The Goodfellas just replayed the national ESPN Radio clip from last night's game when Shaq got his 5th foul. Brent Musberger said while KG was lining up to shoot a free throw, Ed Rush (I believe) came over to the scorers table and asked how many fouls Shaq had. Tim Legler said "I don't know why he would even want to know how many he had, that should be irrelevant, call what you see."

We all know that there is no way in hell Shaq will foul out at home in a series clinching game, but this proves it. WHY IN THE WORLD would the refs want/need to know how many fouls a player has? So that precious Shaq and Kobe won't foul out, that's why. Did you know that the NBA issues a laptop to each official and the office sends frequent emails to the refs? These games aren't fixed, but they are as damn close to being fixed as you can be. I watched "Miracle" instead of watching the game last night because I knew there was no way in hell Stern would let the Wolves back in the series. I didn't know if it would be as obvious as the 2002 West Finals Game 6, but I did notice that the Wolves got to the line a lot in the first half and FOUR times in the second. Did they suddenly start playing a different way? I doubt it. Did they suddenly run out of fouls to call on Shaq? Obviously, the ref asked how many he had to make sure he didn't foul out!

That is ridiculous, inexcusable, and unless the Pistons or Pacers have the Lakers on the ropes in the Finals, I am not going to watch a minute of it. Shaq bragged last week about how he played football on the court, just more proof that the NBA is barely basketball and barely digestable for this fan.

-Aaron Switzer

PS - Did anyone hear my call? biggrin.gif I'm looking at you Perry, I know you listen to the Goodfellas.

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

Dan Patrick is playing the clip and we will see if he kisses up to the Lakers and Stern or speaks for basketball fans everywhere.

**It seems like DP thinks that was a little shady, but is unwilling to go all out in ripping the league (I'm sure that the ESPN/NBA deal has something to do with that).

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

Guest e-bone

If the Mav's ain't playin', I ain't watchin'.

Same here. The Mavericks are about the only team in the NBA that plays basketball. They go out, they make jump shots, they push the ball, they have fun. Compare them to the Lakers, Pistons, Spurs, whoever, and it is just pathetic. The Mavs obviously don't play as good defense as those teams, but at least the Mavs can make a wide open jump shot and don't run the shot clock down to 4 seconds before having a post player ram over his defender and make a lay up. The Pacers are alright to watch until they get into a half court game against a horrible offensive team like the Pistons when both teams decide that no matter how wide open a shot they have, they are going to miss it.

If Mark Cuban tries to turn the Mavs into a "defensive" team then I probably won't be watching much NBA basketball next season.

Aaron, thank you soooo much for making that post. I was hoping someone would say something about the precious nba. I'm not a basketball fan, and thats no secret. But, I enjoy UNT games, and the occasional Mavs game. I also enjoy a good pickup game with friends at times, yes I said friends rolleyes.gif

But the reason you stated is just one of the reasons that I think basketball is the biggest joke of the 4 major sports.

You want a real sport, watch the Stanley Cup Finals. Those guys are busting their butts.

Guest e-bone

But the reason you stated is just one of the reasons that I think basketball is the biggest joke of the 4 major sports.

You want a real sport, watch the Stanley Cup Finals.  Those guys are busting their butts.

The sport of basketball is not a joke, the NBA is a joke.

I would also venture to say that basketball has many of the best overall athletes in the world, that could have excelled and been the best at whatever sport they would have chose to play.

Pro sports, as a whole, have become not entertaining to me.  I will watch the hometown teams only.  Could care less about the NBA and NHL right now.  I would much rather watch a college game anyday.

I'm not down on the NFL or MLB.

Like I said, I did not even watch last night's game because I, along with the rest of the world KNEW the Lakers would win, fairly or not. That doesn't happen in baseball. The Yankees don't have their own set of rules on the field that is different than the Twins like the Lakers and Wolves. In football, the Cowboys can't do things without a flag that the Lions can't do. This is why the NBA is somewhere in the middle of real basketball and pro wrestling, even without the obvious comparisons with Shaq's style of play.

The NBA is about personalities, name brand teams and logos, global marketing, selling replica jerseys, and TV ratings, and to hell with real basketball. The Lakers WILL be in the Finals no matter what. They have to be there for all to see and we can have some more Shaq Burger King commercials rammed down our throat. Then send it back to the "action" of Fisher dumping the ball into Shaq and the other four guys stand around and watch Shaq plant an elbow into his defender's chest, knock him down and dunk, followed by Shaq running down the court screaming obscenities, while David Stern gives a glowing courtside interview about how great the game is going. Excuse me while I become physically ill and that whirring sound you hear is Naismith turning over in his grave.

But there is NO WAY that basketball players are in better shape than hockey players.

