Player Retention - The other side

zenhuddy

Just thinking out loud - we have kicked around the Portal and the “pandora's box”’ it appears to be, and the next P box - NIL - so we have aired these two topics out pretty well   BUT 🤔

Something I’ve been pondering this week is what is Seth and his current staffs skill set on keeping key players? We made a late recovery with KD right but we did lose some good players too over the last couple yrs. What is the forums view on Retention?  I’m just can’t seem to get my balance on where we are at - kinda thinking probably no better skills on the portal or retention?  A Given - we will lose some to a P5/G5 school here and there, I get. 

I think sometimes it seems like Seth, Bennett and Co have good player relationships and other times they seem to be not communicating well - maybe its just me but thought this deserved some discussion! Losing 4 key starters is just as impactful as getting 4 good portal finds, in my book. 

Thoughts 🤔

30 minutes ago, zenhuddy said:

Just thinking out loud - we have kicked around the Portal and the “pandora's box”’ it appears to be, and the next P box - NIL - so we have aired these two topics out pretty well   BUT 🤔

Something I’ve been pondering this week is what is Seth and his current staffs skill set on keeping key players? We made a late recovery with KD right but we did lose some good players too over the last couple yrs. What is the forums view on Retention?  I’m just can’t seem to get my balance on where we are at - kinda thinking probably no better skills on the portal or retention?  A Given - we will lose some to a P5/G5 school here and there, I get. 

I think sometimes it seems like Seth, Bennett and Co have good player relationships and other times they seem to be not communicating well - maybe its just me but thought this deserved some discussion! Losing 4 key starters is just as impactful as getting 4 good portal finds, in my book. 

Thoughts 🤔

I think there are four types of players that go into the portal. 

1.  The career backup that can’t break the 2-deep, sees his eligibility running out and wants to play (anywhere).  
2.  The graduate that has 1 more year to play, wants to start grad school at a different school and would like to have a year paid for. 
3. The player who blows up and wants (or is told he needs) a “bigger stage” to show NFL scouts what he’s got. 
4. Other - all other player situations that don’t fall into the first 3 categories.  

I think the only one that’s a realistic target for retention is #4.  Once the first 3 get to the point where they seriously consider or enter the portal, have made up their minds and will be hard to turn around.  I realize that’s what happened with KD, but my guess is that was a unique situation.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, keith said:

1.  The career backup that can’t break the 2-deep, sees his eligibility running out and wants to play (anywhere).  
2.  The graduate that has 1 more year to play, wants to start grad school at a different school and would like to have a year paid for. 
3. The player who blows up and wants (or is told he needs) a “bigger stage” to show NFL scouts what he’s got. 
4. Other - all other player situations that don’t fall into the first 3 categories.  

I think the only one that’s a realistic target for retention is #4.  Once the first 3 get to the point where they seriously consider or enter the portal, have made up their minds and will be hard to turn around.  I realize that’s what happened with KD, but my guess is that was a unique situation.  

Astute analysis.

I do think Littrell (NT) did very well in the portal last year, instead of concentrating on P5 castoffs, they identified lower level players that could play in D1.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, keith said:

You rectify #3 by becoming the place that better players want to transfer TO.

The problem is this is a circular issue.  The good places attract the good players and continue to get better and the bad ones lose players.  You have to somehow break out of being in the "from" group.  That's one of the concerns with nUTSAck having success and it feeding the cycle.

• Upvote 1