Relection on Past/Future of UNT Football

Zeleny' Orel

Excellent analysis, @Zeleny' Orel. The team this year is no where near what anyone wants. Likewise, we're no where near the 1 win in a season team we were before Littrell took over. We are somewhere in the middle. If we hadn't lost six games in a row, likely there would not be as much angst among our fans. I'm glad I'm not the one trying to read the tea leaves. Coach Littrell has pull off a significant number of positives in the last six years. The same guy that got us to back to back nine win seasons for the first time EVER has a net losing record. When he got here, the standard of success would be to just get to a bowl game, any bowl game! Now, winning most of those is required. Make no mistake - even today's CUSA is far stronger than the SBC we left. And the AAC, even without Houston, Cincy and UCF is going to be far stronger than today's CUSA. A winning record is going to be tougher and tougher to achieve. 

The one thing that makes me feel positive is the guy making this decision is the one who started working toward conference realignment at LEAST 18 months before it started. A write "at least" because he had to have had things in the works before that to get approval to start when he did. Baker has shown he plans for the long term, not just one or two years. He showed that early when he kept Bedford because he couldn't get a replacement of the quality he wanted. He could have made a minor upgrade, but chose to wait and get a coach that was a huge upgrade. It has proven to be one of many excellent choices Baker has made. I trust him on the football coach decision as well. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

As a loyal and ardent UNT football and basketball fan for almost 55 years (season ticket holder, Mean Green Club/Mean Green Scholarship Fund donor at a level I could afford—not large, but consistent, Hub Club, etc.), I have seen the highs and lows in UNT athletics over those 55 years.  When you become older you start to reflect on the past more often.  I have also been thinking about the future of UNT football and hoping I will see a bright one for UNT while I am still here to enjoy it.

I see the move to the AAC as a pivotal point in the 55-year athletic history I have been a part of, second only to our move to 1-AA football and back to 1-A.  With this comes a huge decision that Wren Baker is charged with making and I do not envy him having to do so.  I am just a fan and don’t have insight into the “inner workings” of the athletic department, but, in my opinion, these are the questions Wren needs to answer today about our football program (maybe he already has)?

1.      Has Seth demonstrated that he can lead our football program successfully in the AAC?  I don’t see the next two games as the only answer to this question, but the “body of work” over the last 6 years in these areas---recruitment, motivation and development of athletes, game preparation and execution, hiring and management of staff, graduation rate, positive experience of athletes, and a positive perception of our program as an ethical one by our peers and the public.

2.      Is there a coach “on our radar” that we have a realistic chance to hiring this year that will be able to exceed at these things better than Seth?

3.      If it is determined that a change in coaches is needed, what effect will the monetary buyout have on our other goals and which is most important to our future success in the AAC---change in coaches or other goals?  Do we need to make a change this year or can we afford to wait until next year without harming our successful transition to the AAC?

4.      If it is determined that a change is not needed this year, what needs to be done next year to ensure our success in the AAC beginning in 2023, a higher level of competition than the CUSA?

Most of this has been discussed on the board before, but it seems we are putting a lot of emphasis on the last two games.  I believe Wren need to look at the bigger picture than just the results of the next two games, plus a possible bowl game, to make his decision  It will have a long-lasting effect on UNT athletics.  Looking back at decisions made the last 55 years validates this!

I have confidence that Wren will make the decision that is best for UNT.  I also hope President S. does not retire until we get established in the AAC.  If he does, then I certainly hope the BOR will carefully look at the attitude of candidates toward athletics.  We have a good administrative support system now, but that definitely has not been true in the past.  We need to keep that support going to have that bright future I hope for.

GO MEAN GREEEN!

Yup.