MGB: UNT-UAB women's basketball running blog

Brett Vito

Today was the first women's game I've made it to in quite a while.  The first half was very sloppy, but they kept playing hard.  Frierson and Tac both sat out for a few minutes in the fourth quarter due to foul trouble. Kelsey Criner who hit the game winning layup with 1.8 seconds left played all 40.  It is still very early on with coach Mitchell, but considering the talented transfers she has sitting out this year, next year could be pretty exciting.  If that ultimately happens and other schools come calling I hope The 17 reward her with enough incentive to stay.  

I don't think coach mitchel will turn a lot of heads outside of UNT this season seing as the record is not stellar yet and not everyone realiszes how down the program was last season. But things seem to point in the right direction. That is already 3 wins more than last season, and a lot more hope to make .500 this season than the men. And all of that with a very shorthanded squad which has a lot of firepower sitting out and schedulled to join next season.

5 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I don't think coach mitchel will turn a lot of heads outside of UNT this season seing as the record is not stellar yet and not everyone realiszes how down the program was last season. But things seem to point in the right direction. That is already 3 wins more than last season, and a lot more hope to make .500 this season than the men. And all of that with a very shorthanded squad which has a lot of firepower sitting out and schedulled to join next season.

In my mind any success this year is icing on the cake.  From the moment she was hired, she loaded up for next year with talent returning to DFW. If they somehow manage to get to .500  at year end it will be a minor miracle.

So much fun watching this team play.  Exciting win by the ladies today.  These ladies have earned the right to be playing before larger crowds.  Too bad more students and Mean Green fans are not showing up.  

• Upvote 1