Week 8 TV Ratings

MCMLXXX

2 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

TV ratings don't happen in a vacuum. Other games happening at the same time will pull away casual fans just looking to see what is on. At the same time as our game there was Alabama/Tennessee, Texas/Houston, Minnesota/Iowa, Wazzu/Oregon, and Okie State/West Virginia. Plus, we are on ESPU2 which only available in about 2/3 the homes as ESPN. 

Yes, we need to be doing better in rating. But frankly, we should be doing better in home attendance which will ultimately hope build the program more. 

Did you mean to say we were on ESPNU or ESPN2? Because we were definitely on ESPN2, which is the more widely available between those. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Did you mean to say we were on ESPNU or ESPN2? Because we were definitely on ESPN2, which is the more widely available between those. 

Sorry, I meant 2. It's ESPN, big drop to 2, another drop not quite so big to ESPN News, then U right behind News. It's possible with the drop in total ESPN subscribers U and News flipped places.

We should be drawing better, but 2 is almost always significantly less the ESPN. Last week the highest rated game on 2 was TCU with 400+ K. 

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Sorry, I meant 2. It's ESPN, big drop to 2, another drop not quite so big to ESPN News, then U right behind News. It's possible with the drop in total ESPN subscribers U and News flipped places.

We should be drawing better, but 2 is almost always significantly less the ESPN. Last week the highest rated game on 2 was TCU with 400+ K. 

Interesting about the 2/3 thing. I thought ESPN and 2 were always packaged together. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/25/2023 at 7:04 PM, MrAlien said:

Our problem is branding and lack of sports culture on campus.  The student turn out is terrible, and the student body is larger then it has ever been.  Its not because the team isnt winning, I remember plenty of bad seasons where student turn out was still good.  there is no social culture for students when it comes to game day. 

I think this is it. Socialization of UNT football as being the thing you do on Saturdays does not exist in the student body, nor the greater community. Now, we have to compete for attention with the Netflixs. We are losing the spectacle of the event- the watch parties, the tailgate, the camaraderie, the sheer decadence that is American football culture, the FOMO (feeling of missing out). These are aspects that require organic growth. This starts and ends with P2P (person to person)  interactions that occur everyday.

If it wasn’t for this forum and living in the college football capital of Atlanta, I would not care about UNT football half as much as I do. I find it hard to interact with the brand outside of Denton. We have to support B2P (brand to people) dissemination. Incentivize interactions by providing recognition and resources. A good example was the student organization recognition and supporting their tailgate for the next game as a reward for turnout. 

I see help being offered inside the stadium. I want to congratulate the athletics team on moving the needle on fan experience in a fresh new season. Personally, I’ve had a great experience talking with our ticketing team and staff. And our home game a while back was a kick with my friends from other schools who needed plenty of help by staffers haha.

But my interactions with the fan community has been meh at events. My friends from UNT never engage with the university. As a younger grad with club tickets, I kinda feel out of place up there. But the tickets are so comfortable and affordable. I mean the 25 year old non traditional student, Asian, single male segment of the UNT base is *booming* up there lol. I fly in every month for work and to see friends, but I’m losing interest in going to Denton. However, all the engagement is centered around being in Denton. Man, UNT Football kinda sounds like my ex… I should call her. 

• Upvote 1