WBB vs. Georgetown (12/21/2022)

UNTLifer

Maybe it's me, but do great players not make great coaches? Hear me out. Jordan, Magic, etc don't tend to be great coaches although they were great players. On the other hand Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and our very own Grant McCasland were bit players or role players, but nowhere near great. Maybe it's because the greats were so good at what they did, they don't understand when others cannot do the same and don't know how to coach people to be great. I heard the late Prince once say that he thought everyone could play music. He probably thought that because it came to him naturally, yet there are no stories of him training musicians. Only stories of him creating music for people who could already play. Jalie was great while she was here, but she can't seem to get her players to perform at her level. Even in football. How many of the Superbowl winning coaches would make it to the hall on their playing abilities? Most were bit players or backups. Same way in college. All I am saying is maybe there is something there and maybe that is Jalie's problem. I want her to be a great coach because she is one of us, but she just can't get over the hump.

Edited by Venson
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Venson said:

Maybe it's me, but do great players not make great coaches? Hear me out. Jordan, Magic, etc don't tend to be great coaches although they were great players. On the other hand Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, and our very own Grant McCasland were bit players or role players, but nowhere near great. Maybe it's because the greats were so good at what they did, they don't understand when others cannot do the same and don't know how to coach people to be great. I heard the late Prince once say that he thought everyone could play music. He probably thought that because it came to him naturally, yet there are no stories of him training musicians. Only stories of him creating music for people who could already play. Jalie was great while she was here, but she can't seem to get her players to perform at her level. Even in football. How many of the Superbowl winning coaches would make it to the hall on their playing abilities? Most were bit players or backups. Same way in college. All I am saying is maybe there is something there and maybe that is Jalie's problem. I want her to be a great coach because she is one of us, but she just can't get over the hump.

Ted Williams was a great example, he just could not understand why the majority of ballplayers could not play like him.  

Maybe the greatest baseball player of all times, but could not coach.  

Not comparing Williams and Mitchell, but Mitchell seems to recruit well; but IMO is a very questionable coach.   The team just continues to make bad decisions and thus far is not even competitive with good teams.  

• Upvote 2

Larry Bird was the exception that proves the rule.  He was a great coach too (though only for three seasons...I remember reading one of his books and he said he quit after the third season because when he played he started tuning coaches out after three years).  Hell, also a great executive...only player ever to win POTY, COTY, and EOTY.

Not to mention Hall of Fame player.