COLUMN: Where is baseball at North Texas?

Skipper

In this article, the writer seems to be on both sides of the issue,  but not in an analytical manner.   He opines that it cost too much money, but by golly NT fans deserve a baseball team.  

Would someone explain to this writer what being in debt means.   There is a difference in debt and deficit.  NT is in debt primarily to pay off Apogee.   Most all division 1 teams are in debt to finance facilities and also run a substantial annual operational deficit.   

Baseball is a very expensive sport that seldom comes close to paying for itself.  It is also problematic from a Title IX perspective.  It is in NT's long-term plans but the timing continues to be delayed.   Startup cost would be substantial as a baseball field must be constructed that even with donations would probably add to NT's debt.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have read where many state that baseball is a very expensive sport.  Does anyone have any numbers to quantify that statement?  I was just curious because it doesn't seem like it would cost too much to operate (minus any stadium construction costs)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I have read where many state that baseball is a very expensive sport.  Does anyone have any numbers to quantify that statement?  I was just curious because it doesn't seem like it would cost too much to operate (minus any stadium construction costs)

Comparatively, you can take baseball versus a sport like, say volleyball or soccer. Volleyball really only requires player protective gear, a ball and a net. Gymnasiums are not hard to find on a college campus, and can be utilized for other purposes. Soccer, for example, take a ball, a field and a couple of goals. Player protection comes in, too, with shin guards, and other items.

Baseball on the other hand requires a field which cannot be generally utilized for the rest of the campus population, bats, balls, batting cages, pitching machines, player safety equipment like helmets and catching gear, gloves, bases that need to be replaced periodically, on and on.

I'm sure I missed some of these aspects with vball and soccer, but just off the top of my head, I can see why baseball is significantly more expensive than other sports. Also baseball supports several more players than vball and soccer, so scholarships, and equipment provided for the high number of players all plays into the cost.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I think D1 baseball has 11 scholarships per team, could be wrong.  Also, I am willing to bet that people would spend $5 or $10 for tickets to a good D1 baseball game negating some of the costs.

Has to be more than that to support a full team. 9 players on the field at any given time, but you need a backup catcher, multiple bench players, a bullpen, and 3-4 other starters for a rotation. I'd guess it's not any different than the 25 allowed in MLB. But I could be wrong, too.

EDIT: There are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship. 

Edited by Jason Howeth
Looked up the answer
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

For reference: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

Men's Varsity Sports 
Scholarship limit per School 
NCAA I  NCAA II NCAA III NAIA ** NJCAA **
Baseball 11.7 9 - 12 24
Basketball - NCAA I is a head count sport 13 10 - - 15
Basketball  NAIA Division I - - - 11 -
Basketball  NAIA Division II - - - 6 -