Super Pit Atmosphere

IronMan4

Things have gotten bad fans. The last two games especially when there was no band and hardly any cheerleaders. Things have got to change if this team is to have a home court advantage. The NMSU game last night was almost like a home game for NMSU - not because they had more fans- but because they had a large loud following right behind their bench and the NT fans didn't have much to cheer for in the final period. That will be the last time another team comes in and has a good time like that in the Super Pit.

I admit, I have quieted down a ton at games. I used to stand on the front row and heckle everyone not in green and cheer the team on with all my voice. Then I was moved out of my spot because Talons informed me it was a "Talons only section" and since then I have moved away from the court and sat for most of the game. It is time that I go back to the front row and make things a little more annoying for the other team. NMSU had it way too easy.

Obviously, I can't do it by myself, so we need to brainstorm for ANYTHING that can be done to make the Super Pit more rowdy. I have come to realize the athletic department seems content with the atmosphere as is, and would rather play the 10+ year old original Jock Jams song than do anything to promote a great atmosphere.

CaraBear and I thought for a little bit, and all we have come up with is specific recurring cheers. We need a short chant we do after every Mean Green 3 pointer. I thought after Shawnson Johnson gets a block or a bucket we could chant "He owwwwwwwns you" and heckle whoever has the misfortune of guarding him. It may get in his head a little, it may not, but the atmosphere needs to change at the Super Pit now. What are some ideas yall have? I will try my hardest to be at tailgating this week.

I am looking forward to your replies, and lets get together and organized on this stuff so that the next game we can make our presence felt.

UNT fans have not had much to cheer about at basketball games lately. Poor shooting and turnovers will turn off any momentum fans can put together fast. NMSU had a big run in the second half and their fans took advantage of UNT's poor play to inspire their team. UNT fans would do the same a few times but every time we tried to make a run NMSU would hit a three to up the lead. Until we get a more dominating team to play at home even the best fan support can not hit a free throw or 3-point shot when it's needed. Like a coach, we don't play the game. sad.gif

I agree and disagree...obviously the skill has to be there...and we have had a few off nites....but i guarantee if that the pit had more loud and rowdy fans...it helps the team....It always helped our teams in high school to have how ever many fans could fit in Mansfields gym backing our girls through their hard games on the way to state....Home court advantage=loud fans and supportive fans! LoveMG makes a good point here...but alittle more support from the students and locals hasn't ever cause a team to lose more in my opinion

Coach Dickey's little daughter did a fine job of cheering on the Mean Green. She showed plenty of spirit.

The NT dance team also does a great job of getting the fans blood pumping. I hope NT schedules UTEP at home next season. Their new coach Mike Price, formerly of Alabama, will probably wave dollar bills at the dancers during time outs.

After being a front rower during my entire stay at North Texas, then to leave town............. I must say that one of my bigger joys I have right now is getting to come home and sit front row at North Texas basketball game. There is nothing quite like yelling and screaming and being someone that you just don't get to be in the outside world.

(Old man speak coming) IronMan, get front row every chance you get, cause there might come a time when you wish you had the liberty to do that.

As far as fan created atmosphere, chants are good. But it is always hard to get the whole gym particiapting and not just one group. Homemade signs are always great too. The tailgating is good, and I think that advertising that to the student body would get a lot done. For this season, starting some buzz in the paper about ShoJo would be good. True or not, he needs to be portrayed as NBA material. Utilizing the viedo boards/sound system would be good too. The Mavs used to have video clips sponsored by blockbuster that would play a 5 sec movie clip that seemed to pertain to the game situation. This always pumped the crowd up or made them laugh. There just needs to be a festive atmosphere at all times. Never a dull moment.

One more idea that I may have mentioned before:

I would like to see more things for kids in the concourse of the Pit. Things like lifesize cutouts of Mean Green players where a kid could see how his height measures up to Justin Barnet's or where a kid can see how their shoe matches up to one of the players actual shoes. This setup wouldn't be complete without someone running a basketball shoot.

I am sure there are other things that could be done for pretty cheap for the kids. Just another idea to make the place more festive.

IMO, our sound system sounded like it was on life support. Distortion whenever there was a song with any amount of bass was played. I cringed whenever any song came on. Speaking of songs, can we update the playlist? I remember many of the songs that were played from when I was in high school. Yeah, I rode the Train ... back in the mid 90s. I might make a sign just for our lovely DJ:

Hey DJ

|>

Next Song Please

Half time was fun ... if you were there for one of the banks. Next Thursday is Chamber of Commerce night. Expect to hear some worthless legislation to be read off stating how this is North Texas night or something worthless to that effect.

Thank goodness I go to the games for the sport/players and not the other stuff that goes on when the ball isn't in play. ph34r.gif

I wish the AD would do that stuff Zeke.

I just want to plan some things that we can do as a grassroots thing with the fans such as the chants and signs. Talking up the team and especially Johnson in classes and with friends to Paul Bunyan-esque stature will get some people out just to see if he is as good as we say he is.

As much as I love the ideas with the movies on the screen and the kids area in the concourse, it ain't gonna happen. It is clear the AD is happy with the way things are because not a dang thing has changed in years. We are gonna have to do stuff on our own.

What are some ideas we the fans can put into action?

Iron Man 4 is correct. The atmosphere at the SuperPit can be markedly bumped up. The athletic administration is either incapable or unwilling to make this happen. The athletic department cannot control fan reaction, but they can sure do some things to orchestrate a better college game atmosphere. We play in a major market and have halftimes that many remote junior colleges would reject. In past years we have had guest appearances by the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, the Bud Lite Daredevils and the Kilgore Rangerettes. With all the talent on campus, why not spotlight musical groups or dancers from around campus? Also, there are not 14 Greeks who know when games are. Every organization on campus should have an athletic dept. representative who tells their organization the upcoming games for the week. When Jimmy Gales was coach and the team had won only about 5 games, we had over 5,000 in the SuperPit for a pack the pit night that was almost totally done with student participation. It can be done.