Zook vs. DD

shaft

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of annoying my brother-in-law ( biggrin.gif ) and making this thread any longer.....

Although I'm not entirely happy with DD, I think Zook is a stupid choice. Although he's known as a good recruiter, and really didn't do that badly with Florida (except give up the lead several times) he's got a problem controlling himself. If you read the stories on him, one of the major reasons he was fired was b/c of an altercation at a frat party. Now..... my first question is why he would want to go to a frat party in the first place. My second question is if you can't control yourself, then how can you control a team? We have enough discipline problems on our team without bringing in a coach who needs to be babysat.

Ok, enough of this post. Just had to throw in my 2 cents.

What's 3-0 make you think?

That our rivals in the Sun Belt are weaker than I thought. At this point in the season, given our performance, I think our chances of winning another New Orleans Bowl against a decent OOC team are slim.

I'm not a Dickey basher. I'm not unhappy with being in the Belt. But let's not kid ourselves about this year's team.

If you read the stories on him, one of the major reasons he was fired was b/c of an altercation at a frat party. Now..... my first question is why he would want to go to a frat party in the first place.

Did you read any of those stories? Here's one. The Florida AD, Jeremy Foley, told Zook to go to the fraternity to "avert a possible altercation between a group of football players and fraternity members."

Sounds like he didn't handle it very well, but he's not like that Iowa basketball coach who was partying hard with students.

Yup, Zook screwed up while he was on the hot seat, but the fact is he's been on the hot seat from day one.

Dickey is a great fit at UNT, because he can work with the type of recruits UNT gets. And while it has taken him a while, he's been able to improve the types of recruits UNT gets.

And as far as this SBC's weak arguement goes; nearly every college sports authority would tell you this has been the SBC's strongest year. 3-0 shows that UNT has an edge and has been able to keep it.

Did you read any of those stories? Here's one. The Florida AD, Jeremy Foley, told Zook to go to the fraternity to "avert a possible altercation between a group of football players and fraternity members."

Sounds like he didn't handle it very well, but he's not like that Iowa basketball coach who was partying hard with students.

Yes, I did read that story. And to follow that up, Zook later recanted his statement, saying that he was more involved than he previously admitted.

Edited by untgirl04

Don't fool yourselves with the frat house story. Zook was canned because of constant pressure and calls for his head. Spurier is/was available, so the Admin looked for the first reason it could to dump Zook and make room for Spurier.

No offense to all the posters on this thread, but can we just let this one die? I worked with the Florida program when he was there the first time. Zook is a bit on the moronic side when it comes to personality (but then again, so is Spurrier!). We don't want him. I think it's best (especially at mid-season) to totally support DD warts and all. If a better offer comes along for him in the off-season, then we can talk!

Honestly, reading this thread makes me forget which message board I am reading!! blink.gif