Wings @ tailgate

Snowy

6 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Has anyone ever done wings at your tailgate? If so, how did you handle the grease/hot oil? Any other challenges/issues you come across?

Used to always do wings.  Don't fry.  Grill.  Then toss in sauce.  Do not put sauce on while grilling.  

It's a little bit tedious having to turn each of those little bastards individually, but totally worth it.  Bring tongs, and for God's sake, use charcoal, not propane -- preferably the lump charcoal you can find in Mexican supermarkets. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Snowy said:

Why not fry? Grilled wings DO sound easier, but I have a personal belief that wings should only be fried. (Definitely NOT baked. Grilled could be interesting.)

I'm just going to reply that I've converted a great many people over to grilling over the years.  You definitely want them cooked.  Like almost to the point where you feel they're overcooked.  Unlike those nasty things that come out of a pizza oven, you will end up with a nice pleasant texture and a subtle smoky flavor that you don't get from frying.  

John has brought out a deep fryer for several things it, it is a pain but we get there usually 8 hours before start of the game. For wings I would recommend the grill also. John is a bit over the top he will bring out his high-end meat slicer with a battery array of car batteries and a power inverter to run his slicer just to make fresh carved Cuban Sandwiches, that are unbelievable and paninied (its a word now) on the grill. 

18 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

John has brought out a deep fryer for several things it, it is a pain but we get there usually 8 hours before start of the game. For wings I would recommend the grill also. John is a bit over the top he will bring out his high-end meat slicer with a battery array of car batteries and a power inverter to run his slicer just to make fresh carved Cuban Sandwiches, that are unbelievable and paninied (its a word now) on the grill. 

Damn!!  I need new tailgate friends.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Used to always do wings.  Don't fry.  Grill.  Then toss in sauce.  Do not put sauce on while grilling.  

It's a little bit tedious having to turn each of those little bastards individually, but totally worth it.  Bring tongs, and for God's sake, use charcoal, not propane -- preferably the lump charcoal you can find in Mexican supermarkets. 

I have used a "fish basket" to turn them all at once.  makes it much easier when cooking a lot of wings.

14440365?wid=450&hei=450&fmt=pjpeg

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I've tried having a deep fryer out there and it didn't work.  My guess is that the generator didn't have enough horse power because the oil wasn't hot enough.  I was trying to fry a some bacon wrapped onion rings for burgers.

And I just used a basic deep fryer, not a commercial one.

This is definitely a concern I have as well. What generator do you have? 

3 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Are you sure you are not getting 'tailgating' confused with 'boulevarding'?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Snowy said:

This is definitely a concern I have as well. What generator do you have? 

We had a ryobi 200 watt generator

Dont worry, while no one else actually answers your question and gives you suggestions that you already knew, I got you fam.

Besides King, he keeps it 100 too

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When John does deep fry he uses a propane heat source or butane depending on size of his needs. Something like a Turkey Fryer setup for large needs and he has a single and double burner table top device that uses butane I believe for smaller needs. Getting to temp has never been an issue. 

I agree with King, propane would work best. I couldn't fit my propane fryer in my car, I forgot to mention that. 

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Where do you all dump the hot oil?

Turn off the fryer and let the oil cool while the game is on. Pour the oil it back in the container with a funnel or you can pour the oil in a freeze bag

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 1