Breaking: North Texas Hires Special Teams Guru Svoboda From Alabama

TheReal_jayD

33 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Svoboda was demoted from Special Teams Coordinator to an off the field assistant. I'm not saying it's a bad hire. They obviously valued having him around. If not, they would have cut ties immediately. Coleman Hutzler was the special teams coordinator that Alabama hired away from Ole Miss to replace Svoboda. From what I read on another forum, they liked having Svoboda on staff for his Texas HS ties.

Well (once again sounding skeptical) demoting someone from an actual coaching position to "having him around for his Texas connections" sounds pretty tenuous to me. Especially in the world of big-time coaching staffs. The first time he doesn't appear to be any help with a hot prospect from Texas that Bama is really going after, he immediately becomes the sacrificial lamb for that recruiting failure. Because the HC of Alabama certainly isn't going to take the hit.

Having said all that, his coaching skills in special teams vs the guy that replaced him might be minuscule by most program's standards. But not so in the "pro" level of college football.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Svoboda was demoted from Special Teams Coordinator to an off the field assistant. I'm not saying it's a bad hire. They obviously valued having him around. If not, they would have cut ties immediately. Coleman Hutzler was the special teams coordinator that Alabama hired away from Ole Miss to replace Svoboda. From what I read on another forum, they liked having Svoboda on staff for his Texas HS ties.

That's the story 'Bama is going with so they don't have to admit we stole their STC.

200.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:30 AM, jtm0097 said:

This is typical Saban style. He added another layer to the Special Teams equation with the addition of Hutzler. Coach Svoboda was still responsible for the weekly ST game plans for Alabama. This is an awesome hire for Morris and UNT!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1