I used to have a roomate that was a hockey player and he explained to me how tiring it is, and there is no doubt about that it is physically taxing. Compared to basketball, I think SOME basketball players are on par with the most in shape hockey players. Players like Rip Hamilton, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, that go 100 miles an hour non-stop and play the whole game are as in good shape as any hockey player. Now, if you want to throw in Yao Ming, Shaq, and Oliver Miller in, then I would like consider goalies as well wink.gif. See, it's fairly even, though hockey may be in better shape top to bottom. But I know the sport with the athletes in the best shape- the 800m and 1600m. Argument closed.

Guest e-bone

Your average hockey player is probably in better shape than your average basketball player, but that doesn't mean they are better athletes.

I think there are many pro basketball players that could start practicing to play football, soccer, track and field, etc... and eventually become some of the best players in those sports. Just think having Vince Carter high jumping, Kevin Garnett a goalie in soccer, or Dirk as a tight end.

Edited by e-bone

I think there are many pro basketball players that could start practicing to play football, soccer, track and field, etc... and eventually become some of the best players in those sports. Just think having Vince Carter high jumping, Kevin Garnett a goalie in soccer, or Dirk as a tight end.

Kind of like Michael Jordan playing baseball or golf? Obviously, I disagree that they would excel at other sports, but they are great athletes.

But I know the sport with the athletes in the best shape- the 800m and 1600m.  Argument closed.

I'd say decathletes are the best athletes on the planet. To be world class in 10 different events? No WAY can anyone top that.

As to the original point of this thread. I really don't enjoy the NBA anymore - even though college basketball is still FAR AND AWAY my favorite sport. I'd rather watch the Stanley Cup playoffs anyday.

CMJ, I didn't say best athletes, I said in the best shape.

Back to the original spirit of the thread, Dan Patrick had several emails read on-air that said that the NBA is nearing the equivalent of pro wrestling, and Randy Galloway had ESPN NBA analyst Marc Stein on who said there is no defense for what Ed Rush said last night. Most people knew this had been going on, and this is just a first-hand witness to it that announced on national radio to confirm it. The NBA will have some chicken &h!t excuse about what he said, and pretend everything is fair, when it's not. Like I said, it may not be completely fixed, but I along with everyone else knew that the Lakers would be in the Finals come hell or high water. I just remembered that last year's Minn-LA series in the first round was pretty controversial as well, I remember a call on a TWolve (Szcerbiak?) who "fouled" a Kobe shooting a 3 that allowed the Lakers to steal a game.

How great would the NBA be with actual basketball rules enforced, fouls called like they are supposed to and every team has the same set of rules? These playoffs would be riveting. As it is, I would rather watch a ho-hum Rangers vs. Indians regular season game.

Guest e-bone

The only way the NBA will return to actual basketball is if David Stern is forced out. He is good with marketing and the business side of his job, but he has let the game go to crap. I kind of hate to say it because people will say I think this just because I'm a Mavs fan, but the NBA really needs Mark Cuban or someone just like him to be the commisioner. Someone who wants to preserve the game of basketball and put an end to taking 4 or 5 steps(Shaq and Doug Christie do this constantly), carrying the ball(put an end to having them have their hand all the way underneath the ball), "star system" where stars get calls and don't get fouled out, offensive fouls and defensive fouls(no ramming over defenders and no leaning on offensive players), etc, etc...

IronMan, your initial post is one of your best ever. The NBA is nothing more than WWE dressed up to look more legit. I can remember several years ago when Shaq was out of a game for an injury or something. He then "surprised" everyone by popping in the back door late in the second half to come save the day. The biggest "surprise" to me that day was the fact that cameras were waiting for him at the door. That is a page directly from wrestling.

On the game 6 several years ago: If you are referring to the Sac Kings vs the Lakers when Bibby got elbowed by Kobe, was bleeding from the nose, and then got a fouled called on him (I think Phil Jackson punched has grandmother too), then ohh man you have mentioned my favorite NBA conspiracy story. The NBA believes parity is for losers. Baseball trys to do the same thing and I am sure it kills them when little small market teams make it to the finals.

On the NHL and athleticism: Many ethnicities involved and yet very very few african american players. Such a large group of athletes that do not particiapte in the sport (on the whole) make me question the talent pool the NHL utilizes. (Lets not turn this into bball vs. hockey, nobody is gonna change their minds on the matter)

On the game 6 several years ago: If you are referring to the Sac Kings vs the Lakers when Bibby got elbowed by Kobe, was bleeding from the nose, and then got a fouled called on him (I think Phil Jackson punched has grandmother too), then ohh man you have mentioned my favorite NBA conspiracy story.

Read this article by Michael Wilbon after that Game 6.

And this one from "Screaming" Stephen A. Smith.

