Cal Bear Fans discuss Mason Fine

Coach Andy Mac

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Last season Cal beat North Carolina, BYU, Oregon State, Washington, USC and Colorado.  The lost 10-7 to TCU in their bowl game.  They aren't Bama but they beat some pretty damn good programs last season and also had some close losses against good teams.  Holding TCU to 10 points tells me their defense is stout.

https://calbears.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1561

I agree with all except the comment on TCU.  TCU's offense was bad last year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This Cal team, as far as I can tell, is much much better than 2018 Arkansas.

I don’t understand why people think we should win it.  We certainly can, but it will be a dog fight.  This will probably get me some downvotes, but I can also see us getting run out of the building.

If we win by 21+ points, that would be enough for me to believe we can crack the T25 this year.

The 2018 Arkansas team wasn't very good and was extremely unprepared.  Once we started taking it to them, they didn't even seem to want to be on the field for the game.  They were only about 1 qtr away from letting fans have a chance at playing QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Their reactions are exactly what we can expect, even from silly C-USA teams this year. This will be our biggest test (everybody knows that), but a win by any margin takes us leaps and bounds beyond the "middling G5 program" label we've been stuck with. I don't see why we can't win this game, but I also don't see why UCLA can't win this game. Only factors that make sense to me is that our offense is elite, their defense is elite. Their offense is garbage (but will score) and our defense is perfectly average (thanks to grad transfers + recruits). In the end I think it's somewhere in the 20-17 range final score. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, greenminer said:

This Cal team, as far as I can tell, is much much better than 2018 Arkansas.

I don’t understand why people think we should win it.  We certainly can, but it will be a dog fight.  This will probably get me some downvotes, but I can also see us getting run out of the building.

If we win by 21+ points, that would be enough for me to believe we can crack the T25 this year.

NO downvotes from me! They were a bowl team last year and despite our 9 win seasons, we have struggled against solid teams.