Link

Denton Ryan moving from 4A to 5A is a biggie.

Second biggest locally to me anyway is Celina back down to 2A.

Others worth note at first glance

Lake Dallas to 4A

Burnet to 4A

Valley View to 1A

and Zeke, Alvord is back down in 1A

My old high schools new district:

10-2A

Argyle

Aubrey

Celina

Gainesville Callisburg

Prosper

Sadler S & S Cons.

Basketball only:

Krum

Ponder

Since I graduated, Sanger has gone from 9-3A to 7, and now 6.

Bowie

Gainesville

Pilot Point

Pottsboro

Sanger

Whitesboro

Does Whitesboro still suck? My senior year we kicked off to them and had a 21-0 lead on them before they had 4 plays from scrimmage.

Obviously Gainesville will be the favorite and PP will probably be decent.

It also means there will be a lot of cops at one of our games this year.

I would expect both Denton schools would drop back to 4A once the new HS is in place, although with the rate of population growth they could all 3 end up in 5A. Will be interesting to watch in 2 years.

Also that 5A district with Ryan is super tough. Ryan, Soutlake Carroll, Keller, and Grapevine. Plus 5A Region 1 will be the teams to beat come State Tourney.

Edited by untbowler

It's good to see Garland get its own district!

I'm also glad to see the Richardson schools leave Plano's district as those Plano schools and their 3k students made up of only upperclassmen had a decided advantage.

Isn't it crazy? I graduated with 1,100 others...GO EAST!

My cousin went to Plano East in 94-95.

I will say you can not complain about all those women though!

I graduated with 350 peeps..... Less pickens there!

True, i was going by what I heard on the ticket ticker. I read what you just posted in the paper at lunch. I still think it will cause problems though when the build the new HS. The numbers will go back down.

That's what happens when you rely on the Ticket for actual sports news and sports talk.

For the casual sports fan, I think The Ticket gets the job done.  ESPN 103.3 screws up facts at times as well.

I would really hate for this great topic to get turned into another Ticket thread, but if you enjoy sophomoric humor with a dabbling of sports talk, the Ticket is for you. ESPN is a lot more based on actual sports talk. That's as plain an explanation as I can describe. There are exceptions on both sides, but this seems to sum it up pretty well.

True, i was going by what I heard on the ticket ticker. I read what you just posted in the paper at lunch. I still think it will cause problems though when the build the new HS. The numbers will go back down.

Ryan will play one 2-year cycle in 5A, then back down to 4A. By that time, there will be even more Metroplex schools in 4-A. I'm wondering if the UIL will go ahead and bite the bullet next time around in creating class 6-A for the mega-schools (Planos, Duncanville, etc) and move the cutoff for 5-A down a little to about 1700 or so.

Ryan will play one 2-year cycle in 5A, then back down to 4A. By that time, there will be even more Metroplex schools in 4-A. I'm wondering if the UIL will go ahead and bite the bullet next time around in creating class 6-A for the mega-schools (Planos, Duncanville, etc) and move the cutoff for 5-A down a little to about 1700 or so.

That would be GREAT!!!!

The Plano schools have always had a big advantage as they can draw from 3,000 upperclassmen while traditional 4 year schools draw from half that number even though their enrollment is similar.

For example, Plano has a population of 238,000 and only 3 High Schools, while Garland has a population of 222,000 and 5 High Schools; Garland has 7 High Schools if you count the Sachse and Rowlett schools which draw some Garland kids! So, you can see that the talent is going to be much more dispersed in a "traditional HS system".

I was wondering, what other cities use the 2-year Senoir HS system besides Plano?

This would also make Highland Park play some better competition, which is good in my book!