The Lakers averaged 22 foul shots a game going on and shot 27 in the FOURTH QUARTER, and the nose of Mike Bibby violently fouling Kobe Bryant's forearm is also a classic. Yes, this was in 2002, but it is the landmark of NBA doing it's best to determine a winner. This and the famous Patrick Ewing/Knicks lottery thing have to be the top 2. But what happend Monday night wasn't left for guessing. Ed Rush DID ask the scorers table how many fouls Shaq had after he picked up his 5th, and I don't need to tell you that through some miracle, Shaq never picked up #6. This is the first concrete evidence on this topic, and frankly it's all I needed to be flat out completely disgusted with the NBA, it was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

But I would like to point out again that this isn't the only reason I'm just about through wasting my time with the WWE...I mean NBA. The way the game has played has changed RAPIDLY over the last few years. What caused this is hard to pinpoint, but several things have contributed.

1)First and foremost, nobody can shoot. My dad used to complain about this 7 or 8 years ago, and compared to now, those were the good ol days. Who can flat out shoot a jumper in the East finals? 68 yeard old Reggie Miller, sure, Austin Croshere, maybe. Rip Hamilton plays basketball with a style I admire, but he isn't the best pure shooter. So that is 3 guys. I will assume I missed 2 (which I doubt) and say there are FIVE good shooters between the best two teams in the East.

2) There is also the way defense is played. Not too long ago, you played defense with positioning, smarts, and want to. Now, if a guy is burning you, grab push pull bully, whatever, it isn't gonna get called (unless you are guarding a Laker in the 4th quarter of a tight game). This got started with Jordan, with the Pistons and Knicks. They couldn't guard him on the perimeter, nobody could, so when he drives the lane, make him have the bruise to prove it. Forget about getting in positon to take the charge or using your body to make the shot more difficult, grab his arm or knock him down. Don't get me wrong, every now and then a team needs to just knock someone on their ass, but that should be a statement, not the primary defensive philosphy. Is what we are seeing now "good defense" as everyone says, or more physical contact in leu of good defense? Watch the Hornets and Pistons play and tell me.

3) Finally, Shaq has done his share. The way the post position is played has been changed because of Shaq. Technically, he commits an offensive foul everytime he gets the ball. In high school, and not too long ago on all levels, displacing a defender earned a charging call. Now, it is encouraged for centers. Finesse in the post is useless, you have to be bigger or stronger to outmuscle someone for a dunk. Remember the Dream Shake?? Next time you see Shaq elbow someone in the chest, dunk, and somehow draw a foul on the hapless defender remember the beauty and skill of Olajuwon doing the Dream Shake. And as I mentioned before, this point is not even lost on Shaq, because last week he bragged to the media that he played football on the court and he was the NFL's best NBA player or something like that. Just what I wanted to see watching the highest level of basketball, strength and size taking the place of skill and touch.

So the way the preferred team of the league is painfully obvious almost every night is one reason I can't stomach it anymore, but the way the game is played and along with that the quality of play is a big reason too. I know this was PMG-esque but I had to say it all.

Man, Aaron, I missed the show today...but I sure wish I had heard your call. I agree with everything you're saying, and I'm not happy about the Lakers being in the Finals. There was some seriously fishy things going on, as you mentioned.

Do what they want...but with a healthy first AND second-string point guard in the line-up...the T-Wolves are a different team. They beat the Fakers three out of four in the regular season.

I guess the only thing to watch for in the sure to be boring Finals will be Rip Hamilton out-hustling Kobe Bryant. Ben Wallace is the best interior defender in the league...but do you think he'll have a good series playing against Shaq? I seriously doubt it, and not because he can't defend him... Shaq will play football style, get every call, and hit 46 percent of his free throws...and the Lakers will win. It's a shame too...other than Rasheed, I kinda like the Pistons. I was pulling for the Pacers though (why stop giving the ball to Jermaine O'Neal in the second half???). Anyway, the NBA has been disappointing this season to say the least.

I just had a short call yesterday. Newy was saying Ed Rush's Shaq inquiry wasn't a big deal, and I just called and said that when Sean Payton comes up Newy discredits Brian's opnion because he is biased and that Newy needs to do the same to himself because he is biased being all buddy buddy with Shaq. I hung up before they replied because I didn't want to say anything stupid.

I agree with what you said about the TWolves point guard situation vs. the Lakers. Just look at what Mike Bibby, Troy Hudson, and other point guards have done to the Lakers in the past. The Lakers just can't guard the pick and roll, and having Sam Cassell and Troy Hudson running it instead of Derek Martin would have made a huge difference.

I hope more than anything that the Pistons beat the Lakers, but until it is a clinching game for Detroit, I'm not gonna watch any of it, and this is coming from a huge basketball fan too.