MGB: Recruiting status report (expert says UNT in tough spot)

Brett Vito

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Hate to break it to you Ben, but sometimes the truth hurts.  
Right now, North Texas is not in a good position.  And honestly, there hasn't been much positive news for Brett to report.  If you want all-good-all-the-time stories, go to MeanGreenSports.com and never click on Vito's blog again.  I don't know Brett Vito, but I HIGHLY DOUBT he has some sort of conspiracy planned to keep North Texas athletics down by only highlighting negative aspects of the program.    
We suck in football.  We suck in basketball....  These are truths in which we should be able to agree.  What else is he supposed to say?

So what is the point of writing pointless articles aimed at pointing out the obvious with a negative slant?  It is the same question I have for the handful of posters on this board who claim they are fans but can only focus on the negative aspect of the current situation. 

Eventually people start tuning you out and turn against you. Witness recent events on this board as evidence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, greenit said:

So what is the point of writing pointless articles aimed at pointing out the obvious with a negative slant?  It is the same question I have for the handful of posters on this board who claim they are fans but can only focus on the negative aspect of the current situation. 

Eventually people start tuning you out and turn against you. Witness recent events on this board as evidence. 

Apparently some do not understand this. 

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I agree that it is a less than perfect situation.  That said, look at our recruiting classes the past 2 times we have brought in new coaches:

The 2007 class (Dodge's first): We only had 3 commits before January 20th (today's date).  It ended up being a pretty good class--the main problem was that too few of them remained in the program for more than a couple of years.

The 2011 class (Mac's first): We only had 4 commits before January 20th.  That class ended up being significantly better than the 2012 class and probably better than the 2013 class (it certainly was on paper).

The 2016 class (Littrell's first): On January 20th, we have 4 (maybe 5) high school commits, 3 juco commits, and 2 P5 transfers who look to be better at their positions than anything we've had at those positions in a while.  I would love to see more, but we look to be better situated at this point in the game than in the past when we've had a coaching change.

Great post

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenit said:

I think this is why i am feeling so down about next season before we have played a game.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think this is why i am feeling so down about next season before we have played a game.

The reason you are down about next season has nothing to do with an article written by a reporter. It is the logic deep within you fighting like hell to get past the denial. 

RV is still here, and logically you know that means bad things for this program. 

No matter how hard you try to deny it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The reason you are down about next season has nothing to do with an article written by a reporter. It is the logic deep within you fighting like hell to get past the denial. 

RV is still here, and logically you know that means bad things for this program. 

Has anyone seen mean green sunglasses and my cup of green kool aid?

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, greenit said:

This particular article is not "pointless".  It is articulating the position UNT is in right now as far as football recruiting goes.   We're dead last according to most recruiting services.   That is news.  It's bad, no, horrible news, but it is news worthy of being reported.  
If you're reading a "negative slant"... whatever that is, I suggest you take off the green-tinted glasses and re-read the article objectively.  You'll see he's simply reporting the news.  The reason it has a "negative slant" is because as of right now, UNT's recruiting is dead last in C-USA.  There's no way around that.  
If your argument is for him to just ignore this and not write about the bad stuff... then right now, there's not going to be much he can write about... because our program, OBJECTIVELY, is terrible.
We all have hope that Littrell can change that.  I believe he can (at least, offensively).  But as of right now (which is the only time Vito can write about for "news") we're just plain dead-last.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, greenit said:

He's trying to temper sometimes unrealistic expectations. He reads the board and he has seen posts touting how much better this class will be than Macs dartboard classes. When a team has a new coach there is excitement. New staff, new schemes, new players, etc... Vito is trying to let us know that it will not be easy for Littrell and this class. We can't go all Jonestown when we offer(and sign) players with zero stars and zero other FBS offers. There will be a flip or two that pleases everyone and there will also be a few "huh" signings. As Bill Parcells says, "You are what you are" and right now we are one of the worst programs in FBS and have been for a while, but Littrell is slowly changing that. He is gonna need TIME.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And there it is, and I didn't even drag you in to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, greenit said:

Na, most of those people (like you) didn't turn against the message. They were pretty much against the message from the beginning. 

Funny how you say "turn against you." It's like you are dying to make it personal.

Good luck with the intimidation tactics against Vito. Maybe a poll of GMG.com about banning Vito's articles from being posted on this forum is in order...

Lolz...

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This particular article is not "pointless".  It is articulating the position UNT is in right now as far as football recruiting goes.   We're dead last according to most recruiting services.   That is news.  It's bad, no, horrible news, but it is news worthy of being reported.  
If you're reading a "negative slant"... whatever that is, I suggest you take off the green-tinted glasses and re-read the article objectively.  You'll see he's simply reporting the news.  The reason it has a "negative slant" is because as of right now, UNT's recruiting is dead last in C-USA.  There's no way around that.  
If your argument is for him to just ignore this and not write about the bad stuff... then right now, there's not going to be much he can write about... because our program, OBJECTIVELY, is terrible.
We all have hope that Littrell can change that.  I believe he can (at least, offensively).  But as of right now (which is the only time Vito can write about for "news") we're just plain dead-last.

YIXnev3.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2