P5 Talent On UNT Roster

BillySee58

On 8/21/2020 at 2:34 PM, BillySee58 said:

While looking through the roster and the various position groups it really stood out to me how many of these guys had at least one P5 school offer them in high school. We can basically put together a starting lineup of guys who had P5 offers, and are 2-3 deep there in some positions. So I did.

This obviously is nothing like what our starting lineup will look like and some of these guys will get or have already been outplayed by guys who didn’t have P5 offers, but it’s encouraging to see so many of these type of players competing for spots. That’s how you build a good roster. The guys who emerge from these competitions will be the real deal.

QB:

RS SO Austin Aune (TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas)

RS FR Will Kuehne (Maryland)

RS FR Amani Gilmore (Kentucky, Tennessee) - Sitting out season due to transfer

RB:

RS JR Tre Siggers (Louisville, Texas Tech)

RS SR Nick Smith (Cal, Purdue)

FR Ikaika Ragsdale (Arizona, Oregon)

WR:

SR Jaelon Darden (Virginia Tech)

SO Deonte Simpson (Northwestern)

RS FR Kealon Jackson (Kansas, West Virginia)

FR Detraveon Brown (Ole Miss, Kentucky, Kansas)

FR Loronzo Thompson (Baylor, Utah)

TE:

RS FR Khatib Lyles (Indiana, Texas Tech, Kansas, Utah)

RS FR Asher Alberding (Kansas)

FR Jake Roberts (Colorado)

Offensive Line:

RS SO Jacob Farrell (OK State, Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech) - Sitting out season due to transfer

Defensive Line:

RS SO Davontae McCrae (Miss State, Arizona, Colorado, Missouri)

FR Jonathan Pickett (Arizona, Arizona State, Vanderbilt, West Virginia)

FR Kortlin Rausaw (Colorado, Iowa State)

Linebackers:

JR KD Davis (Illinois)

RS FR Taylor Jacobs (Texas Tech)

Cornerbacks:

RS SO Jordan Rucker (Purdue)

RS FR Jevin Murray (Louisville, Oregon State)

Safeties:

JR Alex Morris (Indiana, Louisville)

RS SO Jaxon Gibbs (Illinois)

FR Garnett Burke (Kansas)

25 guys with P5 offers out of 85 scholarship spots available is extremely impressive. Especially when you consider 20 of these guys are underclassmen and only 2 are seniors. Really excited to start seeing this type of talent on the field for us.

Excellent breakdown Billy! Exciting to have this many young talented players throughout the roster. This 2020 roster will be the most talented team since Littrell took the job, and filling in another 2020 class like the previous two should put us around the top of C-USA rosters in terms of raw talent. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenb.o.g. said:

Hey Billy, thanks for the breakdown.

Strictly judging on your criteria (guys receiving P5 offers), is this the best North Texas has ever had?

Not sure, and would be hard to tell going back very far. Plan on looking into this when I have some time, but my initial thinking is yes it is more than our rosters in recent years. Looking back at some of the Mccarney rosters we seemed to hover around 5-10 guys who had P5 offers out of high school. Most of those guys were usually transfers like Trice, Darius Terrell, Cam Feldt, Reggie Pegram, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Excellent breakdown Billy! Exciting to have this many young talented players throughout the roster. This 2020 roster will be the most talented team since Littrell took the job, and filling in another 2020 class like the previous two should put us around the top of C-USA rosters in terms of raw talent. 

Thank you

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Shocked Gaddie didn't have any P5 offers.  This young man will leave Denton as one of our best ever, IMHO.

Even though he didn’t, he did have more FBS offers than the vast majority of players we have signed. He also had some strong interest from P5s and was very close to landing P5 offers from what I was told. Either way, glad he’s here

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Not sure, and would be hard to tell going back very far. Plan on looking into this when I have some time, but my initial thinking is yes it is more than our rosters in recent years. Looking back at some of the Mccarney rosters we seemed to hover around 5-10 guys who had P5 offers out of high school. Most of those guys were usually transfers like Trice, Darius Terrell, Cam Feldt, Reggie Pegram, etc.

I would say a lot of the 2013 team could've played at the P5 level. Mainly on defense like Orr, Trice, Lee and so on.