball, and both Simpson and Quincy are athletic enough to run.