MGB: Five thoughts following UNT's loss to Tennessee

Brett Vito

Vito is right and wrong.

Our MLB has been one of the biggest problems we fought all year.  Wallace may be a great kid and a leader, but he cannot play at this level.  He is almost always a step behind.

Same with Smith and Whitfield.  Smith drops in the most critical situations and Whitfield was benched before (see Ball State 2013).  He is a senior and a role player.  I'm glad he came back, but he will not be missed for his play.  And I won't miss the Jimmy show either.

Canales is doing exactly what he did last time he took over a dismal situation.  He gets the kids to play hard.  He has things in the game plan each week that are new.  He has a good sense of timing on when to pull them out of the bag.  But, I'm afraid he will be connected with all the struggles and not given a real chance to stay here.  And, after the display on the sidelines last week between one of our coaches and players that cost us a timeout, I'm okay if he goes.  He has done everything he can every time he has been given a chance and will make a good head coach someday... but somewhere else.

And I don't agree with those that think this will be a long, slow rebuild.  This team is closer than many think.

• Upvote 5

Yea, he keeps saying we'll miss these players. Although, he says that every year it seems. Couldn't believe Smith's drop that was a drive killer. Or Carlos not going north & south. Both plays ending drives, and both plays because it seemed as though the players were afraid of contact...

I've been a big fan of Carlos throughout his career, but this year has made it very hard. He has a very poor attitude on the sidelines which leads me to believe he has a poor attitude in locker room, weight room, etc. 

We really aren't losing a ton of difference makers, and the ones that we are losing, it might be addition by subtraction. 

The losses Vito keeps mentioning we'll miss, we have missed. That's why we've gotten worse every year since 2013. Awful recruiting means we don't exactly reload when starters who contributed graduate

• Upvote 5

Yea, he keeps saying we'll miss these players. Although, he says that every year it seems. Couldn't believe Smith's drop that was a drive killer. Or Carlos not going north & south. Both plays ending drives, and both plays because it seemed as though the players were afraid of contact...

I've been a big fan of Carlos throughout his career, but this year has made it very hard. He has a very poor attitude on the sidelines which leads me to believe he has a poor attitude in locker room, weight room, etc. 

We really aren't losing a ton of difference makers, and the ones that we are losing, it might be addition by subtraction. 

We have a new coach coming in. There may be additional personnel turnover due to transfers.

• Upvote 1

We have a new coach coming in. There may be additional personnel turnover due to transfers.

Unless those transfers are Juco's or grad-student-one-year-eligible-can't-miss-players (you know, like the QB's Skip Holtz is able to find) we aren't going to see a huge immediate difference.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but if we don't change things quick, we are going to have the most underutilized great facilities in all of CUSA. 

I've said this before. It's going to take a full court press to get this thing going again. We need a coach and athletic department staff that will hit the streets like something out of the "Music Man" to get the attention of the alumni, general public, and students. 

Canales is so good I doubt he will even get an OC job next year at the FBS and FCS level, let alone a head coaching job unless he drops down to high school. Other than being a cheerleader he has done nothing anyone else won't have done. Like yesterday people ignore that Tennessee was not putting forth a strong effort, and credit the defense as if Canales did anything, holy cow. The defense is still the same no better no worse. An intense team will show that, and then people will be surprised and say wow they looked much better last weekend. But No, they really did not. Besides the point that Canales made this situation himself how do you write that off?

The losses Vito keeps mentioning we'll miss, we have missed. That's why we've gotten worse every year since 2013. Awful recruiting means we don't exactly reload when starters who contributed graduate

I can look at our current squad and see the contributors our next bowl-competitive Mean Green football team. I think Wilson, Ivery, Goree, Bradley, McClain, and Dillman will all be dudes on that next team, whether that is 2017 or 2018. I think with another offseason of first team reps and work that Smith and Johnson will be better next season than they have been this season, but I don't expect we're going to be bowl-competitive next season. Better? I hope so. Bowl-better? No.

110% agree with BillySee58. Offensively-minded HC, defensively-minded HC, wishbone, spread, 46, Tampa 2, whatever the hell else, our next HC has got to either be a recruiting boss or bring in assistants who can be recruiting bosses.

• Upvote 1