Schottenheimer blew it (Chargers game)

I didn't see the whole game, as I was back in the computer room....listening to the UNT hoops game. But, I did see the overtime of the Jets-Chargers game, and Marty Schottenheimer did something that a lot of NFL coaches do---he got conservative at the wrong time.

The Chargers had the ball on the Jets 22 (or so), and instead of trying to pass or do anything to make it more of a chip shot field goal (to win the game)......he hands off to LT three times, proceeds to lose a yard, and forces his rookie kicker to try a 39-40 yard field goal (on a wet field).

Why do coaches think that a 39-40 field goal is a gimme. I see it all the time (in the NFL)....get into field goal range......and do nothing else out of fear that an interception might happen......blah, blah, blah.

I didn't really have a favorite team in this game....but I do think Schottenheimer was an idiot to not to try and make the game winning field goal a little more "chip shot" length..... if you will.

In his defense, before that series of downs, I was thinking. "give it to LT three times and let him do his thing". That didn't work out, and LT only got a few yards, but had he broken one for 10-15 yards...which he is the best back in the NFL and it's not a reach...it would look like a genius move.

The only other play I would have considered there was a safe route to Gates, but if Brees throws an interception there, you would REALLY be calling him an idiot.

That was just a good game that could have gone either way. I didn't see the 15 yard penalty Marty S. got, but it sounds like that was more bonehead than the plays he called in OT.

but if Brees throws an interception there, you would REALLY be calling him an idiot.

No, I wouldn't. I thought when he got there, he should have thrown. Coaches like him, get way too conservative once they get in field goal range. The percentage of missed field goals (especially 40 yarders) is a lot higher than the percentage of passes that are intercepted.

So some might have called him an idiot for trying to make it an easier field goal. I wouldn't have.