The End of a Career

UNTLifer

Golf: Capping a career

Senior seeks berth in NCAA Championships

08:41 AM CDT on Thursday, May 20, 2004

By Brett Vito Staff Writer

Zach Atkinson knows just what it is like to face a pressure situation on a golf course.

The North Texas senior played in the NCAA Central Region tournament last year and went on to play in the US Amateur, where he advanced to the quarterfinals.

Courtesy photo

UNT senior Zach Atkinson is vying for a spot in the NCAA Championships.

Atkinson will call on that experience when he tees off in the regional for the second straight year. The 2004 edition of the event will begin today at the Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex-Kampen Course in West Lafayette, Ind.

"I think it will help me a little to have played in the tournament before," Atkinson said. "I felt like I played pretty well last year. I will have to play even better this year to get to nationals."

While Atkinson has played in the regional tournament before, this season’s event will be a little different. UNT qualified for the regional tournament as a team last year when Atkinson finished in a tie for 32nd with a one-over par 217.

Atkinson will be the lone member of UNT’s team participating in the event this season. He qualified as an individual and will compete for a spot in the NCAA Championships on June 1-4 in Hot Springs, Va. The top 10 teams and the top two individuals will advance to the national tournament.

"I think Zach has a good chance to get to the national tournament," UNT coach Jim Bob Jackson said. "He is a seasoned player and has competed at some of the highest levels of golf."

Atkinson enters the tournament playing some of his best golf of the season. He shot under par in four of eight rounds heading into The Maxwell Intercollegiate last weekend and continued to play well in his final tune-up for the regional tournament.

Atkinson shot an even par 210 and finished in a tie for 15th in a loaded field.

"I played better toward the end of the season," Atkinson said. "I started in a little bit of a slump earlier in the year and worked my way out of it."

Atkinson finished the season with the best scoring average among UNT players at 73.4 and was named to the All-Sun Belt Conference team.

Atkinson is hoping to carry that success over into a professional career.

Atkinson has one last class to take to earn his degree. He will finish school on July 2 and will then play his first professional tournament at the Texas State Open.

From there Atkinson will try to qualify for as many Tight Lies Tour events as possible before PGA Tour Qualifying School. The Tight Lies Tour is a lower-level professional circuit for players trying to work their way into the PGA Tour.

"I think Zach could do well playing professionally," Jackson said. "With some time and competition, he will be able to compete in the professional ranks."

Before he heads out on tour, Atkinson will look to leave his mark on the UNT program with a solid showing at the regional tournament that could serve as a springboard for his professional career.

"It’s going to be tough to get to the national tournament, but I have confidence that I can make it," Atkinson said. "Playing at nationals would be like the icing on my college career."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.