Mandatory attendance in college classes is unnecessary

15 hours ago, Skipper said:

Many classes in college still require attendance to be mandatory. If a class has mandatory attendance, it usually entails a certain number of absences before crucial consequences are put into

View Full Article

Studies consistently show that the best single predictor of success in a class (usually measured by the grade earned) is attendance.  Students who come to class tend to do well, students who miss some lectures tend to do less well, and students who miss a lot tend to do poorly.  Obviously, there are confounding factors.  However, suggesting attendance is unnecessary is doing the student a disservice.

And then there's the bad long-term implications.  How many of you want to hire an employee who has such a lax attitude toward attendance?

• Upvote 2

In my college math classes, it is extremely unusual to have a student with poor attendance pass ... much less do well... When they do it is because of an unusual background such as they  passed calculus in HS and the material is extremely easy for them...

.I agree with the last statement above ...... I even tell students similar ... a college degree means you did a lot of things you may not have wanted to do but you did them ..... and are unlikely to just quit or not do what is needed. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This sounds like an article I would have written when I was 12.

Agreed. Also not being factored in is the amount of back-and-forth discourse in many college classrooms which can help shape the well-roundedness of a student. This is always been my argument against comparing online education vs standard college classroom education. Anyone can take a lesson plan and learn the basics. The teacher isn't the only person in the room doing the teaching