College Football's TV Gravy Train Is Slowing. Focus on the Fans.

Talon90

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/7/26/17610702/tv-money-conference-distributions?__twitter_impression=true 

"....For everybody else, the TV gods have been even more demanding. The MAC didn’t play a single Saturday conference game in November. It’s pushed the Mountain West to play tons of late games, a source of frustration."

I'm not sure if what the MAC agreed to was beneficial.  Every game I watched had really low attendance.

A good example of this for us is our Thursday night 8:30pm game against FAU.  

Edited by Talon90
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Talon90 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/7/26/17610702/tv-money-conference-distributions?__twitter_impression=true 

"....For everybody else, the TV gods have been even more demanding. The MAC didn’t play a single Saturday conference game in November. It’s pushed the Mountain West to play tons of late games, a source of frustration."

I'm not sure if what the MAC agreed to was beneficial.  Every game I watched had really low attendance.

A good example of this for us is our Thursday night 8:30pm game against FAU.  

The MAC definitely did not need this.  With the exception of Toledo and Ohio the MAC didn't draw well with weekend games.  Oh, if Central and Western Michigan had good teams they could draw well enough for the FBS but the rest of the league needs to be at the FCS level even though some were pretty solid in bygone years.

The MAC fudged a little to get into the FBS.  Several of their members did not have the required 30,000 seat stadiums for Division I (FBS) but were allowed if the majority of the conference did.  I think maybe the same held true for the 17,000 attendance requirement.  

If G5 members want to play on Wednesday nights then it should be on an individual basis, not conference.  Only those members who average 17,000 and above should have that option IMO.  We need to be strength-ening the G5s, not weakening them.

• Upvote 2