11-13-76—Florida State at UNT—It was Bobby Bowden’s 1’st Yr.—The Game was an official sellout until Winter storm hit Texas.

••• NT ticket manager & former SMU letterman (under Hayden Fry) one Wayne Ray during the week said the game had officially sold out.  Well, due to the snowstorm there would be many “no shows” from D-FW.  (I drove from Irving/Southlake area & it took me 1.5 hours to get to Denton).

•••At the 1:00 minute mark on the video timeline & in the press box was WFAA ABC Channel 8 sportscaster Ray Gaskin who is with Mean Green broadcaster Bill Mercer (who is still with us & in his 90’s).  

••• Must have been half a foot of snow on the field at old Fouts Field.  One of the national news networks (NBC?) shot some video at the UNT-FSU game showing the orange highway cones marking yard lines for the refs.

Post-game the Florida State Seminoles stayed on the field & had snowball fights.  It  was said to have been the first snow many of the Florida guys had ever been in. 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Hard to believe that Florida State went from a homecoming opponent for North Texas to a national football power.  Is it fair to say that Florida State has passed us by ?

One of several, greenjoe, & if we’re not careful........(never mind, we now have Wren Baker).😎

At the return game in Tallahassee I remember the MGRN Bill Mercer describing their fans jingling their car keys in honor of the Seminoles star running back one Larry(?) Keyes.  
FSU had even considered  dropping football a few years earlier—so did Miami.  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1

We stayed the whole game.  This is when I learned to take a sleeping bag and sit in it to watch the game.  It really wasn't that cold.  I also remember that 3 members of the band stayed and played at halftime.

It was great, except for the final score.