UNT Athletic Endowment?

Rice is making progress towards building a $100,000,000 athletic endowment. I know Wren has done many great things since taking over at UNT, but is this something on his radar? I'm sure he is aware of Rice's ambitions, but I'm wondering if we are currently working towards something similar at UNT, or if it is something we need to get in place too. $100 million is probably not a realistic goal, but a multi-million dollar athletic endowment would certainly benefit our athletic department both financially and in perception. Thoughts?

https://riceowls.com/documents/2019/4/7//Rice_Athletics_2019_2023_Strategic_Plan_WEB.pdf?id=8790

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, Hunter Green said:

Isn't that the purpose of the MGSF?

No. The fund directly pays for a fraction of athletic scholarships. The AD budget pays the rest. That is why they want more members, so that the scholarships are paid and the AD budget can spend on other things. 
An athletic endowment would be millions of dollars that we put in an investment fund and pay the scholarships off the interest. We are tens of millions away from considering that🚀

On 7/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Rice is making progress towards building a $100,000,000 athletic endowment. I know Wren has done many great things since taking over at UNT, but is this something on his radar? I'm sure he is aware of Rice's ambitions, but I'm wondering if we are currently working towards something similar at UNT, or if it is something we need to get in place too. $100 million is probably not a realistic goal, but a multi-million dollar athletic endowment would certainly benefit our athletic department both financially and in perception. Thoughts?

https://riceowls.com/documents/2019/4/7//Rice_Athletics_2019_2023_Strategic_Plan_WEB.pdf?id=8790

Rice has always had a nice endowment. They really have a few athletic fans who care about their Rice Owls, probably old ones from the SWC days. I think they know that they can compete at his level and they love that they always get UT on the schedule for home and home every year.

• Upvote 2