Thoughts on how to build a team

MeanGreen_MBA

• I would like to share a story with you to get an idea of what my thoughts are in building this program.  Not to pat myself on the back, but just a yarn on my thought process....and many in the business world....

In the early 2000's, I was hired by a start-up to help build out a new territory in the SW United States.  We were divided into 2 regions...let's call them North and South for this example.  There were 2 directors.  I had the Northern region, and another guy had the southern region.  We were tasked with hiring project managers, sales....  Creating processes and procedures; and going balls out to get new customers.  The Southern region jumped out with their hair on fire signing up any company they could to get their pipeline filled quickly.  My region, by design, took a methodical approach in defining, researching and pursuing customers we could not only sign, but install and bring into service. 

It was kind of a competition between North vs South regions who was going to be most successful in this new venture.  The South was signing up customers at about a 10:1 ratio over the North.  On paper, we were getting our asses kicked.....  The whole process of building out our network, and actually installing customers took close to 1 yr.  During that time, I got a ton of pressure from Senior Management for not doing enough, not being aggressive, not making enough of a splash....I was worried for my job.  I left a solid company for a start-up....geez....

When we finally got to a point of being able to install and bring customers on live.......the Southern region customers were falling like flies.  They got a ton of people to sign, but were not real customers that you could bill and count on long term.  While my team in the North went along and brought in solid customers that we could not only install, but bill for years to come.  After 2 years, I got the job of Director for the whole SW US region. 

It is not always the splash and quick "results" that make you successful....it is building things the right way.  That is my thoughts on how to build a good solid team....

the only problem I had after that, was we did such a good job in building our region, 2 years later, we were bought for our footprint, and the entire team was let go.....  So we have that to worry about...

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I like your story MeanGreen_MBA. I think you are correct in your assessment of what is going on.  I have heard from people who have worked for Seth Littrell and staff...from people who have interned with this staff...from players that live every day with this staff.  They all say how great the chemistry is among them.  Coach Littrell picked good people that he knew could work together.  When this staff arrived here a year ago, their first job was to try to figure out who was in and who wanted out when it came to players on the team that they inherited. Sure enough players left.  I think that this staff obviously wanted the best athletes that they could get, but it was equally important to find kids that would enhance and not hinder the work that they have already done.  The message from Coach Littrell at the signing party last night was this...  He told us to go out and make a difference and tell the people we talk to positive things about this school and our team.  So positive is what I will be.  And when we are winning this year, surprised is what I will not be.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, 4MYMGE said:

I like your story MeanGreen_MBA. I think you are correct in your assessment of what is going on.  I have heard from people who have worked for Seth Littrell and staff...from people who have interned with this staff...from players that live every day with this staff.  They all say how great the chemistry is among them.  Coach Littrell picked good people that he knew could work together.  When this staff arrived here a year ago, their first job was to try to figure out who was in and who wanted out when it came to players on the team that they inherited. Sure enough players left.  I think that this staff obviously wanted the best athletes that they could get, but it was equally important to find kids that would enhance and not hinder the work that they have already done.  The message from Coach Littrell at the signing party last night was this...  He told us to go out and make a difference and tell the people we talk to positive things about this school and our team.  So positive is what I will be.  And when we are winning this year, surprised is what I will not be.

THIS right here...we are our own worst enemy within the Metroplex at times for the way we talk about our own program...in person, on GoMeanGreen.Com and yes, around that water cooler at work. 

OH...and before anyone says otherwise...I am NOT blaming the fans.  I am mentioning only that, as fans and supporters of UNT, we could do a better and more positive job of "talking up" the program. PERIOD!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1